Author Topic: TCS Windshield Surround Alternative  (Read 12075 times)

Offline Gmg31

Re: TCS Windshield Surround Alternative
« Reply #30 on: Saturday,May 05, 2018, 01:16:50 AM »
My chrome plastic surround was hideous and as others have mentioned I didn’t want to risk breaking the screen. So I fitted new tidy corners then masked it all up and sprayed it. It turned out way better than I had anticipated.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #31 on: Saturday,May 05, 2018, 03:26:40 AM »
Been there...

Pilkington with all new trim and corners from Ray...measure, miter, heat gun to shape and Silkaflex.

He was able to get me the original foil inlay style from Japan, and the gasket profile is exactly the same as you have pictured.

When you do have it done, remember to support the roof from inside during install, the weight of the glass will cause a slight sag...leave it propped till cured.

Lou, your install looks great. Very nice work. When you say Ray got you the original foil inlay from Japan, what do you mean?

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #32 on: Saturday,May 05, 2018, 04:55:04 AM »
Certified...

Back in 2008, when I was amassing spare parts for my restoration, I contacted Ray to inquire about the windshield trim. At that time he had no replacement sources here in the states and the vendors in the UK had dried up.
 He made me aware of the possibility of obtaining the original factory style reproductions (which had a chrome foil inlay) from his contacts in Japan.
About two months went by when Ray summoned me to visit...the trim had arrived but, the size would require all new corner pieces. He mentioned that he was able to get one of the last sets of this style and would be sourcing new vendors for the future. I guess this was a trial for the both of us, so I decided to go for it.

I went over my old receipts and here's the breakdown...

Pro source Pilkington classic tinted...$400...shipping wooden box from Ohio $150.
3 piece trim kit $180...4 corners $104 from R&D...

« Last Edit: Saturday,May 05, 2018, 05:32:05 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #33 on: Sunday,May 06, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »
This may be obvious but I'd like confirm. It occurs to me that the windshield seals enough inside the edges that the stock trim can fit on the edge of the glass after the windshield is bonded to the car. Right?

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #34 on: Sunday,May 06, 2018, 06:05:08 PM »
Yes.

Offline BDA

« Reply #35 on: Sunday,May 06, 2018, 06:41:24 PM »
Thanks!