Author Topic: Intake air temperature  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Pfreen

Intake air temperature
« on: Tuesday,June 19, 2018, 06:45:59 AM »
I recently measured the intake air temperature at the carburettor inlets.  My car is a tcs with the stromberg head, but two SU carbs with individual air cleaners.  The front carb measured 115 degrees and the rear carb was 125 degrees on an 82 degree day.  This was measured at highway speed. At idle, the temperatures rose 10 degrees.  This amount to about 7% loss of theoretical power.

Has anyone measured the air inlet temperature, especially with the stock air filter?   Also, has anyone done anything to reduce it, like a cold air inlet, or a cooling fan?

Offline jbcollier

Re: Intake air temperature
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,June 19, 2018, 08:41:30 AM »
Air flow in the engine area is the #1 problem with the Europa in my books.  The only solution I know of, that actually works, are forward-facing scoops directing air into the engine area.  These significantly alter the aesthetics and require major body work.  The NACA ducts commonly fitted do  help but they don’t actually flow much air.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,June 19, 2018, 08:58:59 AM »
I was considering two things.  An airbox with the air filter located down by the bottom half of the fuel tank.  I was also thinking about mounting a fan down by the fuel tank blowing cool air over the carbs.
Has anyone done any of those things?

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,June 19, 2018, 09:03:44 AM »
Air intake down low there would pick up a lot of road dirt, plus water off a wet road if you drive the car in the rain.

Any air from the front or the top would be very difficult to direct to the carb air intakes, or would look strange and would affect the aerodynamics/air drag.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 01:28:10 AM »
I have heard that leaving the chassis open at both ends helps but that may also allow lots of crap and moisture to enter as well.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 02:15:30 AM by jbcollier »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 06:07:23 AM »
Forum member Peter Boedker has written an article in the files section of the Yahoo Europa mail list titled:

"How to make a colder air intake on the Europa and gain some HP (Peter Boedker, 3904R)".

Unfortunately the article is in, I believe, Danish? Been meaning to ask Peter for an English translation. His dyno chart appears to show the effectiveness of his modification. I copied the piece to my Dropbox account, hopefully it will work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w475ercj88pptlo/Peter%20Boedker%20cold%20air%20intake.doc?dl=0
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 06:39:03 AM by Grumblebuns »

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 06:17:44 AM »
I think you have to share it, it's asking me for my username and password.

While you work on that, I'll study up on my Danish!  ;D

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 06:40:34 AM »
It took me a while but I believe it can now be viewed with the link.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 06:54:38 AM »
Thanks Joji! That works. I'm assuming his duct work "connects" to the vent in the engine cover (I still haven't found my Danish book!).

I hope he translates for us. It looks like another of Peter's clever mods.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 07:21:43 AM »
Looking at the photos, it seems to me that the entire carb and filter assembly is enclosed with the ducting being directed to the area just in front of the rear wheel. Hopefully Peter can explain the setup.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »
Dimly remember that as being a high pressure area.  Sounds like a good idea.  Might pick up some of the hot air from the rad but anything is better than the existing situation.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 08:56:18 AM »
Here is a Google Translate barf-up of Peter's article. Sorry, all formatting was lost, but the message get through.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
Very interesting, thanks.

Offline pboedker

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
Thank you for the interest and kind words. It is bedtime now in Denmark, so only a short note from me at this time.

I did see the original post/question earlier today, and spent some time searching for an english version of my document. But, since I was at work I had to give up after few minutes, and the evening was spent on other things. I am not sure I even did a translation to english at the time or later. Hmmm... I will need to look it up tomorrow evening on my own server.

I willl return with more information. Your thoughts on the solution are not that far from the actual facts.

+1 for the Google translation.  ;D
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline pboedker

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,June 21, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »
Ha! I knew I had already translated it. Not into a Word document but into a page on my not-so-fancy website which has now long been removed. I found it on my server and then it was fairly easy to import into a new Word/PDF doc (attached) with enlargened pictures.

To answer a couple of questions in the thread so far: :D
  • Yes, the two air intakes down low does pick up some dirt and water but far less than I feared. This is now 15 years and maybe 30000 miles ago, and the power blanket and filters are dirty but not filled with dirt. Of course a daily driver would have needed some cleaning, or a cleaner air but it has not been a problem with my use until now.
  • The duct work (or power blanket) does not connect fully to the vent in the engine cover as the rim of it is flush with the fiberglass lip, so about 2 inches below the inside of the engine cover.
  • Yes, the carb and filter assembly is enclosed with the ducting which stretches from the top of the chassis and up close to the engine cover. This duct is not part of a pressurized ram-air solution but more of a way of shielding the intake from hot air from the engine and at the same time collecting the cold air from below until it goes into the filters. So it is not sealed at the edges.
  • The flexible tubes are connected to the edge of the opening in the floor below the fuel tank.
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark