Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 70598 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #525 on: Saturday,July 02, 2022, 10:03:55 PM »
The bell housing is for a Zetec, right?

Yes that is correct. The plan is to use all the SVT Zetec mounting holes, move the starter to zetec position, change to hydraulic throw out bearing, remove the alternator bracket which fouls the zetec thermostat. The overall length and  suspension pick up points are retained from the TCS bellhousing.

It is not the fast way to mate a zetec to a renault trans, but I am really looking forward to digging in to the casting process. One of the last pieces of equipment I need to make is a degassing lance which removes hydrogen porosity. Hydrogen gas is actually soluble in molten aluminum and it is common to plunge a long staff in the melt which diffuses argon through the mixture to carry impurities out of the melt. If this isn't done then pin holes occur in the finished casting when it cools...so says the books I am reading!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #526 on: Sunday,July 03, 2022, 04:11:53 AM »
Great project! Who knows, I may do that swap one day and this would be a fantastic help!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #527 on: Sunday,July 03, 2022, 07:24:13 PM »
Great project! Who knows, I may do that swap one day and this would be a fantastic help!

If it works I will be glad to make you one! I will most likely do a small batch of this particular part once I get the hang of casting it.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #528 on: Monday,July 04, 2022, 09:14:56 AM »
Put me on the “list”… 8)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #529 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 08:46:11 AM »
Thanks guys! It truly was a special day. I can't wait to have one on the road...so much so that I got another one....
Congrats, Chuck. Good looking Europa.

Cool Eclat, too. I sometimes keep an eye out for one of the Elite versions (if one is going weird, one may as well pull the stops). Is the +2 yours? Nice car. I have often thought that when I get too decrepit to get in and out of my Europa, I would seek out a +2.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Online dakazman

« Reply #530 on: Tuesday,July 05, 2022, 04:05:35 PM »
  Golly.... They are both beautiful.  I saved the picture,  :huh:   So I can sit in aughh.
     Dakazman

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #531 on: Tuesday,December 20, 2022, 09:57:20 PM »
Is it still called juggling projects if I wait over 120 days before picking up on this again? I think orbiting is a more correct verb as there is a celestial pace to all this :)

I have been busy 3d scanning stuff. Lots of fun projects in the works. Once again I turned the attention of the scanner to my motor swap. I am in the process of fine tuning the motor mounts so that they can be laser cut, bent, and welded very easily.

The bellhousing has stalled a bit as I have found any excuse not to finish the degassing set up for my foundry. I read through the last few pages of this thread and I realized I have really not done a good job conveying my goings on....Just before summer I picked up a metal clad wooden building that is essentially a glorified shanty which is serving as the new outpost for my projects. It became a project itself as I have been wiring and pluming the thing for the wave of upcoming work that is about crash against it. It is really in appalling condition so I am planning to expand with a proper metal building.... More concrete and metal building projects to come...

On the rear disc brake front I adapted my bracket to fit S1/S2. I need to machine the test pieces and fit them to my blue S2. It has been taken out of service for a while due to a leaking diff. I used this opportunity to rebuild the drivetrain which turned out be badly worn. While I was there I figured doing rear discs would be a good idea.... and now it's another non running lotus in my life!

« Last Edit: Tuesday,December 20, 2022, 10:01:14 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #532 on: Saturday,February 25, 2023, 09:06:14 AM »
I have a bit of an update. I have been fighting my hobby 3d printer to make this bellhousing pattern for a while now. The Creality design works on small scale, but the 500mm cubed S5 is really pushing its limits. I have had issues with distortion, layers pulling up, etc. I might work for a one off after much frustration, but it isn't what I would call reliable. I luckily stumbled on the liquidation of a 3d printing and materials company in Houston while I was doing a tradeshow there this week. Thanks to this auction I am now the proud owner of a new industrial robot! This printer is a Creatbot D600pro which has a 600mm cubed work envelope. It has a dual extruder which is going to play a vital role in future casting projects. There is a water soluble support filament that will help form hollow cavities for the lost PLA method I intend on using to prototype aluminum castings with.

I am expecting my shipment of 9 Europa windshields from SJ on Monday, so there should be a running S2 in my life soon :) My disc brake brackets are coming along. I am working this weekend on the prototype set of front/rear for the S2 and the Elan. The TCS is waiting on the bellhousing, and then it will be a rolling chassis....How much longer???

My friend with the fiber laser has been helping me cut some plate for my motor mounts and other little projects. I put little tabs on the plates to make them easier to locate and weld up. It worked pretty well, but I need to make a welding fixture to help minimize distortion for the next set. I have a friend who has become my first patron. He is going to walk this path with me and swap a Zetec in to a TCS using the bellhousing, mounts, etc that I am doing.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #533 on: Saturday,February 25, 2023, 09:08:33 AM »
Awesome!

Offline BDA

« Reply #534 on: Saturday,February 25, 2023, 10:46:36 AM »
Amazing stuff, Chuck! Are you planning to go into production with this stuff? Are you planning on being the US's Richard Winter?!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #535 on: Saturday,February 25, 2023, 11:10:33 AM »
Amazing stuff, Chuck! Are you planning to go into production with this stuff? Are you planning on being the US's Richard Winter?!

:) Too early to say. I got burned by customs on those windshields so I am incentivized to figure out a method of producing as much as I can in Texas....

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #536 on: Saturday,February 25, 2023, 02:26:18 PM »
"...hollow cavities for the lost PLA method"

Please expand on this a little.
Are you saying that there is a type of PLA that can take the place of casting wax and runs well in 3D printers?
I have not been interested 3D to just end up with a plastic part.
But as a lost wax process master I would be very interested.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #537 on: Saturday,February 25, 2023, 02:48:48 PM »
"...hollow cavities for the lost PLA method"

Please expand on this a little.
Are you saying that there is a type of PLA that can take the place of casting wax and runs well in 3D printers?
I have not been interested 3D to just end up with a plastic part.
But as a lost wax process master I would be very interested.

Sure thing. Here is an article that someone put together about the process. https://all3dp.com/2/lost-pla-casting-guide/#:~:text=Lost%2DPLA%20casting%20takes%20the,more%20reliable%20than%20wax%20sculptures.

From my understanding you want to use a "natural PLA" without colors because they create ash during burn out apparently. Polymaker sells "Polycast" which is supposed to be very low ash. I bought natural PLA from Coex as it is less expensive. I will let you know how my bellhousing casting goes. I made a medium sized foundry out of an old keg which will heat up a salamander A25 crucible. I recently made my degassing lance to help purge all the hydrogen which tends to collect in molten aluminum. We will see how it goes! I am supposed to cast some shift forks for a guy out of bronze soon (that will be a traditional sand cast as he has a pattern).

You don't need a dual extruder like my new printer to do the lost PLA method. I need that feature to print PLA and PVA in the same print. PVA is a water soluble plastic which is used as a support and can be washed away.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #538 on: Sunday,February 26, 2023, 07:46:18 AM »
Well damn I just realized my 10 year anniversary on this forum is coming up next week!

Maybe I need to wire up the SVT engine fire up in the chassis to celebrate!!

Here are the caliper brackets in process. The small ones on the front left are the rear Elan rear caliper brackets.

Offline BDA

« Reply #539 on: Sunday,February 26, 2023, 08:27:56 AM »
Happy Decade Anniversary (well, in a little while)!!  :BEER3:

Cool bits! I look forward to seeing them united with your babies!