Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154724 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #825 on: Wednesday,January 29, 2020, 07:35:46 PM »
I would agree with Certified. I have an oil cooler with an oil thermostat and given evidence from an IR thermometer, I think I've rarely needed it. If you're planning on sever use for some extended time and/of your engine is highly stressed an oil cooler would be useful, otherwise I'm not sure it's worth the trouble and expense.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #826 on: Wednesday,January 29, 2020, 07:44:01 PM »
I put my oil cooler up front.  It is not directly in the air flow but off to the side.  The back of the cooler is ducted to the wheel well.  AS you drive the plenum is pressurized and air flows through the cooler and out into the wheel well.  It works great.  It does, however involve a lot of plumbing.  And it complicates oil changes.  I have access ports in the lines so I can blow the old oil out of the cooler.  I use an electric pump to prime and pressurize the system with fresh oil.

I drive long distances and over steep mountain passes.  If you don't, you may not need an oil cooler.

Another solution can be found here:

https://www.prevanders.net/europa/oilsystem.html

This is the ONLY way to mount it in the rear compartment.  Any other position does diddly squat.

Offline BDA

« Reply #827 on: Wednesday,January 29, 2020, 08:30:39 PM »
JB, I think your A/C is a good reason to consider an oil cooler and that reminds me that D'man is planning on an A/C for his car too so an oil cooler might not be such a bad idea for him. I also agree that Dave Anderson's rear oil cooler implementation (the one your link points to) is the only one I've seen that makes sense (now that I know what I know).

Offline dakazman

« Reply #828 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 04:07:37 AM »
  First of all thanks for the well wishes. The snake was a Black snake and not poisonous. I’ve had one drop from a palm tree once and it landed around my neck. It was quickly ripped in half. . Florida, we got snakes.
  Certified, the S2 did not have an oil cooler stock. While I have the body off and plans for swapping out the original engine for a crossflow that I’m building with much more HP. Just a future modification.
  BDA and JB , thanks for giving me a starting point for this system . The additional hp and an A/C , the car may need it.
   My jobs for now are the foam around frame and pressurizing the brake lines. The holdup is that dang bearing...🤬 , I unpacked the rear window and new seal , tooling also arrived so it’s a go for that job.
At least one thing a day, then do one more. Lol.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #829 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 07:03:17 AM »
Maybe you could catch the next black snake that falls from a tree to us in NC. We love them! They eat mice and other vermin but best of all, they eat copperheads!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #830 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 07:33:19 AM »
A photo of my set up:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-SjHwgt2/A

There's a screen on the outlet into the wheel well to keep the snakes out.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #831 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »
If your convinced you need an oil cooler, I might suggest the shortest possible route with oil lines which makes the radiator location the engine bay. We all know the issues of the lack of air circulation in this area, therefore it might be possible to mount two small electric puller fans on the oil cooler radiator to assist in drawing the proper amount of Airflow.

JB, your install looks well thought out and installed extremely well. But it’s an awful lot of tubing/piping and fittings to move the oil to the front of the car. That alone would get me to think differently (oh boy, I think most of you already know that about me  8))

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #832 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 11:23:23 AM »
Agreed.  One of the issues with mid-engined vehicles is engine compartment heat.  The Europa is particularly afflicted with this problem.  One of the reasons for putting the oil cooler up front was to reduce the engine compartment heat load.  The ultimate solution would be too graft on air scoops that force air into the engine compartment.  Spoil the looks though.  The 47's NACA ducts look great but actually don't move much air either.

My next project is fit an engine cool air intake that draws from below.

Offline gideon

« Reply #833 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #834 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 01:41:02 PM »
It's a good idea and has the bonus of faster warms in cooler climates.  It does add more heat load to an already marginal rad though.

I wish there was a straight forward, easy solution but I haven't found one yet.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #835 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 02:57:40 PM »
   The first item should then be an oil temp gauge to get a little data of operating temps under different conditions. I will keep all this in mind.
  There are two cavities not utilized much that can help exhaust hot air out of the engine compartment into the forward part of the rear wheel wells. With the help of some fans , one on each side between the outer skin and the engine compartment.
  I’m also thinking about the best way to run the fuel line from the mechanical pump to the carb. I have seen directly over the distributor cap :blowup: and all the way around the front of engine. Any best practices are welcomed?

JB, snake screen...LOL  I hate snakes and spiders.
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #836 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 06:35:40 PM »
Actually the main air flow into the engine compartment is through the forward part of the rear wheel wells.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #837 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »
Which is where I put the large capacity air filter for the Weber AIRBOX.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #838 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 07:45:10 PM »
Actually the main air flow into the engine compartment is through the forward part of the rear wheel wells.
   In understanding what your both sayin; Air enters the engine compartment from the void behind the ww , behind the wall of the gas tanks and into the compartment. If that is true then i made the close out panels for nothing and they should not be installed.  My aft side of my rear ww are also sealed so that debris won’t get thrown in by tail lights.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #839 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »
Just to confuse you, pboedker worked out an interesting cool air setup for his TC that you might be able to adapt to your S2. It may not translate as well for a down draft carb but  it might be interesting to consider. Here is the thread about it: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2658.0

Peter wrote up a nice paper on it. I couldn't find it quickly in the thread but I have a copy so I've attached it.