Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 70568 times)

Offline Jmarkusic

Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #360 on: Thursday,May 27, 2021, 04:38:32 PM »
Nicely done.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #361 on: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 10:11:22 PM »
I am getting very excited now....The top skin weighs around 1.2 kg before trimming. I think it will be about 2kg with side structure and some minor additional support. I may need to do a honeycomb core and second skin if the center is too flexible. I have a feeling honeycomb will make it stiff enough to stand on....

I have not weighed my plug panel but after all the bondo required to get the fit right it heavy now... If anyone has a factory panel laying around I would be curious to know its weight. My S1 panels are considerably more robust than the TC version I used as a plug. I am planning to mold my S1 panels in the future because I only have one complete set at the moment. I threw the carbon panel on an S1 because it was the only car near by. I am going to make a few for some people so we will see how much better I get at laying the fabric.

I am going to order some spread tow Textreme fabric because it has some interesting properties for large flat panels. Plus it looks cool!

https://www.textreme.com/what-we-do/spread-tow-products/090-woven-fabrics/

Now to lay up the underside and bond them!

The last three pics are the splitter after I bonded the two pieces together. It is about 1/3 the weight of my factory piece, but again I'm not sure how much bondo I added to stiffen it for a plug.
« Last Edit: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 10:15:04 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #362 on: Friday,June 04, 2021, 04:09:53 AM »
Chuck,
I just weighed the one off my TCS. It weighed 13.3lbs with one screen missing out of it.
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #363 on: Friday,June 04, 2021, 05:14:57 AM »
Thanks Turbo!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #364 on: Sunday,June 06, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
 Chuck , sorry for the delay. i wanted to get the front bonnet weighed in before answering.
  The body panels look amazing, seriously, great work.

My bonnet weighed in at 12lbs-14oz with all the primer and paint. lol however the lock mechanism is off so i can re-paint panel

dakazman
« Last Edit: Sunday,June 06, 2021, 11:37:49 AM by dakazman »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #365 on: Sunday,June 06, 2021, 01:32:06 PM »
My hood/bonnet weighed 11.5lbs...

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #366 on: Saturday,July 17, 2021, 09:06:50 PM »
I laminated a second top skin and tried using slightly thicker uni. It came out slightly heavier but much stiffer.... I also ordered some nomex honeycomb to experiment with bonding skins in a sandwich arrangement. I am still working on getting a decent lay up of the support structure. The results so far are promising.....

My friend who used to work in a composite aerospace shop let me have some textreme to play with.

Can anyone comment about the improved stability that is gained from ducting the radiator out the top of the bonnet vs in the wheel well? I have heard that this offers a significant increase in high speed stability.

I hope to have some freshly machined hubs and brake caliper brackets to show you all soon...

Offline Clifton

« Reply #367 on: Sunday,July 18, 2021, 06:32:18 AM »
Can anyone comment about the improved stability that is gained from ducting the radiator out the top of the bonnet vs in the wheel well? I have heard that this offers a significant increase in high speed stability.

It's a rumor.  My radiator is front mounted and fully ducted out of the top. It does stay cool now though.

Online BDA

« Reply #368 on: Sunday,July 18, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »
Your car is really going to be interesting, Chuck!

I thought there was previously a discussion of reproducing the vertical "skirts" with the "turned up" ends with respect to reproducing a boot lid but I didn't find it after a short look. Are you making it so rigid so that those skirts won't be necessary and adapt an alternate method of fitting the boot to the rest of the car. For example, without having made any measurements, you might be able to raise the interior side of the rain gutter and use it to support the boot lid. Similar treatment could be used on the bonnet lid and with some rubber gasketing, you might solve the sealing problem some have there. It might actually be easier than trying to replicate the "skirt" around both lids. .

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #369 on: Monday,July 19, 2021, 05:20:19 AM »
Impressive stuff, Chuck. Many processes here that I'm unfamiliar with. Very interesting.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #370 on: Monday,July 19, 2021, 12:11:56 PM »
Impressive stuff, Chuck. Many processes here that I'm unfamiliar with. Very interesting.

Thanks! I wish I had Serge's talent for making videos. I would love to take everyone along for that side of the journey.

Your car is really going to be interesting, Chuck!

I thought there was previously a discussion of reproducing the vertical "skirts" with the "turned up" ends with respect to reproducing a boot lid but I didn't find it after a short look. Are you making it so rigid so that those skirts won't be necessary and adapt an alternate method of fitting the boot to the rest of the car. For example, without having made any measurements, you might be able to raise the interior side of the rain gutter and use it to support the boot lid. Similar treatment could be used on the bonnet lid and with some rubber gasketing, you might solve the sealing problem some have there. It might actually be easier than trying to replicate the "skirt" around both lids. .

Mainly I did this to get experience laying up a large 2 piece carbon part. I wanted to see how much lighter it could be than my bondo laden original. The stiffness is an added bonus, but I don't think it will buy me all that much other than I may have the only Europa with a totally flat boot lid when held up with a single prop stick... The honeycomb experiment is interesting to me because I have a few ideas for its implementation on future projects.

It's a rumor.  My radiator is front mounted and fully ducted out of the top. It does stay cool now though.

That is good to know. Thanks Clifton.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #371 on: Wednesday,July 21, 2021, 11:26:48 PM »
Progress! I completed my first prototype rear caliper bracket. There will still be some little tweaks, but it is close! I wont know how I did with spacing until I get the aluminum hat made for the floating rotor.

This is the normal powerlite without the ears because it fits much more easily. I still need to make the shorter outboard ear to clear the wheel.

I am still waiting on some lathe tooling so it should be next week before I have the hat turned.

My photography took some inspiration from Calvin and Hobbes tonight.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 21, 2021, 11:29:13 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #372 on: Thursday,July 22, 2021, 12:09:28 AM »
Brilliant as always Chuck. Thanks! It’s great to start the morning off with Calvin and Hobbes!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #373 on: Thursday,July 22, 2021, 03:29:14 AM »
Nice work!

Online BDA

« Reply #374 on: Thursday,July 22, 2021, 05:49:16 AM »
Very nice!  :beerchug:

Those are some big brakes!