Author Topic: Windscreen trim and fitting  (Read 1054 times)

Offline RafM

Windscreen trim and fitting
« on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 03:34:02 AM »
Hello all,

There seems to be only one screen surround molding available which all of the suppliers sell, I believe it comes from Paul Matty.
The profile is rounded instead of faceted and it's slightly bigger than the original, this means it needs careful trimming and shaping to fit the original alloy corner pieces. The foil 'chrome' finish is extremely fragile, if you try to bend it when it's too cold it wrinkles, it you get it slightly too hot it wrinkles. In short, my opinion is that it's poor quality and overpriced.

I'm at the screen fitting stage and am seriously considering leaving the trim off completely, or finding a different one that can be put on after the screen is bonded in place.

Does anyone have any any decent photos or ideas of alternatives?

Thanks, Raf.

Offline califkid_66

Re: Windscreen trim and fitting
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 05:33:13 AM »
hi Raf i bought my moldings from kelvedon same size as original i used the original aluminum corners
for installation i did a little write up i have no idea how to post the link
if you use the search button at the top and just write  fitting bonded then ou will see a post from    John r  writen bonded windscreen fitting you will have pictures and descriptions how to

Offline RafM

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 07:12:16 AM »
Thanks califkid_66

Kelvedon sell the same moulding as everyone else.

I know how to fit everything but I'm considering alternatives to this trim.

Raf.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 07:57:45 AM »
califkid_66, posting a link is no different from posting any other text. You can copy and paste a link like I did below. No other fiddling required.

RafM, if you have a problem with Kelvedon, Lotus Supplies claims to have the right stuff (https://www.lotus-supplies.com/part-category/bodywork/glass-bodywork/page/2/ also look on the previous page).

Offline RafM

« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 08:15:11 AM »
califkid_66, posting a link is no different from posting any other text. You can copy and paste a link like I did below. No other fiddling required.

RafM, if you have a problem with Kelvedon, Lotus Supplies claims to have the right stuff (https://www.lotus-supplies.com/part-category/bodywork/glass-bodywork/page/2/ also look on the previous page).

Hi BDA,

Lotus supplies sell the same trim as everybody else, there is no other profile available.

Fitting is not a problem but the trim is of poor quality and patently the wrong size & profile, I'm looking
to find alternatives that others may have come across.

Raf.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #5 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 08:24:44 AM »
I don't have a photo, but this type of universal T moulding was used on a Europa I saw and looked fine. Simple mitered cuts at the corners. It gives a much more flush look than the Lotus trim.
https://www.gggcorp.com/Universal_Mouldings.html
Should be able to get similar moulding in Europe I would think.

Offline Triton

« Reply #6 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
I had the same problem, I bought the new trim from one of the Lotus suppliers. I cut it to lengths and let it gently warm over a radiator. I glued the channel to the glass with Sikoflex and held it in place with masking tape every 6" and left it overnight. When i removed the tape some of the chrome finish came off with it .I tried again with a small piece of cloth between tape and moulding but the chrome wrinkled.I contacted the suppliers and was refunded. This trim is not designed to bend ,it is ok on straight runs like the sides of the screen. If it is fitted and left with wrinkles it will just get worse over time and to replace would mean the glass out. On my car i got the windscreen man to bond the screen in and then i carefully glazed it in with Sikoflex. I think it looks very good and i know that it is not going to leak and and that the chrome is not going to look grotty after a few months....Stuart....

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #7 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 11:24:22 AM »
Has anyone tried using just silicon to bond the windscreen in place - no rubber used?

Tom

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #8 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 12:46:13 PM »
I would not bond in the windshield with silicone. The bonding strength is inadequate and will probably leak in the future. There is no advantage of using silicone over urethane.
It has been mentioned that windshields could be bonded in with no trim moulding. If the gap between glass and the painted body is not too great that would work.
This is my GT40 without windshield moulding.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #9 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 08:32:24 PM »
Is the urethane the only thing that holds the windscreen in place on the GT40 - no clips?  Do the 'windscreen pros' use something better than urethane?  Is there something about the shape of the body/windscreen interface that would make bonding not a good idea?

Tom

Offline Triton

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 01:18:18 AM »
I do know there are two types of Europa screens. Early cars had the screen held in with a rubber moulding between glass and body and a narrow chrome trim that fitted in a groove in the rubber. Later cars had the screen bonded in and the wide chrome moulding bonded in with it. I think  RafMs screen in the bonded in type like mine on a 73 Special, I don't know when they changed to bonded but i am sure someone out there will know. I am sure you cannot interchange the screens and fitting because they are slightly bigger in size and the bodyshell changed. Pleas correct me if i am wrong....Stuart...

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #11 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 03:22:34 AM »
My understanding is that the screens are all the same size, it's the bodyshell opening that was reduced when they started bonding the screens in.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #12 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 03:57:48 AM »
When I did my windshield (about 10 yrs. ago)...
 Sikaflex P2G & heat gun to form trim.

Offline RafM

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 05:07:02 AM »
When I did my windshield (about 10 yrs. ago)...
 Sikaflex P2G & heat gun to form trim.

Looks great, how did the finish on the trim hold up over time?

Offline RafM

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 05:10:15 AM »
I had the same problem, I bought the new trim from one of the Lotus suppliers. I cut it to lengths and let it gently warm over a radiator. I glued the channel to the glass with Sikoflex and held it in place with masking tape every 6" and left it overnight. When i removed the tape some of the chrome finish came off with it .I tried again with a small piece of cloth between tape and moulding but the chrome wrinkled.I contacted the suppliers and was refunded. This trim is not designed to bend ,it is ok on straight runs like the sides of the screen. If it is fitted and left with wrinkles it will just get worse over time and to replace would mean the glass out. On my car i got the windscreen man to bond the screen in and then i carefully glazed it in with Sikoflex. I think it looks very good and i know that it is not going to leak and and that the chrome is not going to look grotty after a few months....Stuart....

That is exactly my point, the suppliers sell this junk at an inflated price as it's all they can get hold of, I don't want to have to pull the entire screen out in two years time and risk breaking it and damaging the paintwork unnecessarily.

Could you post a photo of your if you get a chance?

« Last Edit: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 05:12:05 AM by RafM »