Author Topic: My new favorite video!  (Read 910 times)

Offline Richard48Y

My new favorite video!
« on: Friday,December 18, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
No idea why it took five years for this to be uploaded.
A Europa at Laguna Seca, a track I've been around a couple of times and also flagged at.
Upshift in the corkscrew seems a bit noteworthy.
Do wish he had stayed off the dragonsteeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IkmTO2rsns&t=202s

And my most despised video, where a Europa is butchered by Tim Foose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpp4mEPz4E4
« Last Edit: Friday,December 18, 2020, 10:40:01 PM by Richard48Y »

Offline Sparkrite

Re: My new favorite video!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,December 19, 2020, 06:05:19 AM »
I agree on the worst video, I absolutely loathed what they did to that europa. I have only had my car a few days and I really love what it is, including the simplicity.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,December 19, 2020, 08:15:19 AM »
Pretty S2 (I guess) and a nice drive!

I am not as negative on the Foose “Europa.” I do think after a certain point, it is not a Europa any more and I think Foose passed that point by a fair amount.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,December 19, 2020, 08:19:29 AM »
You guys do realise that the owner is a long term member on this forum and a really pleasant guy ?

Loads of folks here have modified their cars with engine & bodywork changes. Some I like, some I wouldn't do myself but at the end of the day it's their car, their cash and I'm not going to rain on their parade. Would I do those changes with my car ? No, but I do appreciate the quality of the finished article.

Incidentally the Foose show was discussed for quite a while on here...

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=338.15

Brian

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,December 19, 2020, 08:51:41 AM »
Its true - each to their own - but Foose surely did some notable things on that car - I was highly impressed by the shut lines, air intakes to the engine bay and those rear hubs shown at 10.01 - which appear to have been fabricated from scratch.

See it all on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWwchQ_8pKk&ab_channel=AutotopiaLA

Big wheels and headlight change a bit naughty sure - but otherwise - I want one!!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,December 19, 2020, 03:42:20 PM »
I like the car and it gave the Europa exposure to people that might not have ever seen one ;)
John has also answered a couple of questions I had about his car :)

« Last Edit: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 04:40:28 AM by TurboFource »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,December 19, 2020, 11:23:42 PM »
I was highly impressed by the shut lines, air intakes to the engine bay and those rear hubs shown at 10.01 - which appear to have been fabricated from scratch.

I think John said at the time that Foose had designed and built all of the rear suspension components, working out the spring rates. travel, etc. To do that sort of engineering and getting it to work first time around is very impressive in my mind. 

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 07:10:30 AM »
I think the Foose Europa is an interesting exercise and the owner is very happy.  So in my books it is a success.  What I find annoying is the impression the show gives of everything being done at the reveal at the end of the show.  In fact, it took two (2) more YEARS of work to get everything working properly.  I suspect the rear suspension was "dialled" in during that time as well. Still impressive but on a more believable scale.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 07:22:52 AM »
 :I-agree: With the exception of pouring a bunch af resin on the floors and thus raising them by an inch or inch and a half, I thought the mods were beautifully done and well considered (which is not to say I would have wanted them all). The owner, 7up-john, is happy; so I’m happy.

JB is right, the show was only the beginning. It was a reality show so of course it was unreal!

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
I hope to get to take my own car around Laguna-Seca some day.
If it had not come to me already slightly modified I would be doing it as original as would be feasible.
I will NOT be making any additional visible mods.

As to the Foose car, I feel there is so little of the Europa remaining it would have made more sense to start with a Banks shell and build it from that.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 12:05:42 PM »
Talking bad about a guys car is about as disrespectful as talking bad about a guys wife.

I have what many would consider a butchered (I say highly modified) Europa on par with the mechanical mods Foose did, a few people on here do.  If you drove that Foose Europa or mine, without prejudiced, you would change your mind. Some people like lighter old cars that can hang with any modern super/sports car. A Lotus 62 looks pretty un Europa like as did the Canon Imsa car, still cool.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 12:11:59 PM »
Have you seen the video online where they interview John and take the car for a drive?

It looks and sounds awesome!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 03:30:13 PM »
No, I never got over the headlamps and wheels, so have avoided any additional Foose related video.
Donk is not my style.  ::)
Feel free to criticise my car, there is plenty of justification in it's current state!  ;)

Interesting how this thread leans so heavily on my distaste for Foose type modifications, yet has so little comment on the track day. It was a casual comment, which may define my taste in modifications.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 04:06:25 PM »
Laguna Seca looks like fun.
In my mind, and for no good reason, I always imagined it to be a 'big car' track but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yes, when the Foose Europa was first revealed there was much pearl clutching.
But Foose has an eye and once I got used to the whole idea, I thought the side window treatment and the shorter nose were particularly fine.