Author Topic: Advice on BaT reserve, but will list here first  (Read 260 times)

Offline jpane

Advice on BaT reserve, but will list here first
« on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 07:54:29 AM »

Before I go any further, I do plan to list my car on both groups.io and the lotuseuropa.org before any attempt to list publicly.
Sorry if I have posted much of this history before.
I just noticed the S1A offered in Chester Vermont, via Craigslist, as I try to get myself to list my recently restored TCS, 4158R, on Bring a Trailer. I have owned two Europas, a total of 33 years. First was 4339R that I picked up at the factory in1974 while I was stationed at Rota, Spain in the navy. (Actually, the Seabees, who most would agree were very different from the rest of the navy.) I was discharged from the navy that summer, and drove the Lotus 10K miles in Europe before shipping it home. Only sold it in 1985 when we moved to Vermont with tow kids under age 2. After recovering from cancer I bought myself another TCS, only 181 serial number from my first one. Bought from an owner on the Yahoo Europa list who autocrossed it in Texas. Enjoyed for many years, but about 10 years ago, the water pump went on its first drive in the Spring, after winter storage. I pulled the engine/transmission, pulled the head and replaced the front cover with Bean's casette water pump. Then I got intimidated by getting everything back together, and it sat in my barn. Last year I had the engine rebuilt, and asked an ex-Renault dealer I knew to have his shop reassemble the car. He took apart the transmission and refreshed it. (I'll have to check with him whether to call it a rebuild.) Now, two days short of my 76th birthday, I feel the need to own a convertible once in my life. Considering the used BMW 228/230i RWD that R&T raved about in a comparison with the m235 and M2 a few years ago.
I should mention the new dash and refurbished interior by a local guy who wins awards at Pebble Beach. (He restored one of the Bugatti Atlantic Coupes. Modest sign at his driveway "Richmond Upholstery, Home and Auto".)  And it has been repainted (red, not original white).
Wondering if anyone has advice on setting a reserve.
Thanks,
John

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: Advice on BaT reserve, but will list here first
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 08:21:32 AM »
jpane

It would help if you posted a few recent photos...

Online BDA

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 09:54:41 AM »
Pictures would help with setting a reserve. I’m not much help in assigning a value to it but I’d love to see your car!

Good luck with your sale!

For a convertible, I would advise an Elan, but whatever you choose, I hope it brings you joy!

Offline jpane

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 12:53:40 PM »
 I tried to post photos, but my attachment files were too large. I have not been able to reduce size and post.  I would greatly appreciate any advice for doing this. or any other way to get the pix on here.
Thanks

I should add that almost anytime someone on the list was making an upgraded alloy part, I bought it. Those were installed, though I still have all (?) of the original parts.

Online BDA

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 02:40:52 PM »
If you are using a computer, there are two main ways of reducing pictures. The "approved" method is spelled out here: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1379.0. The method I find easiest is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_55eg00H-w

If you have an Apple, I know there is a similar tool to the Windows Snipping Tool (and I think the latest Windows has another name for it)  so in those cases you might have to look around. I just display the picture on a full screen and use the snipping tool to save a copy of it in the resolution of screen which will be plenty for a good picture but not too big to post.

BTW - I only called the first method "approved" because our fearless leader, LotusJoe, posted those instructions. One method is as good as another if you are able to post the pictures!

If you're on a tablet or a phone, I can't help you. You might be able to find something on youtube to explain how to do it. It's amazing what you can learn to do from youtube videos!

Offline jpane

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 02:53:29 PM »
BDA, thanks for the references, I will check those links, although  I am on a Mac.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 03:25:35 PM »
The ipad has a very simple method for posting photos.  Let me know if you have one.

Offline jpane

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 03:50:37 PM »
I do have an ipad. Haven't used in a while, so I'll have to make sure photos from iphone and Mac are synced to it.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Online BDA

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 04:05:46 PM »
Apple’s snipping tool is started by pressing the “Apple key” + shift + 4. There’s a video on YouTube about it in a video called “How to use the snipping tool a Mac.”