Author Topic: First time door adjustment  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Sparkrite

Re: First time door adjustment
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,April 29, 2021, 07:30:15 PM »
Yes,thats the way I think it should be but if you withraw and re insert the whole pin just 1 time through the bottom bobbin, how tight is it likely to end up at that bobbin.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #16 on: Thursday,April 29, 2021, 08:55:58 PM »
Yup, it's a not a great design.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #17 on: Friday,April 30, 2021, 08:42:28 AM »
Yes,thats the way I think it should be but if you withraw and re insert the whole pin just 1 time through the bottom bobbin, how tight is it likely to end up at that bobbin.

Agreed, so perhaps think of it this way.

The pin passes freely through four items:
The upper and lower body bobbins.
The upper and lower adjustment bushes in the door.

Ignoring the design intent, here's what happens.
The pin will rotate in whichever item puts up the least amount of resistance to movement (friction).
In our ~50 year old cars, that's invariably the body bobbins because they offer the least amount of resistance to movement (friction).

EuropaTC in Reply#7 links to a thread where he outlines how he went about restraining the pin so that the pin remains stationary relative to the body and rotates in the adjustment bushes when the door opens.

Offline Mark H

• 74 JPS #191
« Reply #18 on: Saturday,November 19, 2022, 01:44:42 PM »
Have read this thread and the one Joe moved to the knowledge base, as well as the manual.  Still having a dense moment.  I only needed to undo the top nuts to get the proper adjustment on a TCS door.  On trying to tighten things up there isn't an obvious way that when I tighten the main nut back up the bush  it doesn't rotate.  Therefore I can't tighten the nut.  I've tried fitting something above the door at that pin location but it appears to be round with nothing to attach to.  I took the cover off in the wheel arch and checked up top, all seems solid.  Short of holding the bottom part of the threaded area where the nut and locknut go with a set of vise grips I'm stumped.  Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline dakazman

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,November 19, 2022, 03:03:51 PM »
So the pin is stationery (held by the two body bobbins) and the door moves on the pin?   

Thanks,

Sherman

Correct.
 Dakazman

Offline cazman

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,November 19, 2022, 03:50:56 PM »
I just went through this and commented on another thread. I have been through both Banks and the OEM style pin (provided by J.D.Ent). I feel that the OEM style is the better design. I do not know if Lotus intended for the pin to always be stationary or not, but I see it as "proper" that it should not ever move. So, I used a new bobbin bushing with a flat and made a matching flat in the pin. The pin is now stationary and all is well.
1973 Europa TCS