Author Topic: Never a straight line  (Read 26216 times)

Offline StephenH

Re: Never a straight line
« Reply #45 on: Sunday,August 10, 2014, 03:42:55 AM »
Obviously, I don't think you have to worry... It just got me to thinking...

There is a heat shield under the tyre and the headers are wrapped to reduce radiation, so it is fairly 'cool' under there :)
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Online BDA

« Reply #46 on: Tuesday,August 12, 2014, 06:25:40 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together! Last week, I gave up on the Sentra fan switch and got a fan controller from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CN4XZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It was pretty easy to set up, it's adjustable, and it worked right away. I adjusted it so the temp gauge stops just before 90 (which is where I remember the Twin Cam that came with it was). I let it idle in the garage for twenty minutes or so. The fan cycled a couple of times and it never overheated!!!  :beerchug:

I installed the Speedo and routed two wires from it to the back of the car where the speed sensor is. I was told by a guy at APT that I needed to hook them to the sensor. I found out this morning that I only need to hook one to the sensor and the other sensor wire is to be grounded. I just have to figure out exactly how it will be attached.

I felt that my speed sensor bracket was a little flimsy so I took it to a weld shop and had a gusset welded on it. I'm still concerned given that the gap between the sensor and the magnets that it sees is pretty tight (0.015) so I still need to look at that some more.

While I was fooling with the speedo, I found I couldn't work the passenger window lift but I dislodged a wire from the switch and now that works!

I finally dropped it on the garage floor tonight!  :beerchug:

Tomorrow, I'll set the rear camber, hook up the sensor, reattach the steering wheel, install the bonnet, and maybe adjust the passenger door better. I should be driving it before the weekend!

It looks like I'll make it to the LOG after all!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #47 on: Thursday,August 14, 2014, 07:57:12 AM »
I just took a look at the fan switch on Amazon and I'm wondering how you rigged up the push in temperature probe for your radiator.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Online BDA

« Reply #48 on: Thursday,August 14, 2014, 08:39:53 AM »
I was concerned about that, too, but the probe was small enough to slip between the tubes and the gap between the side tank and the start of the fins. It slid snugly without much effort. No leaks (yet  :) ). The leads from the probe run to the bundle of wires from the controller and plug in there. There is a wire for an override (normally used for A/C systems but they say it can be used for a manual switch. I didn't hook that up. If I do, I have a switch on the console that I have in case I install driving lights and I might be able to use that, but since it didn't overheat at all while idling in the garage, I doubt that will be necessary. The one thing that might be nice is a graduated adjustment. There is a small screw (that has a small sweep and should not be turned with force as it will break it) under a rubber plug that is used to adjust the temp that it turns the fan on. I just started at a ridiculously low adjustment (near the bottom of the range which starts at 150F) and walked it up till it was where I wanted it. It was very simple.

Online BDA

« Reply #49 on: Thursday,August 14, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »
It's ALIVE!!!

There are some rough edges to be smoothed (TLC with the carbs) and some things I need to check (like alignment).

The speedo never registered over 15mph, but I'm happy it registered something. Maybe I misread the instructions for programming it.

Lastly, I need new shoes! The souls on the ones I have lack grip and they could be A LITTLE narrower.

Here are some pictures.

Offline 3929R

Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #51 on: Thursday,August 14, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »
Nice looking bowling shoes...and in Caterham livery
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #52 on: Friday,August 15, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
 :coolpic: Congrats on getting it all back together. Man, that sure is one tidy looking Europa, and I love the Cosworth lump. Great stuff. Cheers.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Online BDA

« Reply #53 on: Friday,August 15, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »
Thanks for the nice words, Bainford. I still have a list of things I need to straighten out but driving it was a blast and a big relief!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #54 on: Monday,August 18, 2014, 04:55:48 AM »
Outstanding, I too have engine envy...if I had the disposable coin a Weber head would be the next project. Thanks, for the link, showed the image to my wife and asked her opinion. The big "Lebowski" would be proud...gonna get a pair! 

