Author Topic: new member  (Read 65557 times)

Offline rascott

Re: new member
« Reply #195 on: Saturday,May 30, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
thanks for that.
i was pretty sure, but the bend seemed so deliberate.......probably compensating for something(?).
your rear longitudinal link is different, as is your actuator.
this appears to be an early version.
also have some plates and bearing for the shift lever end of things to replace that rubber dognut.
« Last Edit: Saturday,May 30, 2015, 06:07:02 PM by rascott »

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #196 on: Saturday,May 30, 2015, 06:54:35 PM »
They are a little different, same principle though... Mine is a 336/56, the manual only lists the 336/08 (old type) & 336/26 & 336/46 (new type), the main difference being opposite reverse gate patterns that I can see.  :confused:
From your pics another difference is your reverse light switch is external, as mine is internal, same side loader setup though...
I'm no authority on any of them but I would think yours should be straight too...

Offline rascott

« Reply #197 on: Saturday,May 30, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »
ya- my drawings could be interpreted to show it with a bend, but it's straight now.
the tag on the trans. claims it's a 336-46, but i am ignorant as to the meaning. there is some other number on the tag, also, but hard to read.
i have most of it sorted(except the actuator, which needs attention), and am trying to decipher the manual's adjustment procedure.
pretty much decided to throw money at it this time. added up fast.
perhaps i can revamp everything back to the gearbox before i close "shop" for other commitments.

observashun060115
spent a lot of time working over the linkage in "the tunnel". the front longitudinal link had some washers welded at the shift lever end, and that took a while to make work. amazing what a file and time can do......
it was much easier to disassemble the relay lever/transverse link arrangement than to refit it(it mostly fell out), and i have left it unfinished, for now.
i thought working in the tunnel was tight..........
« Last Edit: Monday,June 01, 2015, 09:48:19 AM by rascott »

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #198 on: Monday,June 01, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »
Mine is straight. Sort of.

Offline rascott

« Reply #199 on: Monday,June 01, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »
ah!
this looks very much like mine is supposed to. except i see no reverse switch.
my location link had a similar bend. now i wonder.....
mine is now straight, and, finding a bit more time, i succeeded in assembling the rest of the mechanism.
couldn't wait on real repair to the actuator- i used a bfh to beat it into shape, so i could see if it would work.
found all 5 gears.
feels pretty good- very definite "gates".
much better than ball joints w/no balls, missing bushings, and bent stuff!
i am quite pleased.
i replaced the gear shift mounting with a plate and bearing arrangement, and it feels like a fine replacement for that rubber dognut.
got it from rd enterprises, but believe it is made by jae(my side of the country).
look what somebody did to that end of the front longitudinal link........
few minutes here, few minutes there. comin' along.
« Last Edit: Monday,June 01, 2015, 05:02:12 PM by rascott »

Offline BDA

« Reply #200 on: Monday,June 01, 2015, 06:12:27 PM »
It's been a long time since I've seen that end of my front linkage (picture #2), but I think that's original.

Offline rascott

« Reply #201 on: Monday,June 01, 2015, 10:08:06 PM »
a washer had been welded to the inside of the fork. the bushings and pivot bolt wouldn't fit.
i kept filing until the washer was gone, and drilled the proper sized hole in it for the pivot bolt(new bolt and bushings).
i was unable to remount two of my rotten tires after replacing the rotten valve stems, so i need to get a couple more for rolling tests.
it seems i have control over the transmission, and now i'm interested in how functional the clutch is.
there is something at the end of the cable, and it does release, but can't tell much w/it back on the blocks......
this will have to wait for a couple of weeks, i'm flying off to virginia in the am.....

Offline 3929R

« Reply #202 on: Tuesday,June 02, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »
Some pics for comparison. I believe mine is stock except for the plastic bushings have been replaced with oilite bronze (did I already post these in a previous write up?). Looks like yours received some shade tree engineering when the plastic bushing failed.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline rascott

« Reply #203 on: Friday,June 26, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
Some pics for comparison. I believe mine is stock except for the plastic bushings have been replaced with oilite bronze (did I already post these in a previous write up?). Looks like yours received some shade tree engineering when the plastic bushing failed.
thanks for the pictures.
the stick mount plates look similar to the bearing/plate arrangement i have put in.
i am confident in my salvage(so far).
experiencing a slight "overcenter" between gears, and i may try a different interpretation of the adjustment procedures....
the  shop is opening again, and i am going to install a new clutch cable. there is something wrong with the right motor mount were the cable passes thru it- like it is bent(?)so that the cable is offline and trying to saw it's way out.
also experiencing enough drag in the throttle cable that a helper return spring is required to reliably operate. past experience is weber doesn't like that, so i'm experimenting with a secondary cable off a lever.
also trying to find a windscreen.
seems there has been a run on the market. perhaps a bunch more europas are coming onto the road.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #204 on: Friday,June 26, 2015, 09:52:11 PM »
I got my windshield at Pilkington Classics, original glass, (Triplex), great price!
Last time I checked Dave Bean (closer your way) had just got 12 of them, they wanted a lot more money for one though...
http://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/

Offline rascott

« Reply #205 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2015, 09:41:58 PM »
thanks- i have now checked w/dbean.
seems the closer i look, the more expensive the windscreen is(shipping is less, of course). dbean doesn't have them on site(currently nobody i've contacted in the u.s. does), but would ship from some other location(?).
found a source in the uk where the windscreen is the minor part of the cost.
not in a hurry yet---
i have cobbled a throttle control.
the throttle pedal has a nut on it that may be for some sort of pedal stop to screw on?
wonder what that looked like- a 3" long bolt?
still plan on replacing the clutch cable with a new one, probably monkeying with the rh motor mount to make the cable line up with the clutch lever.
still planning on playing with "adjusting" the shift linkage to see if it is doing a little binding between gear selection, or just supposed to feel that way.
then i think i need to do a little drive test.
if that goes well, the windscreen becomes more interesting.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #206 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2015, 10:20:24 PM »
I also bought my windshield from Pilkington Classics.  Shipping from the US to Canada was reasonable.

Offline rascott

« Reply #207 on: Thursday,July 02, 2015, 05:05:06 PM »
i must check w/pilkinton, appreciate the tips.
the right motor mount bracket had an interesting wave in it, and that seemed to make the clutch cable "offline" of the clutch arm.
removed it, beat it with a hammer, painted over the hammer marks, and will try it again.
hope it wasn't supposed to be bent.

'gressrept070415
have most of it back together, tweeked the shift linkage a bit to see what difference that makes, and put it back on the ground again.
still not satisfied with the clutch cable alignment, and the cable housing seems too long(mabe didn't pick the correct location for the front housing bracket).
still playing.

'mostuf070915
kept tweeking shift linkage, and may be getting somewhere with it.
the clutch cable still seems too long, but perhaps i have found the original front cable mount location, and will try a bit of function test again.
becoming more lively.

mortime071015
perhaps i found where to attach the clutch cable bracket at the pedal end of things, and added some clamps to restrain the flexing in the housing. seems better.

nxtdayitis071115
made a bit of a function test after running the clutch cable that other way again, and pumping up the junk used tire i got to replace one that wouldn't hold air at all. just a jaunt down the block and back.
ran up into third gear, and was able to stop without panic.
back in the driveway to let the tire leak down, and think about how to improve what i've done and have to do, so the next foray will be a bit more safe(and legal).
i am quite pleased.

'nuthndoin'072415
new windscreens are(apparently) being made now. join the lotto, reserve yours now.
nothing else accomplished, except some "shop" upgrades. better utilization of space(?).

bakatit091515
made her run better by jetting the idle down. only worked w/the low speed circuit so far, and i suspect the mains are too large.
working on making lights function.
wanna try a road test again, but need to figure  mirror fittings. i have none yet.

miataglas092015
found some mirrors offa late '90s mazda miata, that were a dark green(originally), that seem to fit and don't look too much like mickey mouse ears... also the interior unit may work if i can figure a mounting place(glue to the roof?).
be nice to have some view to the rear!
still stringing wire around for lights, and trying to salvage lamp fixtures.
still spending more time looking than working, but......
« Last Edit: Sunday,September 20, 2015, 07:12:39 AM by rascott »

Offline rascott

« Reply #208 on: Saturday,October 10, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »
the time is approaching to start putting this project into a more active mode.
there are many issues to resolve, but i expect to register and begin shake up runs by the end of the month.
i am working on making the lights work, and still need install/wire headlamps and figure out why the brake lights don't work.
the brakes seem to have aired up over the past couple of months, so mabe the pressure switch isn't bad......must not have bled them very well.......
everything is pretty crude, but i plan on making the wheels start turning.....
still haven't received a new windscreen yet.

muvon102315
windscreen approaches, as does my registration date(self imposed) and anticipated function trials.
a brake light switch is also coming(db eng.), so i will have mostly legal lighting.
have to find out what happened to the brakes- makes squishy sounds when i step on the pedal..........wt*!
pulled off the leaky mechanical fuel pump, and made a block-off plate for the hole.
there is more order to the wires.

yadayada102415
managed to "install" headlamps. both cans had been hammered in the back, and i had to smash one even more to clear the radiator.
made the lamps adjustable. one side seems almost correct(except for hammer modification), but the other is makeshift.
spent a lot of time removing the red coating that hadn't popped off around the headlamp area, and realize the finsh will not be finished for years.

blab102515
painted around the windscreen area in anticipation of future finish attempts after a successful windscreen install.
also added some finish to the headlamp area and realize much more old coating needs removal for any kinda finish to the finish......

hmmm110815
many takeaparts and putbacks, some developments in finish preparation techniques.
the windscreen has arrived.
haven't left the driveway yet...................

lazedayz111615
been suffering the "clock fall back" malaise.
have parts, but little gumption- get home when the sun sets........not much happens after my nap.
still haven't left the driveway.

hmmm112515
registered.
still haven't left the driveway.........

annodate112815
light a candle, the project is a year old.
haha. i'd post a picture, but this new fancy iphone6s thing is beyond me("get with it, dad"), and it don't look like much anyway.
got the license plates.
still haven't left the driveway........

sameday112815
found my brake problem. the bundy tube that crosses over to the left side(rear, to the swing arm hose) seems to be damaged, and leaks somewhere in the middle. and seems compressed between the body and the chassis.....
i had to pump a lot of fluid thru it before it started running off the chassis, so i could find it.
i will attempt to remove it in the morning..........
« Last Edit: Saturday,November 28, 2015, 06:18:25 PM by rascott »

Offline rascott

« Reply #209 on: Saturday,November 28, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
i'm pretty close to road trials(it's been a year already!), and thought that it would be fitting to update the europa registry(54/1846), when that happens.
i find no way to input a change/addition to the registry.
the remarks were descriptive, the photos don't look right, but hey- what do i know, it was(and still kinda is) a basket case.
still haven't left the driveway......, but once it does, it will do so frequently.
this is what my little rescue looks like today- haha!