Author Topic: Extracting UJ from driveshafts in the car  (Read 198 times)

Offline Impromptu

Extracting UJ from driveshafts in the car
« on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 05:03:13 AM »
Hello,

I just removed the engine and gear box from my TC, but the driveshafts are still attached to the hubs. Since I am rather reluctant to disassemble the hubs (no indication of bearing wear or play), I am interested to try to exchange the UJ's with the driveshafts still attached to the hub.

Does anyone know if this is feasible and what tools I should use?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Jan

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Extracting UJ from driveshafts in the car
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 06:29:05 AM »
If I was intent on not disassembling my hubs, I would remove the entire trailing arm, upright, and axel assembly as a unit and get it up on the bench. Still an awkward and unwieldly thing to deal with. However, having got things apart that far, unless the bearings were recently done, I would dig in and replace them. By the time it's all on the bench, most of the hard work is done, and you could find you need bearings a few months after putting it all back together.

The wheel bearing arrangement on these cars is marginal, and waiting for signs of wear or play before replacing them could result in damage to a very difficult to find bearing housing/upright or axel. Given the very narrow reserve factor designed into these cars, it's best to replace such items at time/mileage intervals, or as opportunity presents itself, as opposed to when they begin to exhibit wear. Just something to think about.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Kendo

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 07:34:35 AM »
I don’t remember how I did it because it was 30 years ago, but I replaced the u joints without removing the uprights. First time I had ever done ujs too, for what that’s worth.

Bainford has a point, though. At the time I didn’t know about the bearing issue.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 09:20:52 AM »
You can change the u-joints in place, assuming they are not rusted together.

Offline Triton

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 10:05:34 AM »
If you are going to replace inner and outer  joints  i would start by removing the outer one first, so you can change the inner one on the bench. Never done one on the car but you might try a large G clamp and sockets to push the cups.  GOOD  LUCK....Stuart.

Offline Impromptu

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 11:15:05 AM »
Thank you all for your swift feedback. I am each time amazed how quickly forum members chime in to offer help.

Indeed, perhaps I should find the courage to replace the rear bearings now everything is out. I’ll read up in the workshop manual and see if I am sufficiently skilled and equipped.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress.
Jan

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 05:37:56 PM »
If I was going on a trip with rear axles of unknown maintenance, I would also carry a supply of adult diapers!  Seriously, disassemble and check them carefully.  They weren’t strong when new, and who knows what the previous owners got up to.