Author Topic: S2 Federal wiring harness - Changes  (Read 1055 times)

Offline dakazman

S2 Federal wiring harness - Changes
« on: Sunday,June 13, 2021, 06:01:51 PM »
    My first change to the harness that has been in my S2 federal is removing the unnecessary or non original runs.
  Brake fail , gone . unless you have a brake master cylinder with a level sensor I don’t see much need for it unless you want to see a light test.
  Windscreen washer gone… not original. I will wire up with current wiring colors and add to schematic.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

Re: S2 Federal wiring harness - Changes
« Reply #1 on: Monday,June 14, 2021, 01:55:19 AM »

Getting familiar with the harness I came across this item .  LGU and GU.   no they do not mix !
If you’re under dash or in the engine compartment and find a broken wire get familiar with the run.

In this case -  Light green blue wire goes to Oil pressure sensor.
                   -  Green blue wire is for water temp.
    These wires in the engine compartment are easily mistaken (see pic)  they are,  two different wires which go to different gauges , from two different sensors.

On my harness,  Over 50 years old ,  these wires  have been spliced  multiple times and probably retapped in a harness for the next extension with the wrong color wire. Not only here but at the gauges also. 🥱

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Monday,June 21, 2021, 06:40:23 AM »
  While inspecting and removing erroneous wires from my S2 Fed harness I came across some capacitors wired in that were not on or had no ledge down reference denoted.
  After some digging I found a list of “packages “in chapter M . Radio suppression capacitors are mentioned in the manual of both S2 and TC models.  The schematics have radio listed as optional so with that a list or a breakdown of the packages should be listed.

Another pet peeve of mine is consistency.  Some dual wire terminals are not shown, just two wires into component others show a gang connectors. Connectors and terminals are not the same and should be noted as such on the schematic.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 21, 2021, 05:32:13 PM »
   Finished with the identification, inspection, testing and measurements and removal of additional wires in the harness. Some routing was  corrected that didn’t make any sense. Placed my first order with delcity electronics so I’ll be able to get some hands on time in the car.
 I mentioned that the brake fail circuit would be removed but I decided to repurpose it to a TC Handbrake on light with some mods.
  I’m also going to steal the washer circuit of the tc with the same wire colors.

Dakazman

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,June 22, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »
Well done! I reckon you'll be the S2 wiring harness guru by the time your done.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,June 22, 2021, 10:48:04 AM »
     Found some push/ pull switches in my stash of parts. Polished one up, they may look good 🤔
  Fuse box came in today to handle those smoking British fuses 😂. And to handle the 30 amp heater🥱
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,June 22, 2021, 05:40:29 PM »
  Okay the fuse box didn’t come in ,😂but,  I have a repurposing plan for that panel . Not for car!
    The switches cleaned up nicely and I’ll place them on the facia soon. It’s decision time. Many jobs coming to an end and I can’t be happier.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,June 23, 2021, 06:09:03 PM »
   I have worked with a excel template that was all ready tried and true.
This is my first attempt of authoring one .  I have many questions about moving lines afterwards so I can change the list to alphabetical order. Any quick tip ref books available ?
  Here is a quick look of what I’m trying to come up with and would like to get some input.

Help🥱
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,June 29, 2021, 03:38:31 PM »
   I pulled my back out getting my yard ready for hurricane season, so I'm taking it easy and doing some paperwork.
 check out this excel spreadsheet. give me feedback and some good part numbers for electrical items. working on the hyperlinks and photos  and then the breakouts comparing all series .

dakazman

« Last Edit: Tuesday,June 29, 2021, 03:41:47 PM by dakazman »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,June 30, 2021, 12:31:37 PM »
  Hi guys, Quick question.

TC SPECIAL , what does the instrument rheostat look like and where is it located? A picture would be helpful.

I've been going over the schematics and noticed a rheostat on the print, i thought I would incorporate it in my upgrades. 
the addition of the windscreen washer circuit will also be included with the stated wire color. One setback is the failure of delcity.net to provide striped "txl" wire. Their catalog clearly shows it as a new item and to just put in a dual wire code.  no such luck.a call to them was not much help either as the salesman said they did not carry it, so i quickly told him it was in his catalog. waiting for them to get back to me.  I ordered a few spools in black to get started with the grounds. and some colored led lamps that fit into the respective lens casing, along with some plate and underhood lights.

dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,June 30, 2021, 01:39:20 PM »
If you are going with different dash light bulbs, say LCD, then you will need a special dash dimmer.  I got mine from a truck parts supplier.

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,June 30, 2021, 02:47:30 PM »
Here are some pictures, D'man.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,June 30, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »
    JB, yes I am . picked the LED's up from delcity.net to bad they don't have white ,  i'll look into that.

BDA, is that piece separate from the light switch or intergraded?

on my garage computer so ill post pics later
dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,June 30, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »
The rheostat and the light switch are separate. Since the instrument lights are dim enough when turned up, I didn’t install the rheostat and I put my oil temp gauge there. On the TCS, the rheostat is about even with the radio on the passenger side.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,June 30, 2021, 04:36:44 PM »
  Yikes that is huge , I was thinking a small thumb wheel type mounted somewhere. I probably have some around here somewhere.

Here are some of the pics . They will be installed inside there respective lens housing with a little O-ring to take up the slack.  I still need the amber and green.  The blue will b installed in the door pull recess on both sides .  The two license plate light I ordered one was way to bright so that model will be for the bonnet and engine compartment.  I have to find that thread about a third brake light I liked .

I’m not looking to completely modernize the interior, just some subtle changes.
Dakazman