Author Topic: Grosjean & Daenery  (Read 560 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Grosjean & Daenery
« on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 01:59:24 PM »
The worst case scenario unfolded at yesterday's Grand Prix...

A back marker tango ended Romains short race in spectacular fashion. At first, I thought "that's it...a killer crash with explosive fire...better get out quick"

The broadcast went elsewhere, uh oh...that's bad. I timed the replay and figured it took 18 seconds after impact for Romain to wiggle out of the tangled mess and another 5 seconds to stand and hop the fence.

I'm sure we are all relieved, that everything worked out as best as possible...

Kudos to Romain, the marshals, doctors, safety crew...
Those metal barriers have got to go! The safer wall system and concrete is the ticket. Too many times drivers have lost their lives by penetrating it's individual rails.

This ain't Game of Thrones...fire walkers scare me!
« Last Edit: Monday,November 30, 2020, 02:25:41 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
Re: Grosjean & Daenery
« Reply #1 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »
That was a very scary moment. Only a few years ago and that accident would have been fatal.

It will be interesting to see what safety upgrades come about in the future.

Offline Footer

« Reply #2 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 04:37:43 PM »
First of all, I'm thankful Roman is out and, for the most part, okay.  Terrific response from everyone involved.
Having never driven competitively, help me understand something.  It took about 18 seconds for him to get out of the car which was engulfed in flames.  Unless he held his breath from the time of explosion, he would have inhaled flames, fumes and smoke severely limiting his lung function. That doesn't seem to have happened.  How did his lungs, and he, survive those 18 seconds?  Was it training for a fire?  I appreciate any thing you might have to enlighten me.
Thanks.

Online BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 06:43:06 PM »
I've been a supporter of Grosjean since he drove for Lotus so I'm very thankful he suffered few injuries. It's a real testament to the safety regulations F1 has developed. I've heard some commentary that some wished the barrier Romain hit was concrete. I wish the Armco had a few rows of tires instead.

I think Romain sustained few injuries because the fire was mostly behind him. I think the visor is much stronger and probably seals pretty well so that probably helped limit his lung's exposure to fumes. Safety regulations are much more effective than in the '70s and '80s and back then helmets were connected to an air or oxygen bottle. I'm sure the current helmets are much safer now.

To put Grosjean's accident in perspective, he was out of his car in 18 seconds while Niki Lauda sat in fire for over a minute. Given the advances in safety, it makes sense that he came out relatively unscathed.

Edit: found a reference to how long Lauda was in his burning car. My apologies for the screwy characters in this post. My iPad put them in and won't let me change them.

Edit: I repaired my post.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 11:23:53 AM by BDA »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 08:31:38 PM »
Agree the old 'Armco' barrier has to go - Grosjean went straight through it
I'm surprised it wasn't outlawed long ago.

Here's a couple of pics - a testament to the design of the 'survival cell' & 'halo'.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 30, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »
Footer..."How did his lungs, and he, survive those 18 seconds?  Was it training for a fire?  I appreciate any thing you might have to enlighten me."

Medical air was first introduced to F1 back in 1979...At first thought to be a great safety move forward, as fatalities suffocated first rather than be burned. The problem was the system first used was pure O2...remember the NASA Gemini fire? The FIA banned medical air soon after.

A better solution was needed to use an inert air and gas mixture that could be inhaled  to protect the lungs and remain non flammable. This was reintroduced in the mid 90's .
I will dig into the FIA rules to get the specifics....ld
« Last Edit: Monday,November 30, 2020, 09:01:08 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline Footer

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 07:11:16 AM »
So, he had an alternative supply of "air" other than from the surrounding atmosphere? I'm assuming there is a tube from the alternate supply into his helmet that can be activated when needed or done so automatically under some set of circumstances.  I watch the F1 races all the time and don't remember seeing this when donning the helmet so I must be missing something.

I was totally unaware of that and certainly explains a lot.  Thanks guys.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »
Agree the old 'Armco' barrier has to go - Grosjean went straight through it
I'm surprised it wasn't outlawed long ago.

Here's a couple of pics - a testament to the design of the 'survival cell' & 'halo'.
Wow! Impressive photos. Yes, I am quite surprised steel armco still exists on an F1 circuit. I have to think the halo certainly earned its keep in this one.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »
Tyre barriers in front of concrete would be my preference.

Used tyres must be very cheap, and tying them together cannot cost much.

For that tub to go through between two Armco rails is scary. Without the halo, he would have been without his head.

For the 18 seconds he must have thought :-

"where am I........ WTF ........ I hope someone puts this fire out soon..... lets get out of here".