Author Topic: new member  (Read 65503 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: new member
« Reply #315 on: Thursday,March 31, 2016, 10:40:13 PM »
i've been looking at this for over a year, and have convinced myself this crossbeam has been modified.
seems a method of raising the rearend, or something?
was it notched and bolted lower on the chassis?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, comparing with my TC it is mounted higher on the chassis. It looks like someone's drilled an extra hole and reduced the gap between the crossmember and the chassis leg.  Just exactly why someone would want to make a Europa look like Starsky & Hutch's Torino I'm not sure, I can't imagine it does the handling any favours.

One other thought did occur to me, that if the S2 and TC crossmembers are different dimensions then someone might have altered a s/h spare to fit and that's why it's been hacked about ? The S2 & TC have different part numbers, but whether that's just because of the bracing the TC has or if it's dimensionally different I don't know.

Brian

Offline rascott

« Reply #316 on: Saturday,April 02, 2016, 12:48:58 AM »
the "starsky and hutch" look was pretty popular in the '70's, but i was playing with vws at the time, so i missed out.
i can see cutting it up again, and glueing some new steel in place, then bolting it back where we figure it really should be....
other than the bracing, how different could the tc xbeam be?(this is ignorance speaking).
nice picture. thanks, it helps.
richard

xsytmnt040416
finally got what i've been looking for. a way to move "the lotus".
some assembly still required........

yep040516
amused myself w/overhauling the r/h spindle/trunnion/hub pieces. the balljoints had no grease or grease cups, so i have new ones on the way from ray......
« Last Edit: Tuesday,April 05, 2016, 09:24:42 PM by rascott »

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday,April 06, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »
I checked my car this morning and my cross member is clearly mounted higher. Mine is a 73 TC, so maybe the crossmembers are different  :confused:

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline rascott

« Reply #318 on: Wednesday,April 06, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »
that is clearly how mine would have looked, with what was cut away.
i am keeping a lookout for appropriate material- i should fit it into my drivetrain planning.

that all looks way clean and neat.
thanks for the thoughts

frntendupdate040916
think all the right parts are here, but the swaybar seems to have grown(wider), and harder to put on.
i will have to loose about two inches for it to fit the shock studs......
i am impressed with the trunnions. didn't realize they were brass 'till cleaning 'em. new bushings installed.
new ball joints, also.
got kinda rained out, mabe wheels on tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Saturday,April 09, 2016, 12:29:59 AM by rascott »

Offline BDA

« Reply #319 on: Saturday,April 09, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
i've been looking at this for over a year, and have convinced myself this crossbeam has been modified.
seems a method of raising the rearend, or something?
was it notched and bolted lower on the chassis?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, comparing with my TC it is mounted higher on the chassis. It looks like someone's drilled an extra hole and reduced the gap between the crossmember and the chassis leg.  Just exactly why someone would want to make a Europa look like Starsky & Hutch's Torino I'm not sure, I can't imagine it does the handling any favours.

One other thought did occur to me, that if the S2 and TC crossmembers are different dimensions then someone might have altered a s/h spare to fit and that's why it's been hacked about ? The S2 & TC have different part numbers, but whether that's just because of the bracing the TC has or if it's dimensionally different I don't know.

Brian

I didn't notice this before but your crossmember looks much lower than mine did (I have Richard's twin link and so a different crossmember now). Mine was like Joe's.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #320 on: Saturday,April 09, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »
I didn't notice this before but your crossmember looks much lower than mine did (I have Richard's twin link and so a different crossmember now). Mine was like Joe's.

It does look different from Joe's and I can't offer any explanation why because as far as I know every TC has the same bit there.  This is the one that came with the car and I've not made any mods to it, the bolt holes in the chassis & crossmember are as they came.  Lotus eh ?  every car a little adventure......

Offline BDA

« Reply #321 on: Saturday,April 09, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »
It was customized just for you, Brian!  :)

:lotus:

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #322 on: Saturday,April 09, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
I thought "some months" as well when I picked up my "complete and running in rough condition 1970 S2.   That was 3 years ago...  I'm just getting the body back on now.  I'm old as well and anxious to see it running again too... But I wouldn't trade a second of the joy I've experienced watching it come together.  Keep the faith and enjoy the experience of getting to know your treasure intimately.  Good luck, and welcome to a group of car owners smaller than the number of cars Ford produces in one day.

Bruce
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline rascott

« Reply #323 on: Saturday,April 09, 2016, 10:40:10 PM »
it is great fun, playing with "the lotus".
i am pleased to have it back on it's wheels, and expect to street it some tomorrow......
i hope to have some adjustment room, because the toe-out is quite obvious.
otherwise, the frontend seems together correctly............

want to drive it for a bit, but must replace the clutch real soon.

Offline BDA

« Reply #324 on: Sunday,April 10, 2016, 06:03:29 AM »
Looks great, rascott!  :trophy:

Offline rascott

« Reply #325 on: Saturday,April 23, 2016, 10:03:24 PM »
i hope to have some adjustment room, because the toe-out is quite obvious.
otherwise, the frontend seems together correctly............

well, there was no adjusting the toe-out out.
way overconfident of my "understanding" the workshop manual.

i thought the longer tierod adapters were correct, as they came with the car, and the short replacement had to be wrong.
i was sure the dimensions fit the specs, and used a spacer to make the short one "longer".
got another short one, and removed the spacer from the modified one.

results seem better, but still may have some toe-out.
gonna have to think about this more.............and visit my alignment guy.
mabe it's my glasses.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #326 on: Saturday,April 23, 2016, 11:14:16 PM »
When I assembled my front end I eyeballed my alignment and, frankly, I got it wrong.  I wasn't eyeballing it to drive, just to push around while I continued working.  I borrowed a tracking gauge from work and now it pushes with hardly any effort at all.

Long story short: actually measure your toe before fixing it.

Offline rascott

« Reply #327 on: Sunday,April 24, 2016, 07:25:43 AM »
what i thought would have been a short story(replace tie-rod ends), certainly turned into a long one.....
i guess some other vehicle uses similar adapters, and this unit must have used up tires like crazy, 'cause they appeared original to me, and had been on for a real long time.......
i got replacement adapters(one at a time) from rdent, and probably should have been clued in that things weren't right when i got the first one. overall dimensions are similar, but assembled are @ 1/4" different.
with the "shorter" ones fully adjusted, the wheels point forward, at least.
i'm trying to come up with a way to measure this better.
my alignment guy is used to my projects, but is going to retire soon.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #328 on: Sunday,April 24, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »
i'm trying to come up with a way to measure this better.
my alignment guy is used to my projects, but is going to retire soon.

If you're talking about wheel alignment, I use the string method for doing the rear wheels but it works on the front as well.

Although having an expert with proper kit do the job for you is much easier and probably more accurate, this seems good enough to get the car moving around. In the past I've set mine & had the local garage check it on their hunter setup and we've been roughly in agreement.

Brian
http://www.martley.plus.com/lotusland2016/europa/16europa17.html

Offline rascott

« Reply #329 on: Sunday,April 24, 2016, 07:38:27 PM »
once again, i appreciate the comments and information from this forum's members!
got me inspired to play a bit, and make the neighbors roll their eyes(there he goes again), as i puttered around.
a couple of local stretches where 35-40mph is acceptable made me feel good, but i'm not running the freeway yet.
put the seat belt in- still only have the driver's seat installed- just because.....
i think i'll monkey with some electrics and try refining the carburetor jetting, but figure on pulling the drivetrain out in a few weeks.
brian- that website you linked is a gem. good info and a great read. thnx.
i will use that alignment method(a version, at least) prior to serious driving, as jbcollier suggested.
richard