Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Freeing up potentially rusted piston rings to cylinder

<< < (3/3)

Grumblebuns:
I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the cylinder walls and the top of 1 & 4 pistons. There was saw no rust on the walls and the tops of both pistons looked like shiny aluminum. Pistons 2 & 3 were near the top of the stroke so the borescope couldn't focus in but bodes well for the overall condition of this engine. I may be overly cautious at this stage but I at least want some lubricant on the rings when the crank is being rotated; acetone/ MMO or a light oil mixture may do the trick.   

Richard48Y:
Another thing to watch for.
Dry bearings!
I think the Ford engine oiling can be primed fairly simply.

Grumblebuns:
It took a little bit of effort but I got the engine to break free and rotate freely. I was initially going to use ATF/acetone mixture but I discovered that my can of acetone had evaporated away long ago and my can of WD40 had lost its air pressure. At that time I was tired and most likely too lazy to make the 25 miles round trip to the hardware store in town. I did have a can of PB Blaster which I decided to use. The piston rings probably were not too badly rusted to the cylinders but the PB Blaster did the job. Once I finish the leak down test I'll pour in some light lubricant to coat the piston walls for long term storage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version