Author Topic: Twin Cam rebuild kit?  (Read 428 times)

Offline TurboFource

Twin Cam rebuild kit?
« on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
Are there rebuild kits for a Twin Cam? I can't find much searching with Google?

Why are Twin Cams so expensive to rebuild ( Or so I read ) ? Is it labor costs?

It's basically a Ford 4 banger with a different head etc.
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: Twin Cam rebuild kit?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 05:50:53 PM »
Plenty of suppliers out there...and specialty builders. Standard overhaul kits for the twin cam never really materialized after the engine was fazed out of production. Since many of the motors found their way into competition, it was up to the racers and performance shops to continue supporting the evolution of the Ford four banger.

https://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-fitment-type/parts-by-engine-ford.html

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 06:06:02 PM »
By "rebuild kit", are you talking about an all inclusive package containing all gaskets, seals, bearings, and pistons for an engine rebuild? For a supplier to stock such an item does not make much sense. You won't know what you'll need until after  the engine has been disassembled and all parts measured. It's at that point that you will decide what parts you need to have machined and what parts you will need to order for bored cylinders and ground journals. I'm in the middle of a twin cam engine rebuild and a lot of time is spent in measuring and inspection. Shop time labor is not cheap.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 06:25:24 PM »
Burton Power is a great supplier, especially for go-fast part but it might be easier dealing with someone on this side of the pond. Dave Bean Engineering should have everything you need and they carry go-fast parts too if you want them. r.d. enterprises is also a good supplier though, I suspect they concentrate more on stock parts. I've bought stuff from all of them and they all give great service.

When you rebuild an engine, you get a gasket set, but usually bearings and rings are purchased after a trip to your machinist and you find out if your crank needs to be ground or you want/need larger pistons.

Sometimes (always?) a gasket set will not include a head gasket since that is another variable. Head gaskets come in different thicknesses and materials.

A nice thing about the Kent block is that it can be align bored (making the mains closer to being in line and thus reducing some of the friction) without moving the centerline. When this is done, you order your main bearings by ID and OD.

edit: added a bit about head gaskets
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 06:58:43 PM by BDA »