Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 71245 times)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #495 on: Tuesday,February 08, 2022, 10:58:43 AM »
Exciting stuff. I'm keen to observe your progress on casting the new bell housing.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #496 on: Tuesday,February 08, 2022, 04:59:46 PM »
Thanks guys,

Right now I am thinking about trying a dedicated pattern, either 3d printed or machined from high density urethane tooling board. I am leaning toward machined because my 3d printer can not handle the full capacity in a single shot.

Like most things with this project this is certainly not the fastest or most effective way to do it. It is more of an exercise in developing a new skill which will be useful for future endeavors.

Roddy were you able to pick up any of the bottom bolts on the bellhousing?

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #497 on: Wednesday,February 09, 2022, 07:04:21 AM »
None of the bottom bolts lined up. From what I recall the holes in the bellhousing at the bottom were for a dust shield.  If you were to cast a new bellhousing it would be neat for the oil pan bolts to line up, but if you end up swapping the oil pan for a Raceline, Retroford or Neil Dunne pan, then the extra holes disappear.  I think it was only the blacktop and SVT that had them, I seem to remember the Silvertop didn't have them. 

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #498 on: Saturday,February 19, 2022, 06:45:15 PM »
I finally got around to curing my foundry. I took inspiration from Grunblau on youtube to make a keg foundry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pavhCwqUnc&t=6s
It got up to 900 C today...so hopefully I will have some patterns ready soon! It sounds like hellfire when it is going!

Offline BDA

« Reply #499 on: Saturday,February 19, 2022, 07:38:36 PM »
This reminds me of when John Britten was casting his engine parts in the documentary about him and his bike (https://youtu.be/FjXA6E0eqao?t=125). Here is the whole documentary: https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/britten-backyard-visionary-1993.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #500 on: Sunday,February 20, 2022, 09:41:58 AM »
This reminds me of when John Britten was casting his engine parts in the documentary about him and his bike (https://youtu.be/FjXA6E0eqao?t=125). Here is the whole documentary: https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/britten-backyard-visionary-1993.

cylinder heads coming soon :)

Offline BDA

« Reply #501 on: Monday,February 21, 2022, 05:54:19 AM »
Make sure your swimming pool is filled!   :FUNNY:

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #502 on: Monday,February 21, 2022, 07:02:44 AM »
I still need to dig my own! Would you mind coming over and helping my with diy lathe made from bicycle wheels so that I can finish turning my stone columns?  :FUNNY:

Offline BDA

« Reply #503 on: Monday,February 21, 2022, 07:07:47 AM »
Do I get to help make your faucets?  :FUNNY:

Online dakazman

« Reply #504 on: Monday,February 21, 2022, 07:33:27 AM »
    You guys are killing me... I'm trying to stay focused and your having fun building all this cool stuff .  :FUNNY:
      Enjoy and be Happy.
  Dakazman

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #505 on: Friday,March 04, 2022, 11:26:34 AM »
If there is no other theme to this project, let it be the gross abuse of technology to solve problems that never existed until I unnecessarily invented them.

Luckily my job has given me connections to people with some very fun toys. One of them is a good friend who makes off road racing parts. He has a very nice 3d laser scanner which I used to scan the TCS bellhousing, and the focus SVT bellhousing. Compared to my brute force approach of gage pins, calipers, a height gage, and a center probe this is already off to a flying start. I merged the two scans after capturing the bores of all the bolt holes. Yellow is the TCS, pink is the SVT. You can see which holes overlap, where the lower suspension arms need to be, etc. My plan is to source a larger 3d printer and use it to print a test piece. Once I have a working piece, I will scale up a version to allow for casting shrinkage and try my hand at sand casting....

With that said please allow 6-12 months for the Charles time scale.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Friday,March 04, 2022, 03:59:49 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Online TurboFource

« Reply #506 on: Friday,March 04, 2022, 12:20:56 PM »
Nice!

It appears the bolt pattern lines up well(?)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Online dakazman

« Reply #507 on: Friday,March 04, 2022, 03:30:31 PM »
  My my , technology sure has come along way from a draftsman table.  Cad programs on steroids which these scanners.  Very enticing…
    Sand casting is another art I would love to experiment with. Buying a forge is on my list of to-do’s
Keep us posted
Dakazman

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #508 on: Thursday,April 07, 2022, 10:31:13 PM »
The bellhousing model is progressing nicely. I am currently test printing a 1/3 scale model to make sure the draft angles work as intended. If this works I have many new casting projects that are about to spring to life...My part incorporates the suspension pickups and depth of the TCS bellhousing, while utilizing the zetec starter location and all the associated bolt holes to mount it to the engine. I have dithered back and forth about doing a sleeve for the pilot, or a bronze bush, etc. I am leaning toward extending the input shaft via interference fitting a new pilot section which will work with the ford unit. I am also looking at using a Tilton hydraulic slave.

I also managed to source the larger 3d printer I needed to make this thing come to life. Thanks very much to an amphetamine addled gentleman by way of Alexandria Louisiana's Facebook marketplace. Beauty!
« Last Edit: Thursday,April 07, 2022, 10:38:10 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Online TurboFource

« Reply #509 on: Friday,April 08, 2022, 03:31:13 AM »
Nice work so far Chuck!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....