Author Topic: New member Hello  (Read 1276 times)

Offline garyp

New member Hello
« on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 07:46:43 AM »
Hi all:
My name is Gary Pollard and I am the new proud owner of a '74 TC Special, 4224R.  I haven't actually seen the car as it is on a truck from California as I write this.  It should arrive at my home in Wendell, NC sometime next week.  I had some friends with Lotus experience look at it and was told that it is unmolested and runs well.  It might need a clutch and definitely needs some work on the shift linkage to the 365 gearbox.  I am looking forward to the challenge.
A little about me.  By education I am an electrical engineer and by profession, a software engineer.  I work for a large French company and am currently working applying artificial intelligence to energy management systems.  I have had British cars for most of my life.  When I was 17, I took my summer job earnings and bought a new MG Midget (my dad thought that a Pinto would have been safer).  When I finished my education, I took a job in aerospace in Southern California and bought a very tired '51 Bentley to drive to work.  Other than the perennial problems with rust, the car was completely reliable and I drove is as my only car for over 8 years.  A friend's father sold a '62 Land Rover station wagon to me in a number of crates (I had to sweep the garage floor to get all of its parts).  I rebuilt everything but the gearbox and front axle.  The day I finished it, a friend and I drove it from LA to Raleigh, NC so that I could begin a new job, sort of a 2500 mile test drive.  I drove it every day until to lure of air conditioning was too great and I bought a Honda.  I have always admired the Europa and have been half-halfheartedly looking for one.  I finally found what I wanted in LA, which brings this up to the present.
I am nearing retirement and will have time to do whatever is needed with the Europa.  From reading the posts here, it looks as though I will not lack for help when I can't figure something out.

I have 2 questions for which I could use some help from the collected wisdom:

1.  What size battery goes in a Europa?  The car was sold without one - owner lent one to my friends for the inspection, but I will need one when the car arrives.

2.  When placing the car on a 2-post lift, where can the car safely be supported.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Gary Pollard
Gary Pollard
'74 TC 4224R
Wendell, NC USA

Offline Kendo

Re: New member Hello
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 08:11:26 AM »
Hi Gary, welcome to the list and Europa ownership! I have a ‘73 TCS, fwiw. The car can fit a standard size battery. But some use those gel batteries whose name escapes me at the moment. You’ll get a few more suggestions from others.

Official jacking points are on the fiberglass body, which always makes me nervous. But it seems to work. They are just behind the front wheel arches and just in front of the rear wheel arches. Some use a width of plywood to spread the load. Depending on how thin your two post jack is, you might need 2x8 tracks to raise the car to drive it into position.

Using a floor jack, you need a pretty low profile one, start at the front crossmember, add jackstands to the frame at the lower wishbone. Rear, jack up at the transmission hoop, put jack stands under the Y legs of the rear frame.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 08:20:01 AM »
 :Welcome: garyp!!

We live pretty close to each other! I'll be sending you a PM shortly.

Battery: The size called out in the workshop manual is obsolete. I've been using a 51R. Some use Odyssey PC680 (which is very small). Generally, if Miata sized battery is what you need for a regular lead/acid battery. Remember the hot post is on the right (thus the 'R' in 51R).

2 post lift: The jack points are behand the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. Take advantage of the vertical parts of the body there for added stiffness. Some put a plank of wood between the two to spread the load which wouldn't be a bad idea but it occurs to me that the real issue is that there aren't that many bolts that attach the body on a TC. Don't take that as a reason to worry. You should be fine. Lots of people use 2 post lifts with these cars.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby!

Offline Kendo

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 08:23:04 AM »
Odyssey, that’s what I was trying to remember.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 08:31:10 AM »
I should have a standard new member welcome post with this link (http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1389.0). There are probably going to be a few other links that fit you personally but that goes to a very good starting point for links for information and vendors.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 10:31:57 AM »

***DELETIA***

I have 2 questions for which I could use some help from the collected wisdom:

1.  What size battery goes in a Europa?  The car was sold without one - owner lent one to my friends for the inspection, but I will need one when the car arrives.

2.  When placing the car on a 2-post lift, where can the car safely be supported.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Gary Pollard

1: think you got a good answer above; I just measured the space next to the left gas tank where there is a molded space for it, and got one that fit between the holes in the fiberglass for the hold-down bracket.  Not that critical; placement of the cables is though.  I'd also add a ground cable 'cut off' switch so when you're not enjoying the ride, you remove the battery from the circuit...just in case...it is Lucas wiring, after all...;)

2. Rear of the front arches for the front, front of the rear arches for the rear.  Suggestion to have a piece of wood on top of the lifting pad is a good idea.  Jack stands, if you're working close to the ground and don't want to put it on a lift (there are a couple reasons why; I find it's easier to work on the brakes and such closer to the ground...) are a must. 

Also, workshop, parts breakouts, and other documents of interest are available online at 2 locations: http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm which are mirrored at http://www.lotuseuropa.us/lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm  Bookmark these two sites...they will help get acquainted with your new ride, and help work through whatever issues arise.

Welcome to the collective!  Hope your journey with your new ride is filled with good experiences...oh, yeah, I'll echo that we look forward to pictures of your gal when she arrives!
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 10:33:45 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline garyp

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 11:00:50 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and for the help.  I'm really looking forward to being an active member of this forum.

Cheers,

Gary
Gary Pollard
'74 TC 4224R
Wendell, NC USA

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 11:51:33 AM »
 :Welcome:
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 12:56:10 PM »

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,August 07, 2022, 03:48:03 AM »
 :Welcome: …and good luck

Love to see some photos when you get the chance

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,August 07, 2022, 04:14:10 AM »
I also can't wait for pictures. I am into my 3rd year of Europa ownership. RD Enterprises is your best friend for parts. Looking forward to you sharing your Europa adventures.
Sandy

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,August 07, 2022, 08:02:04 AM »
 Gary,

A warm welcome here from sunny Florida . You mentioned your lure to A/C , does you car have it?
It was an option.

Dakazman

Offline garyp

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,August 07, 2022, 08:14:29 AM »
No A/C on the Europa.  I am hoping for some cooler weather soon.
Gary Pollard
'74 TC 4224R
Wendell, NC USA

Offline dakazman

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,August 07, 2022, 09:50:41 AM »
  Gary ,
      I'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures. Another link you may want to visit is your cars wiring diagrams, it's not Boolean algebra, but I'm sure you'll be saying some choice words when working on your baby. Some members, myself included have blown these diagrams up to 2'x3' posters for larger reference which does help.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=752.0

dakazman

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #14 on: Sunday,August 07, 2022, 12:39:40 PM »
Looking forward to seeing some pics too.