Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 71125 times)

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday,June 16, 2020, 12:02:07 PM »
Hi Chuck,

This is a UK Special on the side that is least likely to have been rebuilt.  I'm pretty sure the other side has had repairs to the underside of the front cavity below the spare wheel.

I laid a straight steel box section across the top of my wings with the front edge at the front of the bodywork above the headlights and dropped a plumb line from the front edge. See the pictures it's clearer than explaining!

The centre of the repeater indicator, where the bulb fits, is 25mm back from the plumb line, towards the rear of the car, and 140mm below the bottom of the box section. 

Hope this helps,
Richard

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #256 on: Tuesday,June 16, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »
Hi Chuck,

This is a UK Special on the side that is least likely to have been rebuilt.  I'm pretty sure the other side has had repairs to the underside of the front cavity below the spare wheel.

I laid a straight steel box section across the top of my wings with the front edge at the front of the bodywork above the headlights and dropped a plumb line from the front edge. See the pictures it's clearer than explaining!

The centre of the repeater indicator, where the bulb fits, is 25mm back from the plumb line, towards the rear of the car, and 140mm below the bottom of the box section. 

Hope this helps,
Richard

Thank you Richard! I am in your debt! 

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday,June 16, 2020, 09:48:50 PM »
Hi Chuck,

Hope this helps,
Richard

Thank you Richard! I am in your debt!

No problem.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #258 on: Friday,June 19, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
Lotus position #2 - Flamingo style

Offline GavinT

« Reply #259 on: Friday,June 19, 2020, 07:23:31 PM »
Perhaps the proper shoes would make this easier, Chuck . . .

Offline BDA

« Reply #260 on: Friday,June 19, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »
I don't think any of us want to see Chuck in pointe shoes and a tutu!  ;D

Offline GavinT

« Reply #261 on: Friday,June 19, 2020, 08:48:29 PM »
Sure we do, BDA.
Just a couple more weeks of lock down and I'm confident you'll see the common sense in all this.  :))

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #262 on: Friday,June 19, 2020, 08:57:59 PM »
Perhaps the proper shoes would make this easier, Chuck . . .

You know I am willing to try anything at this point :) Just make the sanding go away!!!

I don't think any of us want to see Chuck in pointe shoes and a tutu!  ;D
Sure we do, BDA.
Just a couple more weeks of lock down and I'm confident you'll see the common sense in all this.  :))

It's funny that you posted that because I like to think of the Europa as an matured ballerina. The woman in your picture just needs some gold JPS stripes. Maybe we have been on lockdown too long... 

Offline GavinT

« Reply #263 on: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 06:24:22 AM »
It's funny that you posted that because I like to think of the Europa as an matured ballerina. [...]
Reckon there's something in that.
There's not many fifty year old cars that handle with such poise and grace.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #264 on: Monday,June 29, 2020, 12:15:38 PM »
Round 3 down. Started blocking with 320 and I am getting promising results. Could this be the final hi build?!

Offline BDA

« Reply #265 on: Monday,June 29, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »
That's looking pretty good. I'm sure you've seen it but just in case, there appear to be some sags around where the engine cover adjuster is in the rear. I'm sure that's an easy fix.

Great work, Chuck! I can't wait for the color coat!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #266 on: Monday,June 29, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »
That's looking pretty good. I'm sure you've seen it but just in case, there appear to be some sags around where the engine cover adjuster is in the rear. I'm sure that's an easy fix.

Great work, Chuck! I can't wait for the color coat!

Yeah it is a tricky part to spray especially with that 2.5 tip I am using on the polyester primer. They sand out pretty easy though. :)

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #267 on: Monday,July 06, 2020, 04:06:25 PM »
It has begun! I have a complete set of S2 lower control arms I purchased from a forum member a while back. They appear to fit just fine with the protech shocks I have. Is there any big difference between those and the TCS factory lower arms besides the welded boss which allows more clearance for the lower mount of the shock absorber?

My lower a arms were quite pitted and I had a hell of a time finding a nice pair of TCS series arms. I got the uppers from BDA and they are great!
« Last Edit: Monday,July 06, 2020, 04:09:30 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline BDA

« Reply #268 on: Monday,July 06, 2020, 04:30:01 PM »
I'm glad the uppers are working for you!

I'm pretty sure the TC and S2 lower arms give the same suspension geometry and the only difference was that boss for shock clearance. The stock shocks between the S2 and TC are different but I don't actually know what about the TC shocks required that boss - possibly a lower perch? I would think with the more modern shocks with adjustable perches, you would be able to use either S2 or TC lowers but I seem to remember trying S2 lowers and was not happy with the fit, but that is even more vague memory than my other memories so you should give it even less credence than you would usually give my memory! Since you're working with both, you might want to experiment.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #269 on: Monday,July 06, 2020, 07:39:38 PM »
I got a steering rack from a donor TCS and overall it feels very good. The inner tie rods don't feel loose per se, but they certainly aren't as snug as the outers. Is it common to have to service these? I seem to recall reading about injecting grease inside the boot with a syringe.

I also pinched the anti roll bar off the donor car, but the bushings are toast and it has been modified a little bit. Seems like it is easy enough to change the roll bar even with the body on, but I might be procrastinating with something that will come to haunt me later... I have read the stories that changing these bushings requires the help of the devil.

As soon as I get my hubs greased up I should be rolling on the front end.