Author Topic: Who's in the middle of a restoration?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline BDA

Who's in the middle of a restoration?
« on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 06:47:24 AM »
A few years ago we had toward 10 body off restorations going on on this forum. I haven't been keeping track lately but I know we have at least a few going on now.

Please don't be offended if I miss yours. Off hand, I know about Chuck (are you working two frame offs?), Serge (documenting his S1 complete restoration on YouTube), D'man (building his air conditioned black beauty), and Turbo (in the beginning stages of a major rebuild).

So if you're working on a significant restoration effort, please tell us a bit about it. Is it a body off? How far along are you? Are you keeping her stock? And anything else you want to say about it.

Edit: fixed iPad codes for '
« Last Edit: Friday,February 05, 2021, 08:06:02 AM by BDA »

Offline Dilkris

Re: Who%u2019s in the middle of a restoration?
« Reply #1 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 07:56:12 AM »
Hi Jim. I am rebuilding a 73 TCS (2227); I bought it in 2001 and started the rebuild when I retired in 2020, (well, I say retired but in reality I just ran out of people who wanted to employ me... :confused:).

"Yes" she most certainly is a "body off" as I bought her in pieces, (this I DO NOT recommend...). My target is to drive her down the road, (completed) on my 70th birthday.

To date, I have completed the engine, ancillaries and gearbox rebuild; the chassis is overhauled, (the latter was done by Spyder Engineering). I have been steadily overhauling/purchasing components for the "4 corners" and I am now finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. My approach to the rebuild has been to prepare everything in readiness for attaching to the chassis without incurring any hold ups; ie: at this point I will have a rolling TCS "Go Kart" (forecast this summer) at which point I will move onto the body.

I am keeping a record of all costs to date which I will post in due course for the benefit of people considering undertaking such a rebuild - note, being retired I have lots of time, but not necessarily lots of money, so for me it, has been very much a "hands on" rebuild.

I have posted with pictures on various subjects but have not posted progress pictures, I take my hat off to those members who have managed to do this; I do however have many photo's of the various stages of the build.   

Anything thing else you need to know please come back.       

Offline gideon

Re: Who%u2019s in the middle of a restoration?
« Reply #2 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 08:51:39 AM »
I'm doing a body off resto too.  This is my first significant car project and it's definitely been a lot slower then I had hoped for but I'm learning a lot on the way.  Right now it's in pieces, apart from the engine and transmission which I haven't touched yet.  The frame has been a bit of a saga.  The original was rotten, but the car came with a spare.  It turned out that the T section on the spare was bent.  I thought about replacing the T section - bought a tig welder, taught myself to weld, built a CAD model and finally decided that it was too ambitious for my skills and bought a third frame.  Then spent some time beefing up the backbone to T section joint on frame 3.  I assembled a wet blasting cabinet to clean parts and right now I'm sorting that out - I haven't quite got the slurry supply system working properly yet.  Hopefully it will be by the end of tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to the day when I can bolt the first parts onto the frame.

I plan to rebuild and install the original engine with electronic fuel injection and ignition.  I hope to shed a few pounds from car during the rebuild and gain a few horsepower from the engine.  Then it'll be painted pistachio lime green as it was originally.

Offline BDA

Re: Who's in the middle of a restoration?
« Reply #3 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 09:32:15 AM »
We're already up to at least six. I had forgotten to ask about 4129R. Time was he was working on several (at a time!) and maybe he's still working on one or two. So Alex, please check in!

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
« Reply #4 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »
Second full restoration in progress per the pic. Working on the dash and electrics since it's too cold to spend much time outside or do fiberglass. I have a few posts in progress re progress and mods.

Ron
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #5 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
Add me to the count! I just saw you had me listed BDA ;)
« Last Edit: Friday,February 05, 2021, 12:23:40 PM by TurboFource »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #6 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 12:43:53 PM »
I am, but it is a Sunbeam Tiger.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 04:25:44 PM »
BDA,  Thanks for the shout out .
  Louvers glassed in today but outside of vehicle, hose crimping tool showed up also😀

Pfreen, looks good! Nothing like a clean slate to start with.

Gideon, teaching myself to weld TIG and MiG also but need to modify my 3phase 220 line first.
Dakazman

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #8 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »
I am also trying to also learn tig and mig.  I like a fiberglass car much more thar a steel one.  The Tiger is unibody, so there is 5000 places for rust.
But, it is a Covid project to keep me busy, so I am learning a lot.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #9 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 05:12:23 PM »
Always wanted a V-8 Europa. Mock-up completed so now on to cleaning it all up. Still need to build the motor, 289 Ford. Porsche 5 speed. Was a difficult install, engineering challenge to say the least but it all  fits. Whether it all works, time will tell.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »
She’s going to be a monster, Kram! I hope you beefed up the frame a lot for all that torque!

I’d love to see more pictures!

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #11 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 05:42:05 PM »
Pfreen, Been down that road. Best of luck with the Rootes Group.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #12 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 06:19:11 PM »
V-8 Europa. A few more pic's

Offline dakazman

« Reply #13 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 06:22:51 PM »
    Kram, 👍 nice you’ll be one of a small group with a V8. :beerchug:

Paul,  it’s all about learning and watching YouTube videos. H Mastering comes with practice. Luckily I have lots of scrap to melt holes in. Especially the aluminum.

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »
Very cool value cover!

It looks like the engine encroaches into the cabin or did I see it wrong?