Author Topic: Seat Belt Question  (Read 3050 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Seat Belt Question
« on: Thursday,October 23, 2014, 03:04:11 AM »
I'm wondering about fitting inertia reel belts to my Europa this winter and looking at the parts lists I see they are listed for the Federal Europa. I'm wondering about how easy this is to do and where about to mount the parts. Does anyone have a photo of the interior of their car showing these things ? 

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Seat Belt Question
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 23, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »
Brian, these pictures shows how the federal seat belts are attached. Two bolts fit through the inertia reel plate and secure to the two braces through the firewall in the engine bay. I'm assuming that the non federal Europas have the same braces fitted. If you need additional pictures or more details. let me know.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,October 23, 2014, 01:30:06 PM »
 :beerchug:

Excellent, I'm obliged to you.  I think I can see how it goes together now.  But just in case I forget between now and the winter months, I've saved those photos to my projects file - it's always better to have pictures to work with.   

The static belt on my car has a single attachment that looks to be where the top inertia reel mechanism bolt goes so I can't see it being very difficult to make something to accommodate that second bolt. 

It's much simpler than the layout I had in mind because for some reason I thought the reel would be floor or inner sill mounted and the webbing pass through a guide at the top.  I'd never actually considered mounting the reel higher up.    Don't ask me why I came up with that idea, just put it down to one of my "doh" moments   ::)

thanks again,

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 23, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »
Brian, I'm surprised your TC doesn't have retractors already or did the PO take them out? What solid pieces are they bolted on? Do you have the frame against the firewall?

When I was building my car, I got a set of seat belts from Banks because I wasn't sure I could resurrect mine. Luckily I could (read: "I had them re-webbed"). That was good for me because I couldn't see how they would fit in the car (one expects that Richard would have an idea about how to mount them). I think I still have them if you're interested but otherwise, I expect you won't have any trouble finding a set that would fit pretty well from a hot-rod parts place.

Anyway, good luck with your project!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 24, 2014, 01:10:02 AM »
Hi BDA,

I don't think the DPO took them out, I suspect the car originally came with static belts.  He was the first owner and apart from swapping steel wheels to Cosmic alloys he seemed to keep it original. And he kept very detailed records so I'm sure I'd have seen a "changed seat belts" entry in his logbook if he had.

The static belts fix to the steelwork just as yours do but with only one bolt. Being truthful there's no problem with the belts, it's the driver.  I'm so used to seat belts keeping themselves tidy so when I get in the Europa and find I'm sitting on it or it's buried between the seat and sill I keep muttering "it's time I fixed this".   It seems a popular mod on other classics as well with complete kits on the UK market so after seeing Joji's pictures I think I can do it.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Friday,October 24, 2014, 07:06:08 AM »
I have supreme confidence that you can!  :)

At the least, you can tie into the existing upper attachment. The later TC design that Joji provided pictures of may have been in response to enhanced safety regulations. It is some what "rube goldbergish", but it would be an improvement to replicate that idea.

In any event, I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Friday,October 24, 2014, 09:04:32 AM »
Here are a few more details on how the retractors are attached. The first picture is the back view. The second is the backing plate with the bolts installed and the last view is loosely bolted to the back firewall. I'm not an expert but in my opinion the attachment points for the retractor attachment points do not look very robust.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Friday,October 24, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
the attachment points for the retractor attachment points do not look very robust.

:)  well, it is a Lotus......  what was it Chapman used to say ? "if it survives every race without failing as it crosses the line,  it's over-engineered"  ? (or something like that)

The top bolt and where it goes is exactly what I have with the static belts, the latest shots you've posted confirm that very well. As for the bottom bolt, well, that does look a bit, er, "interesting" ?? 

However now that I can see how they are mounted I have a good base to work from.  But my first job is to order up one of these installation kits and see what comes in the pack, apparently they all meet the modern regulations for such things.  (it'll probably be the strongest thing on the car !!! )

Brian