Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 71222 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #465 on: Tuesday,December 21, 2021, 08:21:09 PM »
  I’ll have to use this thread in the future. I found a nice ford SVT focus engine in a local salvage yard.
I got the tc bell housing ready .😂, it’s just a little project to play with further down the road.
Dakazman

Dman.... You have no idea how pertinent your post is. I purchased an SVT Focus this very evening!

My reasoning was such;
The standard Zetec manifold wont fit, so throttle bodies and standalone ECU are needed. A custom header is needed....I was practically there and lacked only to buy the ECU

Yesterday I stumbled across an SVT Focus with a bad clutch and fuel pump....then the wheels started turning. The intake manifold is different and may just fit as is... It has a tuned header which may just fit too! The ECU and existing harness can be used if this is the case. I got all of it for a very reasonable price (less than it would cost to finish my zetec swap w/ ECU) It makes 170hp out of the box, and I suspect could be flashed to run without cats to a decent performance increase.

I have not yet seen an SVT swapped europa...it actually may be slightly less painful than the standard zetec route, (or there may be a damn good reason why not). I think I can use my standard zetec flywheel and renault clutch combo in place of the dual mass SVT unit. My worst case scenario from this endeavor is that a stand alone ECU is unavoidable. MS3pro will still run the SVT engine which has higher compression and a variable intake cam, so it is really not too big of a risk...if anything I only end up with a more powerful engine.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,December 22, 2021, 05:35:50 AM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #466 on: Wednesday,December 22, 2021, 07:50:14 AM »
  Chuck, my SVT find is still at the salvage yard , I wanted to go back with the bellhousing to make sure it fit first.
then reread the manual  of notes I've collected . I can't wait for your version.
  Right now, I have enough to keep me busy.
Dakazman

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #467 on: Wednesday,December 22, 2021, 08:49:40 AM »
  Chuck, my SVT find is still at the salvage yard , I wanted to go back with the bellhousing to make sure it fit first.
then reread the manual  of notes I've collected . I can't wait for your version.
  Right now, I have enough to keep me busy.
Dakazman

Your S2 has a slightly tighter angle at the fork if I recall correctly, so it may not be exactly the same as my fitment. I hope to have some progress for you soon. If I can get this thing to clear with the stock intake and exhaust I will be a happy boy.

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #468 on: Wednesday,December 22, 2021, 09:30:27 AM »
Hi Chuck….so 170 and a standard ecu……what a great solution…fingers crossed for you

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #469 on: Tuesday,December 28, 2021, 07:40:26 AM »
The cutting has begun!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #470 on: Tuesday,December 28, 2021, 12:18:01 PM »
Wow!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #471 on: Wednesday,December 29, 2021, 09:34:06 PM »
Coming along...I need to move the truck out tomorrow so I can have room to do the cutting.

Does anyone have recommendations on smaller pads? I picked up some 6" foam pads and compound from Rupes. They are working well so far.

Offline BDA

« Reply #472 on: Wednesday,December 29, 2021, 11:02:23 PM »
She’s going to look amazing, Chuck!  :beerchug:

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #473 on: Thursday,December 30, 2021, 01:14:46 AM »
Wow…that’s amazing

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #474 on: Thursday,December 30, 2021, 01:51:23 AM »
Looks fantastic! :trophy:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #475 on: Thursday,December 30, 2021, 05:23:28 PM »
  I use these , 3 Inch pads but on a harbor freight angle polisher
Here is a good assortment of cutting / polishing and waxing.
No wax yet on the new paint. Polish is ok.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185016457973

The finishing work look perfect, congratulations.
I added a pic of the polisher but I found one on Amazon even cheaper.

Dakazman
Dave

« Last Edit: Thursday,December 30, 2021, 05:45:21 PM by dakazman »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #476 on: Thursday,December 30, 2021, 06:26:09 PM »
Thanks guys!

Thanks for the recommendation Dman. I got the 3" mounted to my da palm sander, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll check that out. I also picked up one of those Mother's cone shaped foam polishers.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #477 on: Wednesday,January 05, 2022, 07:50:44 PM »
I am probably up to 6 passes with cutting compound to get all these little scratches out. The 2000 seem to leave after 2 passes. I should probably do 3000 and up....Seems to take at least an hour of cutting on each panel to get the last little ones out, not counting cut swirls. I haven't started the finishing polish yet, but my goodness I am a happy boy so far.

Has anyone on here had luck with clear bra? After all this work I am tempted to try and preserve the finish as long as possible.

The fuel pump for the SVT shows up this weekend so I will see if I can get it to start. I was digging through boxes in the attic and I found a spare TCS wiring harness that my friend gave me when he parted out a car...Dave McGuire you legend!

Offline BDA

« Reply #478 on: Wednesday,January 05, 2022, 08:42:32 PM »
That really looks great, Chuck!!  :beerchug:

I don't personally have experience with a clear bra but a friend of mine got one on his used Honda S2000. I thought it was a good idea. You had to look closely to see it. I don't think he had enough miles on it to be able to tell how much of a difference it made though.

I don't have a lot of miles on mine since I put it on the road - not as many as I wish - but I'm not aware of any chips on the front of my car. I've done some highway driving too. I think the shape of the front of the car can make a car more susceptible and maybe the shape of the Europa helps in that regard. On the other hand, with all the time and money you've put into that paint, adding a little extra protection would probably be a worthwhile investment.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #479 on: Thursday,January 06, 2022, 04:40:47 PM »
Chuck, I looked back a few pages but didn't see it. After the sandpaper, what products are you using to bring up the shine? I haven't had much success with the Meguiar's 105/205 polishes.