Author Topic: Another 46 to 47 project!  (Read 16592 times)

Offline DreamsOfA47

Re: Another 46 to 47 project!
« Reply #45 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 11:31:41 AM »
Here's my progress so far:
Saturday was spent removing the original harness from the car. I decided to take the harness out through the passenger compartment while attached to the auxiliary gauges in the center dash panel. The front section was very straightforward to remove and came out without any issue. The rear put up a fight though! The harness had been splayed open previous to my involvement which caused the wires to snag on any and everything they could. The harness also wouldn't move when pulled forward. It appeared to be pinched between the body and frame rail. I resorted to cutting it, wire by wire, in the backbone and pulling what I could out with the dash. I then had to remove wires one by one unto the diameter of the harness was small enough to yank it free of its pinch! trying to figure out why it wasn't moving had me  :headbanger:
Once it was free the extent of the damage to some of the wires could be clearly seen. A new harness seems to have been the best option in the end!

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #46 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 11:37:06 AM »
I took the dash inside and wired the thing according to the diagram. It seemed much easier than trying to wire it all up in the car. I spent all yesterday attempting to route the harness through the car. Pushing the harness rearward was an absolute nightmare! It really was an exercise in pushing rope! Have no skin on any knuckle at this point. The frame took its toll out of my hands and forearms. The harness is currently in the car but it snot hooked up to anything other then that I hooked up on the dash.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #47 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 12:50:01 PM »
Alright, lads I come to y'all with what may be another stupid question. As I've said before my lotus is clearly modified in numerous ways and now I need those those of you who are more experienced in S1s and S2s to tell me which electrical connectors are the proper ones. My taillights have spade connectors but the new S2 harness has bullet connectors, which is correct? I'm thinking it would be easier to modify the new harness to have spades. Any input from y'all?

The attached pic is the bullets on the new harness
« Last Edit: Monday,October 10, 2022, 12:51:42 PM by DreamsOfA47 »

Offline Clifton

« Reply #48 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 02:10:28 PM »
My 54 S2 has bullet.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #49 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 02:51:38 PM »
I was figuring that was going to be the case. I think at this point it would be easier to change the connectors on the harness to spade so I'll get that done when I resume work this weekend.

The Autosparks harness is beginning to confuse me. The main harness heading rearward seemed to be pretty straightforward, but the other aspects of it are beginning to trip me up. The harness set came as 5 distinct pieces. based on the colors I think that one of those pieces is the front light and fan harness, but I can't quite tell. The piece I believe to be the front harness has a strange plastic female 5-spade connector I can't seem to find on the diagram, but at this point it may be an issue of me staring at the wiring diagrams so much that I'm starting to lose track of the little details. Maybe a break from the project will be good to rest my attention.

Has anyone else worked with the Autosparks S2 harness? What was your experience?? Can you tell me what those smaller harnesses were used for?

It seems to me the slight differences between S1 and S2 are making this a slightly harder task tan anticipated, but it totally manageable I believe!

Offline Clifton

« Reply #50 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »
I would be hesitant to cut up a new harness to put spades on it. The spade connector plug could be ignition, maybe?

Online BDA

« Reply #51 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 04:58:15 PM »
I've never really thought about it much but now that I am, I think the idea was is to use bullet connectors wherever possible (wire to wire connections) and spade connectors where you can't. I hate them though they are not without merit. I've replaced some of my bullet connectors but only the ones that gave me trouble. There are tools that would probably make them nicer work with. r.d. enterprises, to name one place, sells them.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #52 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »
You haven’t posted a photo or specified wire colours but my guess would be that the strange 5 pin connector is for the wiper motor.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #53 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 06:59:09 PM »
Clifton, no in this case i'm specifically referring to my tail light assemblies. I'm unsure if the S1a spec cars had spade or bullet connectors for the rear lights, but the S2 harness has bullet connectors and I believe it will be easier for me to swap the harness ends for female spade ends in this particular case only

BDA a good set of snips, a stripper and some female spade ends are all I need for this particular instance. I don't have any particular feelings towards any type of connector in particular, I just have an incompatibility issue more than anything else. Also the wires from the light housing are very short in the rear so the harness, even if brand new is the easier thing to modify and ensure its done properly.

JB you're correct it does seem to be the wiper motor plug. I looked back at the diagram after some time at work and it made much more sense. That means I routed my harness improperly forward of the cab but I don't think that'll be too difficult to sort. That also must mean that one of the other smaller harnesses I've been confused as to the purpose of music be the front light harness...

Having never attempted wiring before this is turning into a bit of an adventure. Bummer I won't get to touch it much until this weekend as my work week is slammed!  :-\

Offline Rainer

« Reply #54 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 11:15:17 PM »
Spade connectors are correct.
The Carello lights are from italy, and bullet connectors are pretty much non existent outside the uk.

Offline Rainer

« Reply #55 on: Monday,October 10, 2022, 11:33:13 PM »
May this helps, pictures of my original S1a ignition switch.
This kind of switch seems no longer be available but you can switch out the key core with the standard lucas one.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #56 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 06:03:22 AM »
When I installed my Autosparks harness I found that the front light wiring was deficient. After showing them what was missing they shipped me the correct wires and connectors. To avoid cross eyed tracing issues I had the schematic blown up 2x and had the result printed and laminated. Easier on my fading eye sight.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 07:58:27 AM »
Rainer I remember reading somewhere that the rear lights on an S1 were from a Lancia or something similar! If the lights are correct I'd much rather modify the harness instead. Also my ignition switch looks nothing like that so I'll look at sourcing something similar to an S2 ignition switch now that I have an S2 harness just to make it all easier on my tiny brain!

Sandyman I do recall you mentioning the you had some small issues with the wiring to the front not being 100% correct during your install but I'm glad to hear they sorted it out. Was the harness proper otherwise? I'm pretty certain all my issues are of my own making but I'm just trying to cover all my bases. I actually shoved the wiper motor plug section of the harness through  the front frame T thinking it was a plug for the headlights so ill have to pull the front section of the harness back out and see where I went wrong. I bet the front harness is one of the small harnesses that came with the main one.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 08:00:18 AM by DreamsOfA47 »

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 10:44:53 AM »
The wiring is working great. I added another 3 fuse mount and a ground circuit beside the original fuses. Both are wired directly to the battery. I am using these for uprated rad fan, electric washer motor, GPS speedometer and cellphone charger port.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #59 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 12:03:58 PM »
Sandyman, do you have a picture of that? It looks like I could use that. I'll be wiring in a Spal fan, and an air horn that needs a separate feed.