Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 71208 times)

Offline Clifton

Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #390 on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 06:43:05 PM »
Wow, you are set up. Do you run a little orange filter just before the gun? I have in the past but didn't thins time. It sounds like you have much more experience just based on your dryer but it doesn't hurt to ask. Do you wipe with a grease and wax remover or use reducer? A friend was a body paint guy and gave me a lot of tips prior to my first spray. Wipe, flip, wipe and toss, has do be very clean and lightly tack right before. I used white bounty paper towels and wiped the whole car a few times. It was drilled that it will ruin paint if there was any oils. I never touched the car during all the body work without nitrile gloves either.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #391 on: Friday,October 08, 2021, 08:27:18 PM »
My final approach is a similar practice. Wipe down with W&G in stages until there is no residue, let it dry 30 min. Light tack and spray. I have also run the ball filter in the past, I was talked out of it by my paint reps. To eliminate variables I put my paint in an aerosol container and it came out just fine.

When I painted the truck I used desiccant and a filter and it worked fine.
When I painted the BMW I used a different drier which is now on my machines. I had no issues
I picked up this little drier second hand and it may be the issue. The problem is that I think it contaminated the lines too. I will pick up new lines and some filters tomorrow and try it out again...

On the plus side I am exactly where I wish I had been this morning in terms of set up. Car is taped up, staged, and ready to go. Wax and grease, light tack and then its time to spray.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #392 on: Saturday,October 09, 2021, 11:35:53 AM »
To test the simplest elimination of variables I removed the drier and the harbor freight stuff....first test card came out much better.... (boy will I feel silly if that was the problem) Tractor supply and Northern Tool sell this stuff called "Flexzilla" that came recommended. Its not much more than the HF stuff and its made in the USA. I think my days of frequenting the harbor are over...I will let you guys know how it goes.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #393 on: Sunday,October 10, 2021, 07:45:40 PM »
My grand ambitions fell short, but I got sealer and base down this weekend. Clear happens tomorrow.

The problem seemed to be the harbor freight hose....

Online BDA

« Reply #394 on: Sunday,October 10, 2021, 07:49:31 PM »
That looks really good, Chuck!

There are definitely things at Harbor Freight to stay away from!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #395 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 03:32:05 AM »
 8)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #396 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »
3 Coats of clear down. I goofed and sprayed the first two coats with the fluid needle dialed too far out...I got out of order and forgot to re set it after cleaning the gun... I ended up with more orange peel than usual, but I was able to salvage most of it on the 3rd coat. It all gets blocked down in preparation for the gold leaf and subsequent clear, so not too big a deal over all.

Online BDA

« Reply #397 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 12:32:11 PM »
Another black beauty!  :beerchug:

Offline Kendo

« Reply #398 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 02:27:12 PM »
That looks very good. I like the white edge highlights. It looks like a manga-Europa :)

How much space do you have around the car for spraying? The booth I built has a couple of areas only 2-3 feet from the car. So I'm a bit worried about moving around.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #399 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 03:15:43 PM »
Thanks guys.
Kendo,

My area is about 12' wide and 30' long approximately

Offline Kendo

« Reply #400 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 05:02:40 PM »
Well, I'm officially jealous :) I have about 11' x 16'. At least I won't get lost in there.

I look forward to seeing parts get put on the car. Reward for all the prep work.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #401 on: Monday,October 11, 2021, 05:52:48 PM »
Thanks!

This is definitely a cherry picked shot as most of the panels have some peel...but I didn't get it all wrong!

Offline Clifton

« Reply #402 on: Tuesday,October 12, 2021, 06:33:26 PM »
That pic is pretty impressive, even if it's cherry picked. It doesn't look like you will have much sanding.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #403 on: Thursday,October 14, 2021, 06:30:24 AM »
Wet sanding is progressing well. I should be done this evening. I'll get the car back in the booth and get the doors fitted to line everything up for the stripes. I am going to get some help from a friend to vinyl cut some stencils for me so I can gold leaf the text on the rear decklid instead of using the badges. I was playing with the idea of having the "John Player Special" script along the side of the car with the 1/2 union jack as it appears on the type 79. I would paint the flag on and do the script in gold leaf, but I can always add that later if I decide its missing something.... I'm also looking at slight modifications to the stripes. I think it looks slightly better to have the stripes at the rear stop on the side instead of turning the corner. Still a few more days to think on it...Does anyone have any interesting pictures or ideas for me to ponder?

I got the carbon fiber rear fitted. I haven't decided what to do with it yet... I was hoping it would hide a bit better against the black but it turned out to be very grey. I will most likely paint the top of the lid and leave the sides exposed. That way nobody will know unless they look at the engine and catch a glimpse of the sides. I am still planning to do the S1 doors and I would leave them in a similar finish. Painted outside, carbon inside.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #404 on: Thursday,October 14, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »
Just an idle thought but I wonder if the carbon weave would eventually 'print through' the final paint like fibreglass woven cloth does.

This might be more a feature of Polyester resin. Does epoxy resin shrink to it's final form in a shortish time?
I really have no idea.