Author Topic: Lotus Europa 16V Gordini  (Read 31877 times)

Offline RoddyMac

Re: Lotus Europa 16V Gordini
« Reply #90 on: Monday,December 21, 2020, 07:03:34 AM »
If I recall, Roddy's ducts are different again and have the slightly proud ridge continuing around the rear edge of the duct, but with both sides at right angles to the base. My initial speculation was that these differences in ducts are perhaps to aid water shedding on a road car, but that doesn't really make sense, either.

Gavin,
I made mine along the lines of GT/09: https://www.fantasyjunction.com/sold/1966-lotus-47/photos and another 47, but I can't recall the serial number.  A decent quality photo of the "other car" was brought into Autocad, scaled up and the ducts were traced. Though I did make an error with having the lower edge flat or 90 degrees to the side of the car, the ducts collect water.

As for whether they work or not, can't say.  They both just open into the engine bay.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #91 on: Monday,December 21, 2020, 09:47:55 PM »
Thanks, Roddy . . that explains it.

I hadn't seen those excellent pictures of GT/09 previously.
Interestingly, the GT/09 ducts don't seem to go anywhere in particular, either.

This pic from Fantasy junction shows (presumably) OEM components.
The ducts appear to have much less curve than some.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday,December 23, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »
Pics of GT/09 are interesting to see...

The shell that they have used in the fantasy junction pics is a Banks 47R shell which they have modified - in the bare unpainted pics you can see the extended rear valance option (I forget what exact model but it originated from the lower front bumper off an Alfa Romeo*) along with the later rear lights mouldings (S2/TC) and the ducts in the sides have no protruding lips around them. You can also see the flat vertical moulding along the bottom of the sill where the inner and outer body mouldings join. - S2/TC style.
I’m surprised they’ve rebuilt with that body tbh as Banks did have complete moulds taken from an original 47.

Their 47R body is slightly wider than the original 47, explains why the rear wheels look more inboard of the arches than on most 47’s you see.

The upturned front spoiler with ducts is also of Banks origin.

They did used to offer the fuel filler/duct panel as an option to buy to graft in.

Just for info in case anyone is interested...?!

*edited - was an Alfa Romeo 33 Cloverleaf/Amica from around 1989
« Last Edit: Wednesday,December 23, 2020, 11:32:27 PM by JR73 »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #93 on: Wednesday,December 23, 2020, 08:57:26 PM »
Always interested!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #94 on: Wednesday,December 23, 2020, 10:33:24 PM »
Pics of GT/09 are interesting to see...

The shell that they have used in the fantasy junction pics is a Banks 47R shell which they have modified - in the bare unpainted pics you can see the extended rear valance option (I forget what exact model but it originated from the lower front bumper off an Alfa Romeo) along with the later rear lights mouldings (S2/TC) and the ducts in the sides have no protruding lips around them. You can also see the flat vertical moulding along the bottom of the sill where the inner and outer body mouldings join. - S2/TC style.
I’m surprised they’ve rebuilt with that body tbh as Banks did have complete moulds taken from an original 47.

Their 47R body is slightly wider than the original 47, explains why the rear wheels look more inboard of the arches than on most 47’s you see.

The upturned front spoiler with ducts is also of Banks origin.

They did used to offer the fuel filler/duct panel as an option to buy to graft in.

Just for info in case anyone is interested...?!

Always interested!

x2!

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #95 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 04:26:40 AM »
I must say, the installation of the 47 style NACA ducts is not as easy as I thought. But it's coming together. I must say that the advantage of this style against the standard NACA duct is that the 47 style duct is a bit elevated against the body panel, which means that it "catches" some air while driving.

On the picture below you can see it a bit. Just below the fuel filler, the duct starts to raise itself.

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #96 on: Sunday,January 03, 2021, 12:03:12 PM »
Does anybody know, if the Type 47/S1 fuel tank does fit into a Type 54 S2 body? I'm just looking for a new low fuel tank, which allows air flow through the new 47-style NACA ducts to the carbs. My old selfmade fuel tank contained 40 litres and was higher than the intake funnels. I used two of these tanks for endurace races up to 4 hours. Now I will only race 30 minutes, which means a single 20 - 30 litre fuel tank will suffice. Of course I would prefer a tank, which is not as tall as the intake funnels. The Type 47/S1 tank from Banks seem to be very low. For the S2 tank I'm not sure, if it's low enough.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #97 on: Sunday,January 03, 2021, 12:57:50 PM »
Speak to Richard @ Banks and explain what you want - he used to make the tanks himself so I’m sure he can sort you with something suitable.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #98 on: Sunday,January 03, 2021, 05:35:46 PM »
You can direct air from the NACA ducts at the air intake but do not plump a NACA duct directly to the carb air intake.  They do not pass enough air at speed.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #99 on: Friday,January 08, 2021, 08:39:12 AM »
Period photo showing probably the best solution for getting air into the engine compartment:

If you are flaring the wheel arches, you could make it all flow together.

Offline Rainer

« Reply #100 on: Monday,January 11, 2021, 11:21:58 AM »
My original S1 Tank is out of the car, if you want to take measurements or testfit it to your Europa you can pick it up anytime.

Rainer

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #101 on: Monday,January 11, 2021, 01:11:45 PM »
S1 tanks attach to the under tray, not the side like the S2 and up.

Offline Rainer

« Reply #102 on: Tuesday,January 12, 2021, 12:36:48 PM »
I had the possibility to test it today.
A custom bracket won't be a problem but there is no room, the inner bodywork is closer to frame and firewall.

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #103 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 06:19:41 AM »
Hi guys,

I have had a little bit of a disappointment yesterday, as I read that only two 16 valve Gordini head have survived from the period and the engine has never been fully developed (https://www.classicdriver.com/de/car/renault/alpine/1974/729645). I guess, it will remain an unreachable dream. Maybe some day there will be replica heads, like with all the Cosworth engines (BDA, BDG, FVA...).
I learned about this, while searching for pictures of 1975 spec Formula Renault cars (as attached). They seem to have a very interesting exhaust manifold. And as far as I know, they were already very powerful with 1596 cc and around 160 HP. Thus, an exhause like this could be great for my Europa. But I have no idea, where to source it :confused:

But nontheless, I'm looking forward to to the start of  the racing season 2021. The car is getting a bit of fresh paint in the moment, after I installed the new NACA ducts. The fuel tank is ordered and should arrive in March. Then the car is back together and I can make the final adjustments for the season.
If the pandemic situation will allow it, the first race is on May 8th & 9th at Circuit Zolder. I hope to be able to complete a test session in April to set the car up in dry conditions and get to grips after a long break. I definetely need track time.

I'll show you the finished NACA ducts ASAP.

Offline BDA

« Reply #104 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 06:45:25 AM »
Sorry that head is made of unobtanium. Knowing a bit about BDAs, I can tell you that new heads are pretty expensive and I would imagine that trick Renault heads would probably be even more expensive. On the other hand, I am familiar with the rule “whatever <insert name of race car here> wants, she gets.”

Keep us informed about your progress!