Author Topic: Initial wedge engine run in .  (Read 169 times)

Offline dakazman

Initial wedge engine run in .
« on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 04:10:14 PM »
   Coming close to starting my 821-30 engine for the first time .   First time for me also to hear an wedge start in real time. I’ve seen videos of engine starts that we’re not started in years but not initial run-in. What speed and how long?  Also a first run for the Weber 40 dcoe . Any advice will be appreciated.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

Re: Initial wedge engine run in .
« Reply #1 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 04:34:07 PM »
Here is a video that gives a good explanation of how to initially set the carbs in a reasonable setup for first starting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoUOcPYqDmU

He also tells you how to set the idle mixture by ear but my ears are not discerning or I’m not experienced enough or I’m just too thick to do that so I used a ColotTune which gives you a view into the combustion chamber so you can tune by the color of the flame. They say a blue flame is what you’re looking for but that ends up being too lean but a half and half blue/yellow flame works pretty well.

I’m interested in what others say about first startups. Thick old me wouldn’t make any distinction between your wedge engine and any other motor. Get oil pressure before you turn the ignition on, keep it running somehow at as low a speed as possible - certainly less than 3000 rpm. Monitor the oil pressure. Check for leaks, rattles, etc., try to adjust the carbs, burp the cooling system if you were able to run it long enough to get hot. In general, keep it very low stress.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 06:27:27 PM »
  Thanks BDA,
  I’ll get right on that video.
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,November 12, 2022, 05:54:46 AM »
Ok, I assume this is a fresh engine with a new/reground cam and resurfaced followers?  Or, a good used cam running against miss-matched followers?  If yes, you need to break-in the cam properly.

First:

- cam lobes and follower bases were coated with special cam/assembly lube.
- engine oil system was primed by cranking with no spark plugs at 10 second intervals until you got oil pressure.
- cooling system was filled and bled as best as possible using all the air bleeds at the rad and engine.  Overfill the coolant..
- heater set to hot.
- engine static timed.
- carb rough set 1.5T out from a light seat on the idle mix and 1T on the idle speed for the stock carb.

Start the engine and immediately bring it up to 2500 rpm minimum.  Don't go over 3500 rpm.  Hold it there for a minimum of 10 minutes, longer preferred, up to 20 minutes.  As the engine runs, monitor the warm up and bleed the cooling system as it pressurizes.  Watch for leaks.

Shut down and change the engine oil and filter.  Let it cool overnight.  Re-torque the cylinder head and re-set the valves.  Double check timing and set carb properly.

Drive normally but not to the redline and varying engine speed for 100 miles.  Change the engine oil and filter.

Drive normally but only to the redline infrequently to 500 miles.  Change the engine oil and filter.

Drive normally to 1000 miles.  Change the engine oil and filter.  Let it cool overnight.  Re-torque the cylinder head and re-set the valves.

Follow regular service intervals here on in.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,November 12, 2022, 09:42:51 AM »

Ok, I assume this is a fresh engine with a new/reground cam and resurfaced followers?   YES, Reconditioned/ resurfaced

cam lobes and follower bases were coated with special cam/assembly lube.   CHECK

- heater set to hot. N/A

- engine static timed. CHECK

- cooling system was filled and bled as best as possible using all the air bleeds at the rad and engine.  Overfill the coolant..
   I'm Using plain water until I leak check, then adding anti-corrision sealant afterwards, then draining and filling with proper antifreeze.

- carb rough set 1.5T out from a light seat on the idle mix and 1T on the idle speed for the stock carb.
  Rebuilt weber 40 DCOE I'll go back and check the settings called for.

Thanks John, the rest is all," need to do."  the drive normally will have to wait until I get the release bearing or pressure plate un stuck.

Dakazman