Author Topic: '74 Special on auction at BaT  (Read 294 times)

Offline BDA

'74 Special on auction at BaT
« on: Friday,May 24, 2024, 08:23:13 AM »
A very original Special is on auction at BaT. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-lotus-europa-12/

It was restored very nicely. The body off restoration included upgrading the boosters to Lockheed units and in spite of the non-standard carpeting (and the door panels look unnecessarily sad), they chose to accentuate the fuel catch tank with chrome brackets and even polished the crossover pipes!!

Offline Richard48Y

Re: '74 Special on auction at BaT
« Reply #1 on: Friday,May 24, 2024, 11:46:39 AM »
BAT always leave me shaking my head in wonder/disgust.
So many terrible or overvalued cars selling for so much more than than any Europa.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,May 25, 2024, 08:57:58 AM »
I'm amazed at what some people will pay for something too.

For example, who buys a Bugatti Veyron? A quick look at the BaT history shows three examples that were bid to $1M or more but apparently did not meet the reserve. The newest one was a 2010 model and all had less than 10,000 miles on them. Well, nobody snagged any of those but if somebody had put down the money the seller thought was justified, what would the buyer do with it? I guess there are people with enough disposable income or assets to buy a car for well over $1M and use it to be seen at a car show or lend it out to be viewed at a shopping center... And apparently nobody is really interested in driving them (or maybe they can't afford to after putting down the money to buy it). I'm willing to believe they are an engineering marvel and all but really...

Contrast that with any number of cars - but since we're hear to talk about Europas, let's consider them. Europas are affordable to buy and maintain, they are a blast to drive, and if it's important to you (and even if it isn't), they attract a lot of positive attention nearly everywhere you park one. I can only guess that people who own very expensive cars consider them investments.

Getting back to this TC Special being auctioned, I just noticed that the seller posted that the crossover pipes are blocked off! So they are there just for show. I'm not sure why one would want to show them off...   :P

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,May 30, 2024, 12:58:02 PM »
It sold for $21,500. That seemed pretty cheap to me. There were some obvious flaws - especially with the interior but that would be really inexpensive to fix up. There was no driving or cold start video. There was a start video showing no smoke from the tailpipe but I think having a driving and cold start video would have given potential buyers a bit more comfort.

There was a reserve on it and when the bid was $21,250, the seller said the reserve had been met so tt could have been met sooner. It was a good sale for both buyer and seller but I thought it was nicer than the final price indicated.

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,May 30, 2024, 02:00:52 PM »
I expected higher as well. And I may be about to pull the plug on listing my TCS on BAT.  Either on this auction or another, a commenter opined that prices are getting soft all around, who knows. But then again, this seller couldn't find the engine number and made this curious comment:  I was unprepared for the level of engagement necessary of seller but I respect all the questions .

Apparently listed it on BAT without reading any other auction comment list?

1974 TVR 2500M
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed (gone)
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,May 30, 2024, 03:12:33 PM »
BAT always leave me shaking my head in wonder/disgust.
So many terrible or overvalued cars selling for so much more than than any Europa.

I second that!
  I cant believe the prices of VW BUGS, Or even the vans , I drove one down to the Jersey shore with a dirt bike in the back and couldnt even get to the posted speed limit of 55 . I blew the engine and replaced it before giving it back to my neighbor that LENT it to me.
Dakazman