Author Topic: So...a small job done  (Read 469 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
So...a small job done
« on: Monday,December 05, 2022, 02:19:32 PM »
Thought I'd enjoy some garage therapy this afternoon after work...pulled out some stainless AN hardware, 10x32 Rivnuts, and stainless #10 tinnerman washers.

Drilled out the remains of the pop rivets that held the rear body closers in the front of the rear wheel arch...installed the keyed rivnuts (with a smear of epoxy around the barrel before setting them...ran a 10x32 tap down to clean the female threads. and attached the closer plate to the body. Using screws, you can remove the cover at will to get at the bolts holding the petrol tank in (which I'll have to do when I put the replacement tanks in anyway), and being stainless...the chance they'll rust is eliminated.

Think it came out pretty nice. I'll do the other one after dinner. But, photos tell the story (and you can see the AN part numbers if you want to copy; you will need a rivnut setter, but those are available, and can be used to set these things, as well as threadserts in steel.  I use them A LOT, and many will attest...but they make disassembly and reassembly (not to mention access) a lot easier with regular hand tools.

Just another small job on the way to completion...
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

Re: So...a small job done
« Reply #1 on: Monday,December 05, 2022, 03:38:27 PM »
I wish I had done that. I would only add that the factory used some sort of sealing goo to keep (some) moisture and trash out. One thing I did do was replace the coated cardboard that came with the car with plastic sheet of similar thickness.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,January 01, 2023, 10:17:29 AM »
I can't see where you are here - is this a TCS? I cannot place the large sealed grommet in your photo's. I can visualize the closure pieces but nothing else. Looks good though  ;D   

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,January 01, 2023, 10:49:47 AM »
Those pictures were from a TC and the “grommet” covers access to the fuel level sender. I’m sure S2s and probably S1s have similar blanking panels behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,January 01, 2023, 03:33:34 PM »
Those pictures were from a TC and the “grommet” covers access to the fuel level sender. I’m sure S2s and probably S1s have similar blanking panels behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels.

The S2 and TC/TCS have the same panels (and same part numbers: X054B1271Z and X054B1272Z).  Don't see them called out in the S1 parts book.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,January 01, 2023, 03:35:45 PM »
I wish I had done that. I would only add that the factory used some sort of sealing goo to keep (some) moisture and trash out. One thing I did do was replace the coated cardboard that came with the car with plastic sheet of similar thickness.

I did that on 693R since I only had one of each, so I made up a set from plastic about 1/8" thick.  Worked out ok.

I still need to paint the inside of the arches with truck bed liner.  Just to clean up the appearance, you understand...;)
« Last Edit: Sunday,January 01, 2023, 03:37:28 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,January 01, 2023, 09:21:35 PM »
Nope, S1s don’t have those covers.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #7 on: Monday,January 02, 2023, 02:42:03 AM »
Thanks everyone - think I understand now.
My TCS never had the blanking plates in question (they had already been removed)  :)
Note: I bought my car in pieces - when I was young and didn't know much  :confused:     

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #8 on: Monday,January 02, 2023, 06:06:21 AM »
Thanks everyone - think I understand now.
My TCS never had the blanking plates in question (they had already been removed)  :)
Note: I bought my car in pieces - when I was young and didn't know much  :confused:     

No worries!

I shudder to think of the things I did on 444R (photo below, taken in Antioch Park, Overland Park Kansas, September 1983...younger, skinnier, and no grey hair) a few months after I recommissioned her back in the early 80s...but she has survived up to now (and the new owner in North Carolina has pretty much stripped 444R down to the pivot bolt on the shift lever to start the  third life)...I am a bit loathe to admit that it was me who did it.  But then, in 1981, we didn't have the breadth of knowledge, certainly not the community of people to bounce ideas/questions/debating points/etc off of, not to mention the almost instant access to manuals, tech info, photos, parts catalogues...we were pretty much on our own (and spending time on the phone with RD, Dave Bean, Fantasy Imports, Frank at Sports Car World, and others...devouring the shop manuals, memorizing the parts diagrams, hoping the next issue of ReMarque had a Europa tech article, and trying what made sense at the time). That my effort in '81-'83 lasted this long and the car is still among the 'known examples'...well...blame luck more than anything else.

I always say, when I learn something new or have to change a preconceived notion, "that's great to know!" and put it to use on the next go-around.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 03, 2023, 07:37:04 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,January 03, 2023, 06:59:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing this!