Author Topic: The Italian connection 3522r  (Read 26688 times)

Offline Impromptu

Re: The Italian connection 3522r
« Reply #150 on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 10:42:23 PM »
Only just realize you have a revotec thermostat installed. I ordered one as well, but I am unsure on which radiator hose to install it. Did you install it on the top or bottom radiator hose? Perhaps could you share a picture?

I bought a chinese aluminium radiator, and there is an otter switch bung that’s plugged of what seems to be a plastic plug. I intend to leave that unused like that and only rely on the revotec, but I amnot sure about the plug. Perhaps I should try to find a metal one, but then again galvanic corrosion might be an issue, unlike with the plastic plug.

Jan

Offline BDA

« Reply #151 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 08:59:30 AM »
You should definitely find a metal plug because that plastic one is only to keep junk out of the radiator during storage, handling, and shipping.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #152 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 10:40:37 AM »
Lots of modern rads use plastic plugs.  If it is built for the job, it will be fine.  If it is just meant to keep dust out during transport, then not so much.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #153 on: Friday,August 02, 2024, 09:11:38 AM »
The time of departure is drawing near...

Planning our 3 week hiatus is in full swing. I can taste the Prosciutto and melon already!

The F1 race at Monza is in the window, along with Minardi Day at Imola. Can't wait to see family and friends and share some wheel time with Vic in the Europa.

https://www.autodromoimola.it/en/minardi-day-en/

Offline BDA

« Reply #154 on: Friday,August 02, 2024, 09:41:04 AM »
Excellent! I'm looking forward to the Lou & Vic travelogue!!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #155 on: Monday,August 12, 2024, 10:22:37 AM »
Cheers Lou. Road trip time again. And an F1 race to boot. Looking forward to the post-trip report.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #156 on: Thursday,September 12, 2024, 04:55:41 AM »
I'm finally over the jet lag...Where do I begin?

The three weeks spent can be summed up with F's...Family, food, fun & fast. Just after arriving it was straight off to Imola to attend Minardi day. The yearly celebration and collection of classic race cars with unlimited paddock access. A visit to Montemaggiore to celebrate the reenactment of Sir Winston Churchill's visit and liberation by Polish troops of the Gothic line in August 1944.

Vic arranged a special meeting "Barn find"...of a gentleman of 92yrs in the next town of Cerasa. This dude had been a moto GP rider in his early days and had over 70 vintage personal cycles stashed away in his warehouse. MV Agusta, Bennelli, Ducati, Moto Morini, Aprilla...he also had some Brit bikes like Vincent and BSA. I lost count of how many wonderful machines he had. Included were three cars I had never seen before, Talbot Matra three front seat mid engine glass body beauties from the 80's. Similar in size and shape to the Lotus Esprit. (I will post some pics later)

Needles to say, my rental was used sparingly for family outings and those long distant voyages...

3522 R provided those days of pure driving pleasure and excitement. It never missed a beat during our romps around the small quiet surroundings & blasting thru the twisting sweepers of the Apennines mountains.

I guess the racing God's favored me again with a special treat. Monza was one for the books, a fantastic unexpected victory and the massive Tifosi's celebration had all of Italy go bonkers...

In retrospect I would like to mention, I had a goal to loose some weight with morning walks and eating right in order to continue fitting in the Europa. I can honestly say mission accomplished. The Italians shop for essentials every day, everything they consume is fresh and cooked daily. If for any reason you may want to vacation there, the meals are truly remarkable.

Can't wait to get back...

« Last Edit: Saturday,September 14, 2024, 02:50:48 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #157 on: Thursday,September 12, 2024, 07:10:51 AM »
A Drozdowski travelogue!!  :pirate:

It sounds like you had a great time in Italy again! I’m looking forward to your pictures! Congratulations on losing some weight! I can’t imagine it was easy with all that good food!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #158 on: Thursday,September 12, 2024, 08:40:16 AM »
Thanks BDA...Some pictures

Offline BDA

« Reply #159 on: Thursday,September 12, 2024, 08:53:26 AM »
Very cool!! Thanks!

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #160 on: Thursday,September 12, 2024, 12:04:53 PM »
I was in the covered stand on Parabolica entry. I'm 60 this year and went with my 25year old daughter and two colleagues who are both 50 this year. Had a great time if you are at an Italian GP you wont beat the exhileration than when Ferrari wins on merit. Thi was my first Italian GP, all my others (only about 4) were at Silverstone, but my first was in 1987 when Mansell won and overtook Piquet in the clip the British TV stations always include at the start of British GP coverage, so that is a hard one to beat!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #161 on: Friday,September 13, 2024, 08:24:36 AM »
A few more pictures...

Offline BDA

« Reply #162 on: Friday,September 13, 2024, 08:30:06 AM »
Great pictures, Lou! I hope you have more and will post them!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #163 on: Saturday,September 14, 2024, 02:41:30 AM »
Did some homework on that strange little Matra I saw...Mr. Saudelli had three of these stashed away!

https://petrolicious.com/articles/a-slice-of-french-heritage-my-1983-matra-murena

ps...conversations with your hands in Italy is universal.
« Last Edit: Saturday,September 14, 2024, 02:46:43 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #164 on: Saturday,September 14, 2024, 07:22:12 AM »
Those Matras look very normal for French cars! The French have very strange and sometimes interesting ideas for cars. Many years ago, I saw a French race car probably from the sixties that I think had a helicopter engine but the really weird thing was it had finned brake drums on the outside of the wheels - no doubt for better cooling. Unfortunately I don’t remember how they were actuated. I’ve been to trying to remember that for years!