Author Topic: roll pins  (Read 441 times)

Offline califkid_66

roll pins
« on: Friday,January 28, 2022, 12:21:03 PM »
im trying to find roll pins and i was thinking since its 7mm and not a standard size would it not be simpler just to drill slightly bigger and use a roll pin size more available
i presently have 7mm with another smaller roll pin in it so 2 roll pins per side
i checked on internet i can get 7mm from a supplier for 49 cents but shipping is like 40 dollars
i have a box full of roll pins different sizes
just trying to find an easy alternative thanks!

Offline BDA

Re: roll pins
« Reply #1 on: Friday,January 28, 2022, 12:28:58 PM »
I would expect that Alpine-America (http://www.alpine-america.qc.ca/) would have your roll pins (though they are closed for the winter. I would also expect that r.d. enterprises (https://www.rdent.com/) would also have the pins you need.

From your description, you probably have a 336 tranny which takes two roll pins (one fitting inside the other) for a 7mm hole. I think I would stay with the standard size hold and get the proper roll pins.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #2 on: Friday,January 28, 2022, 12:57:54 PM »
i have a drill and roll pins!!
was just trying to see if it was possible to use what i have

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Friday,January 28, 2022, 01:11:28 PM »
Without trying it, I wouldn't expect that it would be easy to get a good approach with a hand drill unless your output shafts are out. I also believe they are hardened and if so, that would make it more difficult still. Worried about spares? Get several sets of pins from r.d. Call me chicken, but I think using the prescribed parts is a better way to go. After all, are you planning on replacing your roll pins often enough to require more "standard" sizes?
« Last Edit: Friday,January 28, 2022, 03:57:26 PM by BDA »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Friday,January 28, 2022, 01:32:23 PM »
If you are talking about the two driveshaft to diff output shaft roll pins, drilling those out would be a nightmare. The diff shafts would be very hard, and drilling them in situ is not for the faint hearted.

If you are talking about the gearchange rod to gearbox selector shaft, be careful, there is not much meat left in the gearbox shaft.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #5 on: Friday,January 28, 2022, 01:45:18 PM »
i was thinking the same thing about the hardening part i was just trying to find a solution to ordering parts
after taking long drives i usually lift the front and back of the lotus to see if there’s any loose and to make sure everything is ok
i recently noticed that when i lifted the rear i had some loose moving the wheel 12 and 6 o’clock i noticed some play in the halfshaft  that is why i wanted to remove them and reshim and put new roll pins
the other option was to fab a twin link  but that was for later
i have to order shims so might as well get the pins at the same time
thanks for your help

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #6 on: Friday,January 28, 2022, 01:50:33 PM »
i was talking about the driveshafts but when i said drilling i didn’t mean to remove the roll pins i have a punch to remove them no problem what i meant was to drill the 7mm hole to maybe 8 mm cause i don’t have the 7mm roll pins but plenty of 8mm

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #7 on: Friday,January 28, 2022, 03:54:17 PM »
I have a dentist appointment soon...no drilling please!

Spend the money, and call Ray...
https://www.rdent.com you can find them in running gear section.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,January 29, 2022, 03:35:51 PM »
one little question how many shims do you usually get when putting back the halfshafts i would like to have the shims in hand before taking it apart

Offline GavinT

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,January 29, 2022, 07:04:07 PM »
Sparex Canada Limited carry 7mm roll pins.

https://ca.sparex.com/metric-roll-pin-pin-7mm-x-50mm-11623.html

For shims, it should be easy enough to find a pack of 1" ID shims in mixed sizes.
With the ones I bought eons ago, the OD was too large but it's easy enough to cut that down to size using tin snips.
Perhaps Sparex stock shims, too? . . otherwise try a bearing supplier.

Impossible to know what you might need.
Presumably you're doing a re-shim exercise and that may mean swapping out a 0.003" shim for a 0.005" one . . or something like that.