Author Topic: Questions  (Read 525 times)

Offline Onbeachw320

Questions
« on: Saturday,January 08, 2022, 02:04:58 PM »
I am beginning attain some clarity with my project.  I am waiting for some papers to arrive so I can get the title transferred, and actually left the house for the first time since before Christmas, and bought some wish list items.  I remounted the body from the ceiling so I could get a bit more movement and access (about $20 parts from H.D.).  I have finally completed an inventory so I can start tracking down parts I will need to proceed.  But already, questions I cannot answer just yet have begun to fill a list:   I have the impression that the licensing folks will be unhappy with my "0518R" numbers for the VIN.  I remember the other Europa website devising a different VIN that at least looks a bit more legitimate.  IF I get pushback from the bureau, how do I convince them the provided VIN is legitimate?  When I finally get to the painting aspect, I was wondering if you fellow members had ideas just what gets painted and what's left raw?  I am amazed at the crudeness of the bodyshell (it is new, Banks, but unused since the 1980s).  Not in the surface, but at all of the joints underneath that wonderful shell.  I see joints, or splices, in the body that I would like to monkey with a bit and smooth out -- a good place to practice dealing with my fiberglass skills.  The previous owner also fiberglassed over the side marker lights, and I'm going to want to use mine.  I have a few areas to practice with, like these, before I buy new hinge pins and mount the doors.  Lastly, does anybody know a good source for a carburetor (Solex DIDSA) rebuild kit?

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,January 08, 2022, 03:15:45 PM »
VIN should be both a windshield tag (which would have that short version of the VIN) and, the front boot/trunk/hood bulkhead should have a body plate with full VIN number which can include both the month and year as a prefix.   I've had Europa's titled with both.   whatever your previous paper work listed the VIN as should be acceptable (so long as it matches either the windshield plate or bulkhead plate.   You also should have a door jamb VIN plate with additional collaboration.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Kendo

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,January 08, 2022, 09:35:26 PM »
Where are you? Sometimes laws are different in different places.
You could ask the Lotus archivist what your car’s official VIN is. Sorry, I don’t remember what his email is. Anyone?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,January 08, 2022, 10:54:12 PM »
You could ask the Lotus archivist what your car’s official VIN is. Sorry, I don’t remember what his email is. Anyone?

It's Andy Graham and he posted here a while ago whilst trying to rebuild factory records.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1545.msg13988#msg13988

His email is given in that post but I don't know if it's still current. If not, maybe a PM would work.

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,January 09, 2022, 04:36:15 AM »
It's a replacement body so there will be no numbers or tags unless they were saved from the old body.  You could check the chassis on the right rear "Y" section to see if you can find the number stamped there.  Otherwise you are looking at an assigned VIN.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,January 09, 2022, 08:23:51 AM »
If you have an existing title from another state WA will just issue you a WA title with 0518R serial #.
I transferred my title in 2003 from another state to WA with serial # 460571.
I don't think WA has any inspections for cars with existing titles only home built cars.

Offline BobW

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,January 09, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »
I bought a 26/35 Solex DIDSA rebuild kit in 2017 from World Wide Auto Parts in Wisconsin, www.nosimport.com.

Offline Onbeachw320

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,January 09, 2022, 02:15:45 PM »
Okay guys, thanks.  First off, I suppose the licensing lady is a bit suspicious of me (I have bought 4 really cheap Corvettes and fixed them up over the years, and she gives me the stink eye re: value until I produce the receipts and bills of sale).  I do remember that stink eye on the first S-2 years ago...  Thank you for the info on the Solex rebuild kit -- I have sent an inquiry.  I will also try to contact Mr. Graham as well.  I am also going to try to find a local print shop capable of blowing up and laminating the wiring diagram (Lotus Central lists a guy with Action Printing, but I suspect that the info is a bit old and might not be current enough to work).  My impression of my car is that something significant happened to it way back in the 1980s, and it was parked at that point.  Mileage is in the 22 thousands, I think.  The fact that the bodyshell is brand new Banks gives me that impression that things were pretty much terminal for the car - that and the reworked and not rusty backbone frame.  I remember the first S-2 had obvious body work and the wiring harness was chopped up and patched back together -- this one is dusty but appears unmolested.  Initial inspection of the engine shows assembly lube and no combustion related filth at all, so the seller's claims that the engine is rebuilt stand at this point.  Any ideas on what I shouldn't paint yet?

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,January 09, 2022, 02:23:24 PM »
Staples or Office Max or similar place should be able to handle the laminating. Our own dakazman has redrawn one of the S2 wiring diagrams. He posted it somewhere but don't remember where. You could pm him to see if his diagram would match your car.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #9 on: Monday,January 10, 2022, 03:51:52 AM »
Great idea to print the wiring diagram. What I did to compensate for my need of reading glasses was double the size before printing. To keep the result clean I had Staples laminate the print.
Sandyman

Offline Gary t

« Reply #10 on: Monday,January 10, 2022, 06:46:30 AM »
Great idea to print the diagram big enough to read but don't laminate it. If you leave it paper you can make notes color lines and all kinds of memory aids. If it gets too messy just print again cheaper than laminating,  and you can fold a paper sheet but not a laminated one.
Just my 2 cents.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Monday,January 10, 2022, 04:27:47 PM »
Staples or Office Max or similar place should be able to handle the laminating. Our own dakazman has redrawn one of the S2 wiring diagrams. He posted it somewhere but don't remember where. You could pm him to see if his diagram would match your car.

Lotus Joe is working on posting it on the site, along with all the breakout drawings.
  Some are in this excel file.  You need to scroll down to see them all because i allowed you to expand them in the program.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4576.msg49958#msg49958

If you pm me I’ll send you the drawings to your email.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,January 11, 2022, 04:04:20 PM »
  Here is a preview.