Author Topic: Parking permanently in an enclosed trailer  (Read 10 times)

Online LotusEuropa

Parking permanently in an enclosed trailer
« on: Today at 02:51:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am currently considering selling my small trailer and buying an enclosed trailer instead. It will be used to transport my classic cars and possibly as a "parking spot" for one of them.

The reason for this is that I would like to park my assets (cars and trailer) together and on private property. An additional garage is not available, but a parking space is.

I'm worried that that a change in the weather conditions will create a climate that won't do the car any favour. What is your opinion on this? Can the issue be resolved with countermeasures or should I abandon the idea?

Kind regards.
'55 Lotus Mk VI
'58 Triumph TR3A
'67 Lotus Europa S1A

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Parking permanently in an enclosed trailer
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:59:56 AM »
If the car is stored in an enclosed space, I would check it regularly for condensation.

Left outside, Europas seem to leak, some quite badly through the doors, and one I have left for about a year had 5 litres of water in the petrol tanks. Plus on some TCs, water gets into #1&2 spark plug recesses and sits there rusting the spark plugs.

Dry storage is the way to go, but condensation, particularly in sub zero winters, would be my concern.

Disconnect the battery, and when you take it out of storage, drain the petrol to check for any contamination. It is very easy to do with brass drain plugs at the bottom of each tank, a 5/8" ring spanner soon releases them.

Online LotusEuropa

Re: Parking permanently in an enclosed trailer
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:11:44 AM »
Dry storage is the way to go, but condensation, particularly in sub zero winters, would be my concern.

Thank you for your response. I have the same concern, that's why I am asking here.

"The ideal humidity for rust-free storage of automobiles is between 50 and 55 % RH (relative humidity)"
I'm not sure what the situation in an enclosed trailer is throughout the year.
'55 Lotus Mk VI
'58 Triumph TR3A
'67 Lotus Europa S1A