Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 67590 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #120 on: Thursday,September 03, 2015, 09:14:27 PM »
Not much lotus stuff...yet. But here is what I have been up to! I sprayed epoxy on the back and side of the lotus wheels tonight. Hopefully I can get that part of them in color tomorrow. I am getting tired of this truck!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #121 on: Friday,September 18, 2015, 08:29:44 AM »
Back to Lotus stuff! So far I have painted the backs and sides of the wheels in my first attempt at BC/CC. I painted the wheels on the workmate to get good access. The black is epoxy primer, the first pic is color coat before any clear. I am happy with the results so far!

As an aside has anyone ever experienced any health issues as a result of spraying urethane paint? I was in a full paint suit with a new cartridge filter. Total paint time was maybe 1 hr and I had a high volume fan removing air from the room. The next day I did not feel quite right...kind of dizzy and disoriented. Needless to say I am going to invest in a supplied air respirator. Just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #122 on: Friday,September 18, 2015, 09:04:55 AM »
Looking good - now make sure to watch the tyre guy very carefully !

Painting - I've used a similar set up with a mask rather than fresh air breathing. I've not really had any problems even doing a full car in a relatively small workshop but.....

1. I buy new filters for every job and my mask has 2 filters rather than a single one.
2. I cover up as much as possible, even wearing gloves.
3. I don't spend more than a few minutes at a time (one spray gun is the limit when doing a car) before leaving the workshop for fresh air.  The fumes linger far longer than you'd expect and come off the paint whilst drying so I tend to paint (5 mins ?) and then leave for at least an hour before going back in.  On the same theme I tend to mix paint & fill the gun outside in fresh air. Fortunately we don't have anyone else living nearby so I'm not annoying neighbors.
4. I spray at relatively low pressures so there's not a lot of overspray or clouds in the air.  I think that helps a lot compared with spraying at 60psi like I used to do.

Brian

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #123 on: Friday,October 23, 2015, 06:51:16 AM »
Finally got around to painting the fronts!! What do you guys think? I need to polish the fins again as some tape left residue on them.

Also FINALLY GETTING THE DAMN TRUCK IN COLOR!!! That was the second coat of clear on the hood. It really smoothed out on the third one. I had a hard time hammering the clear on because it got a bit colder down here and all my activators are very slow....I am trying to play the safe side on the runs. Lotus progress soon I hope!
« Last Edit: Friday,October 23, 2015, 06:53:48 AM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline BDA

« Reply #124 on: Friday,October 23, 2015, 06:53:56 AM »
The wheels and hood look great! I hope you'll be out from under the truck soon so you can get back to work on the Lotus!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #125 on: Friday,October 23, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »
Thanks again for the control arms Jim! I can't wait to hook them up to the frame get it rolling!!

Offline BDA

« Reply #126 on: Friday,October 23, 2015, 07:46:54 AM »
My pleasure! Keep us informed of your progress!  :welder:

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #127 on: Monday,December 14, 2015, 07:25:05 AM »
Progress!

The lotus is back home, and the truck has been painted! I cleared out the garage to bring the truck home next week and begin the assembly.

I'm not sure if I ever elaborated on the circumstance of my paint booth. My friend let me borrow their abandoned house which was supposed to be torn down in October....They mercifully delayed the deadline for me several times. The picture of the cab in primer has a shot of my lovely mother who helped me do bodywork during crunch time! I showed her how to block and use bondo. She is a machine now! Unfortunately the house is coming down at the end of the year and I wont be able to paint the car in it. :( (It is probably just as well because the roof is caving in...)

the truck =  :deadhorse:

Only one hang up....I had a friend help me move the lotus out of its temporary residence. While I was loading a tub he took to "securing" the windshield....I had warned him to be VERY careful with it.... :blowup: Looks like I need a new windshield...

I have a set of Protech shocks and springs on order from SJ. As soon as I can track down a set of lower control arms I will be in business! (Nobody seems to have any! Rdent, Banks, Dave Bean, etc...) Hopefully I will have a rolling chassis by early next year.

« Last Edit: Monday,December 14, 2015, 07:34:23 AM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline 3929R

« Reply #128 on: Monday,December 14, 2015, 09:52:55 AM »
Go mom go! :trophy:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline BDA

« Reply #129 on: Monday,December 14, 2015, 11:13:18 AM »
Great pictures! Thanks, but they don't look at all like a Europa!!  ;D

Seriously, the truck looks great and if it goes as good as the motor looks, watch out!

Sorry about the windshield. At least they seem to be available, unlike lower A-arms.

Our regards to your mother. She sounds like a peach!

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #130 on: Tuesday,December 15, 2015, 12:02:45 AM »
Hi

Try to contact "Brammer" in germany i think have the lower arms

Greetings Frank

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #131 on: Monday,January 18, 2016, 05:27:49 PM »
Alright guys...minor progress.

I joined up at a co-op workshop in Dallas called Makerspace. They have them all around the country, and if you find one in your neck of the woods you should go check it out. The one in Dallas has some serious hardware including, 5'x10' CNC router, Haas VF2, two post lift, cnc laser cutter, 4 3d printers, mig/tig welding, 3D scanner, full wood shop, lathe, you get the idea.... The unbelievable thing about it is that it only costs $50 dollars a month to join and have access to all this equipment. Classes are offered on just about anything that they have inside.

I borrowed a dashboard to make a template from and modeled it in to CAD. I fired up the laser cutter to do a test piece in cardboard and it is pretty well on. If the dash didn't have those little rabbits cut in the back I would just cut the whole thing with the laser. I just picked up some nice Baltic birch to give to the CNC router as soon as I get the tool paths written. I am planning to make one skinned in carbon twill and another in mahogany veneer.

I also got the SVT focus lower intake manifold up and connected the r6 throttle bodies to it. Now I just need to make up some trumpets....

For those that are curious if I am done with the truck yet, I am not :( I am currently fitting disc brakes to it from an '86 truck. It will be nice to actually be able to stop. Hoping to get that thing wrapped up soon. It needs exhaust pipes and then it is ready to start throwing panels on!  :welder:
« Last Edit: Monday,January 18, 2016, 05:30:36 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline BDA

« Reply #132 on: Monday,January 18, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »
Looking good, Chuck! Just remember which one is the prize and to keep your eye on it!

Makerspace sounded really interesting.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #133 on: Tuesday,January 19, 2016, 12:47:04 PM »
I like the idea of the co-op workshop. That is pretty cool ..even 3D printers too...4 of them!  Same money as a gym membership 😁😁 but one hell of a lot more useful. Not heard of these in the uk tho 😔😔
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #134 on: Wednesday,January 20, 2016, 08:37:47 AM »
That is basically what it boils down to. Not all of them are as equipped as the one in Dallas. Ours has grown to have 1000 members and like any gym only 10% of them actually come with any regularity. It is all volunteer based so nobody actually owns it (this one is open 24/7). You are encouraged to teach classes about things that you have expertise in. If you get 3 people to show up to your class they comp your membership fee for the month. I am going to sign up to teach a carbon fiber class out there soon. If you don't have any in England...you should start one ;)