Author Topic: Seat belts static to inertia  (Read 1344 times)

Offline phil

Seat belts static to inertia
« on: Thursday,April 19, 2018, 12:34:53 PM »
Hello all,
Pondering if my TC static seat belts can be easily swapped for the inertia type? The static ones although original are always difficut to put out the way after taking them off, very nearly shut the door on it a few times!!

Thanks  Phil

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Seat belts static to inertia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 19, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »
Hi Phil,

Yes, I did the same thing a while ago. There are a couple of threads here with some excellent photos from Joji which helped me a lot in figuring out how to put it all together.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=874.msg6460#msg6460

and how the job went, or rather didn't go as I discovered the seat belt mounts in the sills were almost non-existent.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=883.0

Towards the end of the second topic it gets onto the inertia reel belts mounted in the car.  If you're wondering if the change is worth the effort, then yes it certainly is. The belt pulls clear of the door, there's none of that "lean in, move belt, get in, close door, open door to remove belt trapped between door and sill, curse static belts....."

The only thing to look out for is how the inertia reel is intended to be mounted. If you buy NOS then this might be a problem but a lot these days are able to operate in flat/vertical planes and that's what I went for.

Brian

Stuleslie

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 21, 2018, 01:30:47 AM »
I fitted Securon inertia reel belts with some success. I re-used the long top location bolt but had to cut down the head to clear the strap coil. You have to invert the right side cassette to allow for the locking mechanism. This is ok as the side adjustments can be turned 180 so that the arrows point upwards. My only concern is that the belt comes high up over the seat and rubs against your neck. I appologie if I haven’t explained everything exactly but please feel free to contact.
Stuart

P.S. I cannot download other pics in this post, I will try again

Stuleslie

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 21, 2018, 01:33:13 AM »
Pictures of Seat belts
Stuart