Author Topic: What is the fastest speed you feel comfortable driving?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline literarymadness

What is the fastest speed you feel comfortable driving?
« on: Tuesday,October 23, 2018, 10:15:20 PM »
I am just curious about my fellow Europa owner's driving habits.  I live in South Florida where most of the expressway speeds are either 65 mph or 70 mph, but most of the drivers are driving north of 75 mph I-95, I-595, and 826 and north of 80 mph on I-75.  I try to drive at least 75 mph to keep up with traffic so that some moron in a large truck or SUV won't tailgate me or cut me off.  Past 80 mph I don't feel comfortable unless it is late at night and there is less traffic.  So the question is how fast do you regularly drive your Europas?  I really have enjoyed my last year and a half as a member of the forum.  I always look forward to reading everyone's posts. 
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 23, 2018, 11:11:24 PM by literarymadness »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: What is the fastest speed you feel comfortable driving?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2018, 12:52:09 AM »
If you're expecting a "everywhere at 100, 90 is for wimps" post, then sadly this isn't it  :)

These days I'm more "bumbling" than "bombing" along, mainly because of where we live now - mostly 50-60mph limit roads and lots of speed cameras, so it's 60.  I've probably seen 70 in an overtaking moment between cameras, but that's not a regular thing.

When we lived in Yorkshire I'd  often go home along the M62 and in those days 80-85mph was normal traffic speed (limit 70) so I did that in order not to stand out.  Apart from the noise I don't recall feeling unsafe, I'd drive it just the same as our modern car. (only of course I wouldn't be able to hear the stereo  ;)  )

The concern I have isn't the speed but the braking capabilities of modern cars and my ability. Without getting into the debate about how good or otherwise the OEM brakes are, I think it's hard to argue that I'm going to stop quicker than a modern car with ABS and an unpredictable (panicking ?) driver, especially in wet conditions.  That's what dictates my speed in moderate/heavy traffic these days rather than what the car will do. Even though I've modified the brakes and feel more confident in the car's stopping ability I still wouldn't join the 80mph, 15yds apart, overtaking lane queue on our motorways now because if the guy 3 cars ahead slams on, I won't stop in time.

So I guess the overall answer is to speed is really "whatever distance I can stop in" rather than what's on the dial.

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2018, 06:42:59 AM »
I'm usually running in the 120-125 kph range as that is as fast as you can go and not attract unwanted attention from the constabulary.  I have had it up to 160+ but not often.  Felt just fine.

I leave a generous space between myself and the vehicle in front, partly due to modern brakes having people following too close and partly to have some maneuvering room.  I like to be either ahead or behind any adjacent vehicles.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2018, 07:58:38 AM »
Brian

I was thinking more like 120 everywhere and 100 for wimps.  Especially for you guys across the pond.
 :beerchug:

Wesley

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »
Brian
I was thinking more like 120 everywhere and 100 for wimps.  Especially for you guys across the pond.
 :beerchug:
Wesley

What can I say, I'm a wimp....     :)

I find it all rather crazy, cars go faster these days than they've ever done, they have better suspension, roadholding and braking and yet our (UK) speed limits just keep dropping. A cynic would say it's just cash generation for the councils......

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2018, 08:57:51 AM »
Almost the first thing I did after buying my car when it was "new" was go on a road trip with a college buddy. It lasted almost 10,000 miles and I spent a lot of it going 90 mph with no issues at all (ahhh youth! I also had a CB radio!).

More recently, with the car very substantially modified, I went on a tour to benefit Parkinson's put on by the local Porsche club. They did a lot of VERY spirited driving. I was the slow car topping out on a highway segment at 90 mph. It required a lot of concentration - much more than I remember way back when I was in college - so I didn't try to go any faster. I'm in the process of trying to iron out why the car feels so nervous at speed.

Normally, on the highway, I try to keep it at about 10 mph over the limit which is usually acceptable to the police so 80 mph is about as fast as I normally go and that's not an uncomfortable speed.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2018, 09:27:28 AM »
In 1978/9 I got 75032529P up to 125mph but the roads were empty then.

I find 80 mph is pushing it a bit, the roads in Norfolk are mainly 50 or 60 limits, but as well as the stopping distance of the car in front, what worries me is "have they seen me"? 

A Europa gives a very tiny profile, so over blind brows, have they seen me, and can I see over the brow.

Being only 700kgs, it does stop reasonably well on modern rubber, but safety is my priority, and with the spare wheel being my crumple zone, and no air bag, I feel a bit vulnerable out there.     

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »
I was a tack rat for almost 10 years. Drove my Lotus Exige and Porsche 997 C4S to the limit on the track. On the road I’m a mouse. Old Lotus sports cars like Elan’s and Europa’s offer absolutely no crash protection, are expensive to fix and you will probably get hurt......badly if you crash.

I’m very happy at 55 to max 65MPH on the road. And most of my driving is on back country roads where I drive even slower. No matter that everyone is passing me, I know in the twisty backroads you don’t stand a chance.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »
ahh, I do miss my JPS Europa w/ 5 speed for that very reason.  Very well equipped to travel high speed for prolonged periods.   I admit to 90-100 MPH flying up the New Jersey interstates, but understand as a retired cop, I did not fear getting a ticket.  :)     yeah, shame on me, but....
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook