Author Topic: Windscreen trim and fitting  (Read 1060 times)

Offline SwiftDB4

Re: Windscreen trim and fitting
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 08:35:12 AM »
Is the urethane the only thing that holds the windscreen in place on the GT40 - no clips?  Do the 'windscreen pros' use something better than urethane?  Is there something about the shape of the body/windscreen interface that would make bonding not a good idea?

Tom
Yes only the urethane holds the windshield in place. It's the same on the Europa - the trim is only cosmetic. Urethane is the best bonding agent, but I think the borders of the glass are treated with a primer first to increase adhesion.
I would set the windshield in the body opening to assess whether a trim moulding is needed. If the gaps are more than about 1/4" it probably won't look good without trim to cover the gap.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 08:49:31 AM »
I did find a photo of an S2 Europa with bonded screen and black flush moulding similar to what I referenced in an earlier post.
Sorry it's not a closeup.

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »
Here is a thread about alternative chrome windshield trim. I used it on my car. (http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=291.0J

It can be used on a bonded windshield because it is only a decorative trim that is glued over the gap around the windshield. It’s also very inexpensive compared to what is sold by the usual suspects. It is NOT an exact match or even an attempt at one. For example, the profile and width (a bit narrower) does not match the corners but it’s very similar. Looking back at previous posts, one of the problems was wrinkling in the foil encapsulated in the trim. This has no foil so there is no issue there. As I say, it’s not at all perfect but it’s not bad and depending on your standards it might be acceptable to you.

From past posts, it seems that the r. d. trim is very nice and much more authentic looking. Here is a link to Certified Lotus’ posts on his windshield installation (http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?action=post;topic=4863.15;last_msg=52697). It is also much more expensive.

To be honest, I wish I had gotten everything from r. d. enterprises because it was all paid for by the insurance company but I’m not unhappy with the trim I used and if you are paying for it out of pocket, it’s not a bad option.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 11:07:18 AM »
I bought the correct trim about 30 years ago from an old-Lotus mechanic/restorer when I bought a new windshield. Haven't installed them yet. The correct stuff has the cheap foil in it. So, might be a good place to become incorrect.

Offline Triton

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,October 27, 2021, 11:56:24 AM »
Sorry  RafT, I have not been able to post a photo of my screen which i have Sikoflexed in and not used any chrome surround, I am useless at posting photos.,my friend could do it but he is down with the Covid. Hope i can put  some on next week.  I am near Clitheroe, Lancs  if you are not too far off your welcome to have a look....Stuart....