Author Topic: Jacking points  (Read 680 times)

Offline HowieRPM

Jacking points
« on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 02:00:14 AM »
Please excuse the relatively simple question but I am new to these delicate sports cars. For general maintenance  where is the best place independently front and back to jack the car up without risk of damage ?
Thanks
Neil

Offline Pete

Re: Jacking points
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 04:53:28 AM »
I’ve just had this issue.

I used the flat jack that came with the car and slipped it behind the front wheel and managed to reach the big metal section and jacked it there.

At the back I just stuck a jack on the metal bar below the reg then just two stands either side on the frame of the chassis
« Last Edit: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 04:59:58 AM by Pete »
Europa S2 1970 great car
Me complete novice mechanic..
Let’s see how the restore goes.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 05:00:40 AM »
  Here is another thread that may be helpful.
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2627.msg25245#msg25245

By putting, “jacking “ into the search box will also come up with a few more.
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 07:18:40 AM »
I jack under the front chassis "T" section.  I use a low profile jack and a thin piece of wood.  After it is in the air, I place jack stands at the outer parts off the "T" section.  At the rear I jack on the chassis tube that supports the transaxle mount.  I use this set-up for jack stands at the rear:

I will sometimes also use ramps under the wheels as jack stands, very secure that way.

Never, never, never go under a vehicle that is just supported by a jack, or multiple jacks.  It has to be properly supported by jack stands to be safe.

Do not place jack stands under the rear radius arms.  There are just box-sectioned, sheet steel and are easily deformed.

Lotuses are LIGHT.  This makes them especially dangerous as they are easily knocked off even secure jack stands.  Be careful as you try to lift or pry things while under the car.  You may accidentally knock it off the stands.  This happened to my friend as he tried to wiggle a rad back into his 70's Elite.  They found him dead several days later as his dog was howling from inside the house.
« Last Edit: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 07:20:47 AM by jbcollier »

Offline Pete

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 11:51:37 AM »
Sorry to hear about your mate.
I like the metal bar going across. That’s a good idea. I just had the stands going direct on the the back part of the chassis.
Europa S2 1970 great car

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 12:53:23 PM »
That really is a sobering story about your friend, JB. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

I like your method of holding up the rear too. Using three stands (one on either end of the 'T' and one under the rear hoop is a very stable setup. But one must remember that the front is jacked up and put on stands first, then the rear so there will always be at least three points of support. I occasionally forget this if I haven't climbed under my car in a long time.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 02:21:09 PM »
It happened in the 80s.  Sobered me up as a young mechanic.  Chap was absolutely crazy.  Speedometer spent most of its time on the other side of ton.  Probably would have died in a fiery wreck if he had lived any longer.  Heck, I got my start as a mechanic as my predecessor had built a monster Chev and something went wrong somewhere on the wrong side of 130 mph.  Wasn't even a recognizable auto part to be found, never mind body parts.  You can make cars fast but you can't change the laws of physics.

Offline Lotsof 3146 R

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,April 20, 2021, 03:38:49 AM »
I use a low entry high rise jack, that gets the car high enough to put the ramps under the wheels.
Then the ramps have jacks that take the car much higher.
This feels safe and enables me to get under the car without fear of collapse. If I need a wheel off then I generally don’t need the car so high and am not totally under the car.
A little bit expensive (£120 for the jack and £135 for the jackable ramps), but there is no way I can fit a 4 poster in my little garage.
The engine cover is held open by the plywood- and as it’s from the ground so I avoid jacking the engine cover into the roof.

Offline Pete

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,April 20, 2021, 05:39:17 AM »
Love the plywood. I use a broom in mine. Cos the boot stays make it sit too high in the garage.
Europa S2 1970 great car

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,April 20, 2021, 09:43:19 AM »
Those jackable ramps are really nifty. I've never seen them before.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor