Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 71006 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #450 on: Friday,December 10, 2021, 08:37:27 AM »
I had my cables custom made by a local big truck shop.  Can't remember if they are 1/4" or #10-32.  Rock solid and not a hint of play in 15K.
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 11, 2021, 06:00:09 AM by jbcollier »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #451 on: Friday,December 10, 2021, 09:52:46 PM »
Thanks guys!

Gavin, the style you mention does appear to be the gold standard. The Elise and Evora use a similar mechanism which has been refined in the aftermarket by a more rigid frame and more durable joints. The problem is like you mention, the translation is done by a perpendicular shaft on the main ball joint. This would be difficult to do with the standard arrangement.

I studied the esprit's shift mechanism which is pictured below. Lotus used a lateral pivoting arm (in this case above the main pivot point.) I took my inspiration from this, and decided to add a spherical joint like is common in modern cable shifters, except it is in the axis of the main shift lever.

My print just finished of the revised lateral arm which captures the joint. I will revise it a bit more before it is committed to metal, but it does feel very positive now. I think it was the angle of my photo which caused confusion. I added a pic of the lever in full side to side, and front to back. The pivot arm will need to be a bit longer to capture the bearing race on the fully back position.

I love the little delicate Europa shifter and I am trying my damnedest to keep it! That monster of a tube that was attached to it....that lives in my attic now.

The wet sanding is progressing well.... I just received a package in the mail with coolant hoses and an alternator per DA's zetec conversion. Unfortunately I may have sourced the wrong one because it looks like I will need to make or source a new pulley for the correct belt.

I also received my M8x1.25 taps and 6mm dowels to finish my Renault clutch conversion on the Zetec flywheel. I need to turn a pilot bushing extension and throw out bearing extension to finish this part of the project off! Then it will have....4 wheels!!!!

I suppose I should ask now. Does anyone out there have any strong feelings on a stand alone ECU? I am looking at the megasquirt  MS3 evo.
« Last Edit: Friday,December 10, 2021, 10:07:42 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #452 on: Saturday,December 11, 2021, 04:10:28 AM »
Chuck I am curious to see how your shifter turns out! I am also considering creating one inspired by the Esprit shifter…….I would like to leave that monster of a tube hanging on the garage wall ;)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #453 on: Saturday,December 11, 2021, 10:38:44 AM »
   Can’t wait to see that paint shine 😎.

You will be amazed and proud of your work. It’s a feeling like your front doors gives you.

Dakazman

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #454 on: Saturday,December 11, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »
 :)

I am taking my time enjoying the final few rounds of sanding this car, still at 1500... I've just about got the orange out of this black fruit.

Offline BDA

« Reply #455 on: Saturday,December 11, 2021, 02:50:37 PM »
She's going to be a beauty, Chuck!!

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #456 on: Saturday,December 11, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »
Looking good. I really like the stripes, they look to have come out really well.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #457 on: Monday,December 13, 2021, 10:17:42 PM »
Flywheel is officially mated to the clutch. I got it drilled, tapped, and pinned for the Renault clutch plate and disc. The indicator said I had it concentric to at least .0005" I will have it balanced as an assembly with the plate after I remove another lump of mass off the backside. For now the task is to make the TO and Pilot bearing extensions...then the wheels go on!

Offline BDA

« Reply #458 on: Tuesday,December 14, 2021, 05:39:00 AM »
Nicely done!  :beerchug:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #459 on: Wednesday,December 15, 2021, 06:20:18 AM »
  X2 that.
Dakazman

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #460 on: Wednesday,December 15, 2021, 10:20:41 AM »
….just going back to your cable gear change. I have a bespoke cable system on mine and have had a breakage in the wire where the run wasn't quite straight enough right at the gearbox. As a result I always carry two spare cables just in case.

To make it an easy change, should the worst happen on a trip away from home, I have run these cables in a separate pipe for each. These pipes are then properly located and supported. This means that after disconnecting at the base of the gearstick I can just pull them. Makes it really really easy. I have used blue plastic water pipe for this. Blue isn’t ideal but it was to hand!

….well as easy as it can be with super large hands that is

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #461 on: Wednesday,December 15, 2021, 12:35:45 PM »
Flywheel is officially mated to the clutch. I got it drilled, tapped, and pinned for the Renault clutch plate and disc. The indicator said I had it concentric to at least .0005" I will have it balanced as an assembly with the plate after I remove another lump of mass off the backside. For now the task is to make the TO and Pilot bearing extensions...then the wheels go on!
Like your caliper mount fabrication. Why did you use a Renault pressure plate? I used the Zetec pressure plate with a larger Renault disc and it all fit no problem. Are you using an NG gearbox?
I understand the TO bearing extension, but not the pilot bearing if it is an NG. Am I missing something?

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #462 on: Wednesday,December 15, 2021, 06:11:32 PM »

Like your caliper mount fabrication. Why did you use a Renault pressure plate? I used the Zetec pressure plate with a larger Renault disc and it all fit no problem. Are you using an NG gearbox?
I understand the TO bearing extension, but not the pilot bearing if it is an NG. Am I missing something?

Thanks! The ID of the Zetec plate I had did not completely overlap the friction material of the Renault plate It was about 50% or so. I guess maybe I had a smaller disc? Right now I have a 352 going in the car. I do have an NG3 but it is for later. I have a second frame that will be built out with something special :)

I followed https://www.prevanders.net/europa/clutch.html

Granted he is not using the 352, or the clutch/flywheel I am using, but he did a good job laying out the challenges of mating a renault box to the Zetec. I really should try to dig up Dean's write up too.

The modified pilot is needed because my input shaft is 17mm and does not quite reach, nor would it fit in the ford pilot. I actually need to double check the spacing on the TO bearing. This is the first time I've had the assembly mounted on the engine and it looks like it may be within reach.

….just going back to your cable gear change. I have a bespoke cable system on mine and have had a breakage in the wire where the run wasn't quite straight enough right at the gearbox. As a result I always carry two spare cables just in case.

To make it an easy change, should the worst happen on a trip away from home, I have run these cables in a separate pipe for each. These pipes are then properly located and supported. This means that after disconnecting at the base of the gearstick I can just pull them. Makes it really really easy. I have used blue plastic water pipe for this. Blue isn’t ideal but it was to hand!

….well as easy as it can be with super large hands that is

Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,December 15, 2021, 09:09:02 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #463 on: Tuesday,December 21, 2021, 04:51:45 PM »
  I’ll have to use this thread in the future. I found a nice ford SVT focus engine in a local salvage yard.
I got the tc bell housing ready .😂, it’s just a little project to play with further down the road.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #464 on: Tuesday,December 21, 2021, 05:03:23 PM »
Very shiny, D'man!!!  :beerchug: