Author Topic: Newbie here from New York U.S.A.  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Tom999w

Re: Newbie here from New York U.S.A.
« Reply #45 on: Sunday,January 23, 2022, 09:44:21 AM »
I have learned to be hesitant when talking about S1s and S2s ...  The license plate lights were the same for all cars regardless of their destination.

I guess I haven't learned to be hesitant enough!!   :P

Keep talking, any info is good info  :BBQ:

Offline Tom999w

« Reply #46 on: Sunday,January 23, 2022, 09:47:47 AM »
Funny, it doesn't appear that the two rear license plate lights even shine on the U.S. plate at night... In New York it's the law that you have two lights shining on your rear plate. In a different car I got pulled over and ticketed in New York for having one of those little bulbs not working...

Since we're talking about this, I've also noticed that there's no mount for a front license plate. That's a sure way to get ticketed in New York. And while the cops have you stopped on the side of the road, they also check lots of other things they may be able to ticket you for (seatbelt operation, all lights working, horn, exhaust noise, window tint, open beer, etc...).. I'm not too fond of giving the police a reason to pull me over, so will have to fabricate a mount for a plate somewhere on the front of the car.
« Last Edit: Sunday,January 23, 2022, 09:55:05 AM by Tom999w »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #47 on: Sunday,January 23, 2022, 09:55:39 AM »
   Interesting comments , one other place to look is the parts manual to see how many required.

This conversation is just as good as the S1 or S2 badge  1 or 2  ?

Dakazman

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #48 on: Sunday,January 23, 2022, 10:38:23 AM »
My plate was originally bolted to the right side of the front grill. This is my modification. I have since added a lower support.

Offline BDA

« Reply #49 on: Sunday,January 23, 2022, 10:46:08 AM »
I have learned to be hesitant when talking about S1s and S2s ...  The license plate lights were the same for all cars regardless of their destination.

I guess I haven't learned to be hesitant enough!!   :P

Keep talking, any info is good info  :BBQ:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Tom999w but if you look at the number of posts I've made, I don't seem to be able to shutup!  :)

Offline Tom999w

« Reply #50 on: Sunday,January 23, 2022, 03:27:40 PM »
   Interesting comments , one other place to look is the parts manual to see how many required.

This conversation is just as good as the S1 or S2 badge  1 or 2  ?

Dakazman

It's an S2, Type 65.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #51 on: Sunday,January 23, 2022, 11:46:35 PM »
I'll be making it just totally stock. I know a lot of people will grumble about that, but if I wanted a car with modernized suspension, a Zetec engine, a big stereo , and comfortable seats then I'd go buy a Ford Focus

I feel fortunate to have gotten an S2 with nearly all of the in-period upgrades/modification I would have wanted, already done by a previous owner.
"Gordini" engine, Webers, Headers, and only a minor body mod to create an air dam up front.
Also has some minor hill-climb history but nothing to make it too famous-valuable to drive when finished.
I have been gathering some original bits the previous owners deleted, such as front marker lamps and both bumpers.
So mine will still be slightly modified but very much period correct.
I would not call Europa's common, but they are production cars.

Offline Tom999w

« Reply #52 on: Monday,January 24, 2022, 09:01:30 AM »
Nice, I hear the Gordini engines/mods are pretty rare; kind of like the "Else" mod parts..

Offline brucelotus26r

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday,January 25, 2022, 04:41:19 PM »
Log 41 West Virginia  September  2022?
Keep up the good work 👏

Offline LotusBob74

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday,March 23, 2022, 11:42:26 AM »
I am also in Upstate NY.  The Hudson valley region.  Where are you? 

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday,March 23, 2022, 01:34:05 PM »
Funny, it doesn't appear that the two rear license plate lights even shine on the U.S. plate at night... In New York it's the law that you have two lights shining on your rear plate. In a different car I got pulled over and ticketed in New York for having one of those little bulbs not working...

Since we're talking about this, I've also noticed that there's no mount for a front license plate. That's a sure way to get ticketed in New York. And while the cops have you stopped on the side of the road, they also check lots of other things they may be able to ticket you for (seatbelt operation, all lights working, horn, exhaust noise, window tint, open beer, etc...).. I'm not too fond of giving the police a reason to pull me over, so will have to fabricate a mount for a plate somewhere on the front of the car.

my S2 had 4 holes drilled under the front bumper to the driver side of the grille opening.  Top of the plate hard up against the bottom of the front bumper, bottom bolts in the body caught the bottom plate holes.  In PA, where the car was registered, we didn't need a front plate, so just put a brit flag on instead.  Looked ok.  But, in NY, if you need a plate that's where I'd put it.  Check; the holes may already be there.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline Tom999w

« Reply #56 on: Saturday,March 26, 2022, 07:53:25 PM »
" I am also in Upstate NY.  The Hudson valley region.  Where are you? "

I'm in Sullivan County, Livingston Manor New York. Europe's are far and few between (non-existent) up here...

Offline Tom999w

« Reply #57 on: Saturday,March 26, 2022, 07:55:10 PM »

my S2 had 4 holes drilled under the front bumper to the driver side of the grille opening.  Top of the plate hard up against the bottom of the front bumper, bottom bolts in the body caught the bottom plate holes.  In PA, where the car was registered, we didn't need a front plate, so just put a brit flag on instead.  Looked ok.  But, in NY, if you need a plate that's where I'd put it.  Check; the holes may already be there.

Hmm, that makes sense. I'll check tomorrow. Thanks for the info..

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday,March 29, 2022, 08:31:43 AM »
Hmm, that makes sense. I'll check tomorrow. Thanks for the info..

Like this.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.