Author Topic: Another 46 to 47 project!  (Read 16569 times)

Offline Richard48Y

Re: Another 46 to 47 project!
« Reply #150 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 04:48:55 PM »
It would make no sense to have to cut anything for a simple service item like this.
Sure, they were not intended to be on the road fifty years later but a cable might need service in only a couple of years.
So as Kendo said, follow the cable from the pedal back.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #151 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 06:02:03 PM »
Richard I agree with you; something so simple as a cable bracket should be repairable without so much work needing to get to it as cutting the body or seat away, but back from the pedal all the way to the seat is just frame rail before it tucks under the interior bodywork either side of the tunnel/backbone. Midway down the seat there are the 2 holes that show the sheathing covering the clutch cable but there's no bracket that I can see in any form. This is what's under my seat and in my footwell. JB do you happen to have any pics of the front bracket handy you can post here?
« Last Edit: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 06:06:50 PM by DreamsOfA47 »

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #152 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 06:16:58 PM »
Upper cable for throttle, correct?
Hard to make out in the pic, just above the floor, reaching very nearly to the pedal.
Is that the cable sheath or a rod reaching back and picking up a shorter cable further back?

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #153 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 06:24:38 PM »
I'm sorry the picture quality isn't great. Its dark here and the iPhone camera isn't great but I can try and get some better lit ones tomorrow when the sun is out. Yes the upper cable is the throttle. The black running from the lower pedal along the frame is the sheathing on the clutch cable, however the cable then has a thicker, metal sheath running through the seat and to the engine mount.

Online BDA

« Reply #154 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 06:46:41 PM »
Shouldn’t the sheath go from near the pedals to an abutment nearer the clutch arm?

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #155 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 07:09:30 PM »
well I can tell you that there's a rear abutment near the clutch arm in the engine mount and the sheathing does seem to go all the way to that abutment. JB mentions a front abutment in the S1s but I can't seem to find any front bracket of any kind. How is the twin cam clutch set up?

All I can tell for sure is that the cable isn't sitting in the rear abutment, and the pedal can be pushed to the floor with considerable resistance and it doesn't return to position after its let off. Also when the pedal is depressed the arm doesn't move any further than I can move twitch my hand, which is just a minuscule amount of forward travel

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #156 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 07:37:24 PM »
Here are some exploded views of the assemblies and interestingly there doesn't seem to be a front bracket for the S1 pedal and cable assembly, but there's definitely one in the S2 exploded assembly off to the bottom left. The S1 is top and the S2 is bottom and its interesting how different they are from each other. These were screen-grabbed from RD Enterprise's website and the upper is for the S1 while the bottom is described as S2 and S2 Federal

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #157 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 07:49:27 PM »
S2 shows the bracket/tab/abutment for the outer cable sleeve.
S1 pic does not but it pretty well has to be at about the same location.
There has to be some sort of forward stop for the outer cable sleeve.
Without that the whole cable, inner and outer, will just pull forward with the pedal arm.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #158 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 07:59:31 PM »
I agree with your assertion that there has to be some sort of forward stop but I'm not sure as to how its designed or where it's located. I can't seem to move the sheathing or cable fore or aft but I can move it up and down quite a bit. I mess with it quite a bit today but is far haven't found anything. Maybe JB or someone else who's fixed the issue on an S1 has some pics laying around they can post.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #159 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 08:15:23 PM »
This diagram shows a clutch abutment:

It's the bracket on the chassis just above the RH 46B-6001.

It's not accurate as S1s never came in RHD but the illustration shows you roughly where it will be on the left side.  You will have to drill a hole in the raised floor section under the driver's seat base.  Use a hole saw.  You have to be able to get your hand in so make it a good size.
« Last Edit: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 08:22:16 PM by jbcollier »

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #160 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 08:22:52 PM »
JB is the abutment the tab located near 46B-6001? That looks like it may be it...

Have you had to fix the front abutment on an S1? Did you have to cut into the seat to access it?

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #161 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 08:43:12 PM »
Here's a picture from Serge's blog showing what I think may be the abutment visible through the massive hole in in the seat. The strange thing is I can't see any bolt holes or rivets or anything passing through the chassis that would indicate a bracket being attached when I look at the inside of the frame via the access hole. Are they welded on, perhaps?
« Last Edit: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 08:45:31 PM by DreamsOfA47 »

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #162 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 09:05:24 PM »
Even expanding the Serg pic details are hard to make out.
But, it looks like there may be a right-angle (Downward) bend piece of flat-stock at the right edge near the tunnel which is the forward abutment for the cable sheath.
Does you system have ONLY the inner cable visible forward of the seat?
Pretty heavy piece of flat-stock, I would expect a bolt or two holding it in place.
Paging Joji?

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #163 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 09:31:46 PM »
Sadly that was the largest copy of the Serge pic I could find. If one looks closely one can see the clutch cable running along Serge's very rusty frame in the same way mine does. Only the cable is exposed forward of the seat not the reinforced sheath. The cable is exposed from the attachment point on the pedal assembly to the bodywork enclosing the chassis as it runs through the passenger cab.

If that is in fact the abutment bracket then it seems I will have to cut the seat in order to get to it and THAT is something is was hoping to avoid, but if I can't even see the bracket then I can't establish whether or not its the broken component...  :headbanger: :blowup:

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #164 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 09:42:01 PM »
Still seems odd the abutment would be so inaccessible but maybe overlooked as simple until the body goes on?
But even then, a BONDED body makes the flaw so much worse!  :confused:
I have a thought, get a longer cable assembly (S2?) and put a new forward abutment up where it is accessible.

Do you have or can you borrow a Bore-Scope?
Probably best if it has a flexible shaft.
There may be enough space between the chassis and seat to get a look without cutting?
« Last Edit: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 09:44:30 PM by Richard48Y »