Author Topic: Facet Fuel Pump installation  (Read 1415 times)

Offline CCM911

Facet Fuel Pump installation
« on: Monday,December 05, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »
Has anyone mounted a facet fuel pump in their Twin Cam?  I have the one that is blcak plastic.  I think it is solid state.  Could I mount to the fibergalss?  Or is that bad?

And what is the best power source?

Thanks so much.  Progress photos are coming, but my camera just died.

Offline BDA

Re: Facet Fuel Pump installation
« Reply #1 on: Monday,December 05, 2016, 08:59:23 AM »
I have one of the Facet solid state metal "box" type units mounted on the inside of the frame near the front of the engine. I believe they recommended that it be mounted on a slant (but it's been A LONG time - best to check for their recommendation). As long as it is solidly mounted near or below the level of the bottom of the fuel tanks, I don't think it makes any difference where you mount it.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #2 on: Monday,December 05, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »
I mounted the electric fuel pump on the passenger side of the engine compartment just in front of the right rear axle and in back of the carbs.  I use a canister type fuel pump, but you could also mount the solid state pump here.  I wired it off the ignition switch.

Tom

Offline CCM911

« Reply #3 on: Monday,December 05, 2016, 10:19:55 AM »
I like the idea of wiring off the ignition switch!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Monday,December 05, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »
It is important that there is a safety circuit of some sort in the fuel pump power feed.  Things could get very unpleasant if you are in an accident and it keeps pumping fuel.  The simplest solution is to wire a inertia switch in the circuit: any large impact will cut the fuel pump power.  I used this style:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//1399/large/18970192_bwd_s9300_pri_larg.jpg

Myself, I also fit a relay.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Monday,December 05, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »
Excellent point, John! Another options is a fuel pump shut-off relay for that purpose. It provides current to the fuel pump only when the engine is turning.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #6 on: Monday,December 05, 2016, 08:51:13 PM »
The red button on my steering wheel kills the electric fuel pump and ignition system - assuming I am still alert enough to press it.

Tom

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,December 06, 2016, 06:50:45 AM »
An easily accessible battery disconnect is another good idea but I think you have pointed out the flaw.  The inertia safety switch is very simple to install and, as long as you don't take to sailing over humpback bridges, works well.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,December 06, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
I have one of the Facet solid state metal "box" type units mounted on the inside of the frame near the front of the engine. I believe they recommended that it be mounted on a slant (but it's been A LONG time - best to check for their recommendation). As long as it is solidly mounted near or below the level of the bottom of the fuel tanks, I don't think it makes any difference where you mount it.

BDA is right about needing to mount the electric fuel pump as low possible. Don't do what I did and mount the pump on the engine bay fiberglass above the frame rail. The picture is from my S2 but should be applicable to the TC. After letting car sit for a week or so and the tank level at well below half tank, the pump tick forever after turning on the power and never fill the carb. I'm assuming that the suction lost prime and the pump had insufficient suction head to suck the fuel from the tank. Adding a couple of gallons usually fixed the pump issue. Moving the pump to a lower level apparently solved that problem for good.

I seem to recall a discussion on the Yahoo list a few years ago that powering the electric fuel pump directly off ignition power may cause electrical spikes affecting the tach signal. Might be worth while investing in a relay for that purpose.

When the fuel tank level was less than half full