Author Topic: Greetings from new member Surfguitar58  (Read 2067 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Greetings from new member Surfguitar58
« on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 05:23:26 AM »
Greetings fellow Europians, thank you for allowing me to join this exciting community. Please allow me to reintroduce 4043R into polite society. Her odometer reads 11,000 miles. She appears to have her original exterior paint in reasonable shape, her upholstery seems original and immaculate, and her undercarriage is clean and rust free. Andy Graham at Lotus confirms 4043R was a white Special, but I am a little suspicious that her frame components are painted battleship gray instead of the usual black I see in most photos. Does anyone know if gray frame paint was a factory thing, or is this a tip off of a body-off resto? (She SAYS she’s a virgin.) Unfortunately her previous owner is deceased and took all history of the car before 2009 with him to the grave. He left the car to a buddy of his, and that is who I bought it from. For now, my plans for the car are to drive it only on dry summer days and store it for the New England winter. I may work my way up to autocross or other gentle motorsport eventually.

The car seems to be mostly stock, other than that throaty voiced header and Magnaflow muffler you can see in the photos. She also has an aftermarket electric fuel pump, and her two brake boosters were removed, necessitating a certain forceful authority be applied to the brake pedal if you want to stop. (I’ve been reading with great interest some of the brake-mod posts on this site, like swapping a dual S2 master cylinder with a smaller piston bore or switching to grippier brake pads.) One side effect of the header is interference with the trunk (boot) box (lost) and the battery is where the missing spare tire should be. Anybody know where I can pick up a tool kit, jack and spare tire, or at least a compatible rim? If I can find a serviceable boot box I may try modifying it to fit the muffler; many years of clumsy boat ownership have resulted in me being reasonably good with fiberglass. The old fuel pump and the 2 power brake cans did come with the car. I have no idea if they are any good or if they were removed because they were defective.

What are the communities’ thoughts on adjustable coil-over shocks to lower the stance down from Fed mandated ride height to the original design height? (I could maybe do this AFTER I get my Mass vehicle inspection sticker). Until I get to know the car, no major mechanical changes are contemplated, although I might look into that S2 master cylinder thing. I have owned a couple of BMWs (a 2002 and a tii) and an Alfa Spyder (before kids and the dreaded Volvo years) but this is my first Lotus. I fell in love with the Europa when I first saw one when I was 13 and have wanted one ever since. I am a mechanical engineer (robotics) and will do my own maintenance and simple mechanical stuff, but I am in the market for a good mechanic north of Boston who knows all the satanic rituals involved in balancing Zenith Stromberg carburetors and related British voodoo. I look forward to hearing what other owners are doing and exchanging ideas on these remarkable cars. Thanks again for allowing me to join.
Tom (aka Surfguitar58)
« Last Edit: Monday,November 13, 2017, 11:10:11 AM by LotusJoe »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline elcaminokid

Re: Greetings from new member Surfguitar58
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 05:39:27 AM »
those headers look ace!

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 06:39:36 AM »
 :Welcome: , surfguitar58!

She looks to be in pretty good shape. I've never seen an original frame painted gray so I would assume you have a new frame. I think Tilton is probably where you'll want to go for your master cylinder. The boosters are rebuildable if you want to go that route - most wouldn't. I'm not aware of any shocks available now for the Europa that aren't adjustable so even the originalists wouldn't have a problem with them. Tool kits come up on eBay from time to time. Lotus Brand wheels may be harder to find. New trunk trays are available or you might be able to make your own. Headers that follow the stock route under the engine and out on the passenger side are available if you are interested.

Good luck, don't be a stranger, and post lots of pictures!  ;D
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 09:41:35 AM by BDA »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 06:54:18 AM »
 :Welcome:

Great looking Europa! Love those headers!

Offline E Paul

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »
Where abouts in MA are you? I am in Duxbury.
Paul

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 01:30:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Have you looked one the registry? 4043r might be in there along with pictures, some owners
Document a lot about their vehicle?

You have one nice Europa there , congrats from Florida.

Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »
If you are going without boosters, a 0.70 master cylinder has good feel and reasonable travel.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »
Paul
Hi Paul; I’m in Marblehead. Maybe meet at a Larz Anderson lawn thingy some time. Know a good mechanic in the Boston area?
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 03:12:43 PM »
If you are going without boosters, a 0.70 master cylinder has good feel and reasonable travel.
Sounds like boosterless is the way to go. Are the 0.70” MCs the same as the S2? Has anyone reduced MC bore by sleeveing a stock dual TCS MC?
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Have you looked one the registry? 4043r might be in there along with pictures, some owners
Document a lot about their vehicle?

You have one nice Europa there , congrats from Florida.

Dakazman
Alas, 4045R is the closest to mine in the registry. No trace of 4043R. Lotus archivist confirms 4043R shipped to Lotus East on the US east coast, and I even found a guy with a web site about Lotus East (they had a racing presence) but he says all records are long gone. The search goes on.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
:Welcome: , surfguitar58!

She looks to be in pretty good shape. I've never seen an original frame painted gray so I would assume you have a new frame. I think Tilton is probably where you'll want to go for your master cylinder. The boosters are rebuildable if you want to go that route - most wouldn't. I'm not aware of any shocks available now for the Europa that aren't adjustable so even the originalists wouldn't have a problem with them. Tool kits come up on eBay from time to time. Lotus Brand wheels may be harder to find. New trunk trays are available or you might be able to make your own. Headers that follow the stock route under the engine and out on the passenger side are available if you are interested.

Good luck, don't be a stranger, and post lots of pictures!  ;D
Thanks! Boosterless sounds like the right call. I’ll research front suspension, but it sounds like dropping the bow is more involved than a shock swap. I’m learning. Do you know what rim was used for the OEM spare tire? Authentic detail is worth striving for, but in the meantime, I’d just feel better with any ol’ compatible rim knowing there was a usable spare up front.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,November 12, 2017, 04:23:26 PM »
The TC is designed with a nose that rides higher than the S2 because of headlight height regulations. Shorter front springs can help there. Popular spring rates are 250/130. The spare for cast wheel was a cast wheel mounted with a front (175/70-13). Check out http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1389.0 for sources and places to find information.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #12 on: Monday,November 13, 2017, 04:15:57 AM »
Nice looking TCS! Welcome to the madness. Mine is 4397. I've got a alloy rim if you are interested. It will need polishing and maybe paint. Shoot a message, and I'll dig it out and take pics.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #13 on: Monday,November 13, 2017, 06:19:27 AM »
I’d go for adjustable spring/damper units. You can then pay around with ride height. Here in the UK Richard are Banks europa does nice set of Avo’s
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline E Paul

« Reply #14 on: Monday,November 13, 2017, 07:16:42 AM »
Paul
Hi Paul; I’m in Marblehead. Maybe meet at a Larz Anderson lawn thingy some time. Know a good mechanic in the Boston area?
I do all of my own work on all my cars. I do have a friend down this way that has a shop and I sometimes use his place for a tool I might use once every ten years, but that doesn's help you. So no, I don't have anyone I would recommend.