Lotus Europa Forums > FS / WTB: Cars and Rollers

Looking for an AC car ... or a retrofit

(1/2) > >>

vh2q:
Living here in central TX, one needs AC for about 7 months of the year. I already own a car without AC and don't really care to repeat that mistake. I think I have seen two Europas with AC in 10 years and they were basket cases. I suspect also that these ancient AC systems are not reliable or effective.  So probably need to retrofit. Any leads appreciated.

jbcollier:
Once you have the compressor mounted, the rest is pretty straight forward.  What Europa do you have, Renault or TC powered.  Any engine mods?

Clifton:
I'm in Phoenix and know what you mean. I put a/c in mine. A Vintage Air Mini Gen II fits behind the dash and replaces the heater at the same time. Unit is lighter than the stock heater and contains a heater too. A/C control is were the ash tray was. I bought an A/C crimper for the rubber lines then sold it when I was done. Used Vintage air hard lines on all of it. If it's diy it's reasonable. If you are paying for labor this might be expensive, it is a bit of work.

vh2q:
Thanks all. I don't have one yet ... still looking. Pref a TC. I have a flare tool .. run copper inside some sort of rubber for insulation?

jbcollier:
If you go the TC route then you need a double front pulley so the AC belt tension is not applied to the water pump bearings.  Or, use an electric water pump for the same reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version