Online BDA

« Reply #55 on: Monday,August 18, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »
Thanks, Lou! Those shoes seem good but I know they are a tribute to Jim Clark but everybody else would think I stole them from a bowling alley! I may get them anyway!

I just ordered a pair from this place (http://www.shoebuy.com/hunziker-collection-clark/409380/871622). :)
« Last Edit: Monday,August 18, 2014, 08:18:06 AM by BDA »

Online BDA

« Reply #56 on: Friday,August 29, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
I had been having trouble getting my electronic speedo to work. Making a mount with hand tools was not working out as they weren't rigid enough. There were conflicting stories about the gap between the targets and the sensor. And on and on...

I talked to Chuck at APT (he's the guy you want when you want technical info there) about how to verify my sensor was working and he told me about a GPS antenna accessory for electronic speedos. It was a little expensive but I was really frustrated with the sensor problems. In two days I received it and this afternoon (after laying two pallets of sod in our front yard) I had it all wired up and ready to test. I checked with Chuck to make sure I wasn't going to burn it up when I turned the ignition on.

It works like a champ! I now have an accurate speedometer for the first time since I took the car apart! The only wrinkle I had was that the instructions that came with the GPS antenna were not very good but the company that makes them has better instructions online.

4380r got a GPS speedo from Speedhut (see here:http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=660.0) and that's a good option, but it didn't make sense for me. I already had an electronic speedo so I didn't want to buy another one if I didn't have to. I was skeptical that I could shoehorn the slightly larger Speedhut speedo into my instrument binnacle and although the Speedhut one that 4380r got is pretty close to a real Smiths speedo, the electronic speedo I had was still a closer match (though still not perfect).

I have an electronics panel in my engine compartment and I was able to mount it pretty neatly in an empty space. It's not the optimum orientation, but the only problem is that it takes a little longer to acquire the three GPS satellites.

If you need a new speedo (maybe your speedo gears went away like mine did) or if you want to use the Smiths electronic speedo, I think this is a great way to hook it up.

Here's a picture of how I have the antenna mounted. It's the white box on the right of the panel.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #57 on: Friday,August 29, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
That's a very neat wiring set-up. The work you guys are doing on electronic speedo's is going to come in handy for me at some point although I'm not sure the GPS ones are allowed over this side of the pond.

Very neat installation all the same.

Brian

Online BDA

« Reply #58 on: Saturday,August 30, 2014, 08:17:14 AM »
Thanks for the kind words!

GPS devises aren't allowed in Merry Ole England!! That sounds stupid even for the nanny state gooberments on both sides of the pond. I will say that I found another place to mount the sensor on my NG3 that may have solved a lot of my problems but I was just tired of fooling with it and nobody seemed to be able to give me the accurate story on the sensor. CAI's being in England would definitely help you guys over there though. Being able to fabricate a good mount would certainly help, too!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #59 on: Saturday,August 30, 2014, 09:13:06 AM »
GPS speedos appear to be a very grey area over here. Our annual MoT (Ministry of Transport) test used to be a sensible thing which basically made sure the car was roadworthy - stop/steer/not about to fall apart with rust, etc.  And things like speedos weren't included because although by law you must have one, it clearly has no bearing on how roadworthy the car is.

But now it is included, along with lots of other stuff which I'd call marginal and the 1970s 20 minute test is now an hour or more.  But as all MoTs are conducted on a rolling road brake tester inside buildings, a GPS speedo probably won't register and hence fail the test.   There was a question in one of the motoring mags recently about a guy with a Range rover who's speedo had packed in and I think he was using an app on his phone for his speed so he wanted to know if it was legal.  As usual our construction & use regulations are vague but the verdict was no.

Silly isn't it ?

(in truth the whole testing thing is crazy. I can get my car tested in the morning, drive home and promptly pull apart - say the brakes. I re-assemble it later, perhaps forget to put the brake pads in but I still have a piece of paper saying the car is roadworthy......  everyone is happy  ::)  )