Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 70564 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #60 on: Monday,January 13, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »
Very impressive.....  and that's some workshop kit you have there !  A real folding machine....   heck when I repaired my frame years ago I had to bend the steel into shape with G clamps, a hammer and a 4"x4" fence post (which explains the hammer rash on a couple of areas  ;)  )

Great work, I'll look forward to the next installment.

Brian

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #61 on: Monday,January 13, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately that is not my shop! It belongs to a a friend of a friend. The man who owns it makes deluxe deer blinds of all things and uses the brake to bend the aluminum siding for them.

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #62 on: Monday,January 13, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »
Very nice work Chuck!

I can see having the access to metalworking equipment makes everything so much easier. I had to have all the large pieces bent by a friend of a friend and did all of the small pieces for the T-section myself on a vice and welded everythin together afterwards. It took a really long time. I'm glad you don't have to go through the same.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #63 on: Monday,January 13, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »
Thanks man! The right tools definitely help... That being said I am going to try and fashion a die out of wood to flare that center hole. My connections ran short there. We will see how it turns out...

Serge yours looks incredible so the time was well spent! I am certainly trying to be patient with this, contrary to my usual impetuous self. I have to drive about 60 miles to check the measurements on the old frame...guess where I am going again tomorrow?  ::)

Offline Serge

• Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #64 on: Monday,January 13, 2014, 11:09:16 PM »
Thank you, I try to make the chassis as best as I can with my limited resources.

I too didn't have the means to flare the hole, so I cut out the flared hole from the old T-section and welded it in the new one, you can't tell the difference once it has been ground down smooth.

Serge

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday,January 14, 2014, 12:21:56 AM »
This looks very good. Keep on doing it that well and you will get lots of pleasure with the result.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday,January 14, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
Serge,

The original front "T" section is a double box section stacked one on top of the other.  It makes it quite a bit stiffer than a single box section.

John

Offline Serge

• Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday,January 14, 2014, 09:56:10 PM »
Serge,

The original front "T" section is a double box section stacked one on top of the other.  It makes it quite a bit stiffer than a single box section.

John

Hi John,

I agree that the stacked box sections are stiffer than one big one. Mine was made like my original one was (apart from some welded joints overlapping in stead of being from one large sheet). There are folds in the sheetmetal everywhere where there should be folds. I hadn't noticed that Chuck didn't have these on his T-section, but you are correct. I wouldn't make a new one without the separate box sections.

Kind regards,

Serge

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #68 on: Wednesday,January 15, 2014, 05:14:44 AM »
I noticed that S2 and previous frames shared this type of construction with two sections stacked like that. While twin cam frame construction varies in that it is a single folded box, it has two folded internal supports that are spot welded inside the box. I did not want to deviate from the original construction.

Offline Serge

• Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday,January 15, 2014, 05:53:26 AM »

Chuck you are correct, I did not know that there was a difference in the T-section as well as the backbone on the TC chassis. You are right for keeping the original type of construction. The S1 T-section also had the strengthening plates on the inside.

Serge

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #70 on: Wednesday,January 15, 2014, 06:04:48 AM »
Here are some detail shots for those interested.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #71 on: Monday,January 20, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »
I feel like it would be more prudent to save posts for a big progress update...But I am a shameless attention seeker, so with out further delay check out the flares!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #72 on: Monday,January 20, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »
A coat of paint and you will never know that those flares weren't done by Lotus, that looks as good as anything I've seen from a DIY workshop.  And there's nothing wrong with being a shameless attention seeker, if it weren't for such folks there would never be any forums or topics such as these.....   

I'm curious - why all the little holes in there ? They look to have been drilled deliberately along marked lines, is it for a plug-welded internal stiffener or something ?

Brian

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #73 on: Monday,January 20, 2014, 10:49:33 PM »
Yes precisely. If you look at my previous post you can see the internal support for the T section nestled inside. Your car should have them too!

Offline cal44

« Reply #74 on: Wednesday,January 22, 2014, 03:25:42 AM »
yee haw.........dang nice work.   Anyone that has a press.......impress's me
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines