Author Topic: new member  (Read 65310 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: new member
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »
In fact, I have to use it in the front because I can't get a floor jack under the car to jack on the frame until I lift one corner with the scissor jack.

I had the same problem after fitting the new (lowered) suspension. My preferred front lift point is the chassis cross member with an hydraulic jack but it wouldn't fit under the roll bar. Then I noticed the roll bar alignment was off with the lower suspension so I modified the drop links to be adjustable. And now everything fits....    one of those "strange but true" Lotus moments  ;)

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
My car is not as low as I'd like - even though I have adjustable Spax shocks. I am using the stock drop link length but the problem I have is the front spoiler is low and forward. I've not found a jack that is low and log enough to get under it and get to the frame cross. I considered making a quick lift jack of some sort that I could lift the front by itself but I don't have a whole lot of room in front of the car for leverage. Maybe something that uses a hydraulic "bottle" jack... A project for another day.

While I was looking around, I found an S2 jack pictured above on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-METALLIFACTURE-LOTUS-TWIN-CAM-EUROPA-JACK-AND-METALLIFACTURE-HANDLE-/351278101223?_trksid=p2054897.l4275). Even though he says it's for a TC, it's not like the jack that came with my TC.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 01:18:57 PM »
It's so long since I looked at mine (probably when I took it out for the respray 2yrs ago ! ) that I'm hazy on detail. 

Metallifacture rings a bell as the maker and I think they did ones for Jags as well. My old Marcos had one exactly the same as the Ebay advert you posted and the locating pin went into a metal plate on the underside of the car.  My initial reaction was the locating pin looked wrong for the Europa, but maybe that's for positioning the angle iron support ? 

I just can't remember (old age strikes again) but am sufficiently curious now that I'll take a look tomorrow.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #33 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 01:28:34 PM »
I made a couple of "ramps" out of 2X8" lumber.  2 boards thick - 3"-  gave enough clearance to roll floor jack under front of car.
of course, I'm a bit lazy.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 01:36:01 PM »
My dad had a E type Jag that had a jack as Rascott posted.
I used it to lift a Ford Capri. The lift arm just bent down, ruining the jack. I attempted to reason with Dad that it was better that it happened to me - rather than him, when he was trying to change a flat tire, on a dark and rainy night....
He just wouldn't listen to reason.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 05:00:33 PM »
A pic of mine, no angle iron just a locating pin... '71 S2 Federal

« Last Edit: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 05:03:17 PM by blasterdad »

Offline BDA

« Reply #36 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »
Interesting, blaster. Is there someplace on the body for that nobbin to go when you use it? Do you think you could be missing yours?

I sent a message to the the guy who was selling it saying it wasn't a TC jack (I think I'm safe there), and that he might be missing the angle iron - maybe the picture in the owner's manual is erroneous... Anyway, I haven't heard back from him yet.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 07:48:55 PM »
Interesting, blaster. Is there someplace on the body for that nobbin to go when you use it? Do you think you could be missing yours?

It could be missing the angle iron part for all I know, as I am definitely no authority on Lotus jacks, & our car has Porche 914 flares on it, so I have no way of knowing if there was a hole there for it originally or not. There is a hole but it is roughly at the front fender/door seam. There is no way I would try to use it there, (or anywhere else for that matter! :o). Could be one of Lotus's infamous drain holes...? :confused:
Anyway, if someone thinks they absolutely need one like this to go with their car,
 I would gladly give it to them... (Members only ;))

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday,January 07, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »
The hole in the sill at the front fender/door seam is for the door hinge pin.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #39 on: Thursday,January 08, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »
Well, two days ago I'd have sworn that the jack was a one piece thing like the illustration in the manual. Then doubt set in and yet again it just goes to show how easily I forget stuff. Two photos of the jack that came with my TC, complete with the original scruffy bag, the rachet handle and a rusty lever for taking off the chrome wheel trims (it was supplied with steel wheels).

Blasterdad, if you have the inclination to make the flat bracket I'll measure and post a better picture of it. Very simple to knock one up from 1/4" plate with a stub of pipe to locate it on the pin.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #40 on: Thursday,January 08, 2015, 01:50:42 PM »
Just when you think you know something as simple as what jack came with a car!

I guess there were two versions. Mine - see pictures earlier in this thread - and this one... I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight, Brian. Now I'll write the guy on ebay and correct myself!

Offline rascott

« Reply #41 on: Thursday,January 08, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »
looks like that nubbin fits the saddle.
rd enterprises lists the whole set(saddle part#046T0011) and perhaps is available.
i have to control my impulses sometimes- it is way too early to be thinking about a jack for use on the road..........i should also invest in a spare wheel to make it more useful.
btw- rd enterprises is being good to me. yay ray.

Offline BDA

« Reply #42 on: Thursday,January 08, 2015, 02:07:20 PM »
Yep. Ray is a great guy. In fact, I'd say that all of the Lotus vendors I've used have been very helpful (mostly Dave Bean, Richard at Europa Engineering).

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #43 on: Friday,January 09, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »

Blasterdad, if you have the inclination to make the flat bracket I'll measure and post a better picture of it. Very simple to knock one up from 1/4" plate with a stub of pipe to locate it on the pin.
Thanks Brian, but I can see enough from the pic you already posted !  :welder:
I also found this one on fleabay, (also missing the angle part).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-METALLIFACTURE-LOTUS-EUROPA-S2-JACK-AND-METALLIFACTURE-HANDLE-/221656333657?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item339bbf3d59&vxp=mtr

Offline BDA

« Reply #44 on: Friday,January 09, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
Yeah, that's the same one I mentioned above. He didn't sell it the last time.