Author Topic: TC special throwout bearing advice  (Read 3113 times)

Offline ottocycle

TC special throwout bearing advice
« on: Monday,September 09, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »
Hi all.

What is the best option as far as throwout bearings are concerned? I have a noise coming from the bellhousing and need to separate the trans from the motor and replace it. I will probably do the clutch and pilot bushing while I am in there (the existing clutch has only 25,000 miles but while I am in there..........). I can go with a Dave Bean unit or Banks make a heavy duty one. I heard the stock unit is a weak link. Is that true? Has anyone got a suggestion?

BTW. I am still going through the manual, but can the engine support itself without the trans or do I need to block it up when I separate them?

Thanks,

Dermot.

Offline cal44

Re: TC special throwout bearing advice
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 09, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »
Block the engine.....just for general good measure.  As for the clutch........I got nothin'.  I do look forward to others opinions as to Banks.  Also don't forget you have R.D Enterprises close to you.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Lotusjps

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »
I would highly recommend going to a hydraulic throw out bearing. I did recently and am amazed how much smoother it is to operate. I went with a Tilton bearing and master. I machined a 1/2" 3x6 aluminum bar stock to sit flat on the back of the bellhousing to give the bearing a good surface to mount to. I also moved the stop on the pedal down and to the inboard side to provide a solid stop.
I'm using a quarter master clutch which is pretty stiff, and hydraulic made it so much easier to control (that and I shattered the original clutch fork).

I can post pictures if I can figure out how on here.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,September 24, 2013, 08:16:17 AM by Lotusjps »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2013, 08:15:21 AM »
Very interesting. I'm curious to learn more. Any pics of the mod, by any chance?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lotusjps

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
OK, here's some pictures.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »
Very nice modification  :trophy:
I converted to hydraulics, but only the leaver.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Lotusjps

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »
Nice install.  When I first put in the Quarter Master clutch I had considered using a slave ram like yours but had some clearance issues to mount it between the shift linkage and headers.  When the clutch fork eventually broke I figured the hydraulic bearing was my only avenue.  I ended up using the shortest one Tilton makes and a 1/2" mounting plate, and the clutch/bearing clearance worked out perfectly.  I also had challenges mounting the master seeing I already have a dual master brake set up with interior adjustable balance bar.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »
Hi all.

What is the best option as far as throwout bearings are concerned? I have a noise coming from the bellhousing and need to separate the trans from the motor and replace it. I will probably do the clutch and pilot bushing while I am in there (the existing clutch has only 25,000 miles but while I am in there..........). I can go with a Dave Bean unit or Banks make a heavy duty one. I heard the stock unit is a weak link. Is that true? Has anyone got a suggestion?

BTW. I am still going through the manual, but can the engine support itself without the trans or do I need to block it up when I separate them?

Thanks,

Dermot.
Hi Dermot,
I'm not sure that the stock throwout bearing is a weak link. I've not heard that. I'm using the stock throw out bearing on my car and have not experienced an issue. Before you go to all the trouble of pulling the tranny you might want to check the cable adjustment. Sometime if it is a little loose it will cause the bearing to whine a bit. My suggestion would be to replace with a stock bearing and service the pilot bushing at the same time. With only 25,000 miles you might get lucky and not need a clutch. And yes block the motor when you pull the tranny, although it won't fall on you but it will tilt toward the rear.   
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
Excellent, thanks for the pics Lotusjps. A fine mod indeed. Cheers.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline ottocycle

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,October 01, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
Thanks everyone. I just got back from vacation and  read the replys.
Lotus Joe, I appreciate your advice and will check for excessive play in the clutch cable. I am sure it is in the manual but how much slack should there be?
Thanks,

Dermot.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,October 01, 2013, 02:17:11 PM »
Thanks everyone. I just got back from vacation and  read the replys.
Lotus Joe, I appreciate your advice and will check for excessive play in the clutch cable. I am sure it is in the manual but how much slack should there be?
Thanks,

Dermot.
You want to just tighten the cable till the throwout bearing comes in contact with the pressure plate. That is to say when you press the pedal about a half inch or so it should feel as though it is starting to disengage the clutch. Start by loosing the cable at the throw out bearing fork. Tighten till it feels like it is in contact with the pressure plate. Try the pedal to confirm that the clutch is disengaging.

Here is the workshop manual procedure.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/images/WorkshopManual/TC_Section_Q_-_Clutch.pdf
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)