Author Topic: Working through monsoon season  (Read 1406 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Working through monsoon season
« on: Sunday,July 22, 2018, 09:24:25 PM »
The weather patterns for the east coast have been mimicking the far eastern monsoons.   I hope it all dries up before LOG.   Speaking of which, 2 steps forward on 650R with the engine bay just as about complete as it’s going to be next month and I have a good start in assembling the interior (no pics just yet).   The one step back is the mess I made of the RRear fender.  It’s a long story filled with all sorts of minor disasters leading up to a spot that’s sanded through the gel coat and the clear coat  missing all around it.    I don’t want to talk about it.  It won’t be pretty next month, but I’ll do something to minimize the damage.   I’m back to a 10 foot car :(
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Working through monsoon season
« Reply #1 on: Monday,July 23, 2018, 03:55:59 AM »
Looking good. I had a similar experience with wet sandpaper where I thought I was just removing some scratches.......nope, sanded all the way to fiberglass.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,July 23, 2018, 05:28:07 AM »
Bummer! As bad as it looks to you, I doubt anybody at the LOG will notice it. They will have plenty of other things to look at!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Monday,July 23, 2018, 06:00:54 PM »
Hi Left Angle , the engine compartment looks great and I really like the honeycomb pattern on the inside lid. What did you use ?
As for the monsoon season , yes very high humidity here also delaying my painting. I have a similar blemish to repair . Have you thought about doing a spot repair with color and clear and coming back later to reclear?
Dakazman

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,July 26, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
I’m experimenting on making the damage more presentable.   My expertise and access to materials is being highly compromised by my location.  I’ll be asking onlookers to squint :)

The carbon fiber lining is a special design.  It’s called honeycomb weave.  I was told it was a bear  to install and why there are portions still unfinished.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.