Author Topic: 1st breakdown & hopefully last.  (Read 4470 times)

Offline rjbaren

Re: 1st breakdown & hopefully last.
« Reply #45 on: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 05:23:55 AM »
It's been a while but there has been much progress.  At the engine shop (PHP Racengines in Wauconda, IL), the jackshaft was replaced.  The distributor was converted to FAST electronic ignition and the Bean water pump went in along with the Mikuni carbs.  The engine went on  the Dyno and this was the key ingredient in the outcome.  When the engine was originally built it made 134 HP at 6100 rpm and 128 lbs. torque at 4700 rpm with Strombergs rebuilt by Joe Curto. 

The first Dyno run with the Mikunis on the repaired engine was not good.  The engine ran very lean.  The Mikunis were (pre-jetted) by Vintage performance before being shipped and extra jets were included, but the mixture was way too lean.  So a complete set of main jets were ordered and tried. The engine ran so lean at idle the engine builder thought the engine was problematic.  He found a miss on cylinders 1 and 4 which is unusual at idle, and swapped plugs, cap, wires, and then distributor.  He couldn't find the miss and removed the engine from the Dyno and removed the head to check.  The engine had only 500 miles before I dropped the screw in the distributor after his rebuild and he found nothing wrong.  The engine looked perfect inside.  So he put it back together and put it back on the Dyno.

The engine made power but the idle circuit was dangerously lean, and believed to be the cause of the miss, so now a complete set of idle jets were ordered.  Also, the main jet tubes have five different grooves where the e-clip can be moved to raise or lower the tube to change the how the jet is exposed when the throttle opens.  So after many runs and jet changes and checks on the air /fuel mixture gauge the optimum combination was found.   The engine builder specializes in Ford race engines and Twin Cams.  Built race engine are sent to him from all over the country for tuning.   I guess I'm saying he really knows his stuff.  He said the Mikunis seem to be very adjustable but they are not as easy to change jets as are the Webers.  The Webers have all the jets on top.  The Mikunis have jets on top and below in the float bowls so some time the bowls had to be drained and removed to change jets.

The end result was very good.  144 or so HP and 128 lbs. of Torque.  I don't have the print out yet to see at what rpms the figures were reached.  The engine builder was now happy.  He showed me previous Twin Cam runs he had done with Weber carbureted engines and the Mikunis were right there.  Most engines were between 140 - 145 HP.  By the way, my engine is a 1700cc, plus or minus a few ccs and he showed me runs of similarly built engines.

I delivered the engine to the shop to be reinstalled.  As is evident, after I did my chassis restoration, most of the work I have had done has been with my wallet.  I don't have the ability or the equipment to go this deep into the car.
I will give an update again when things are back together. 

But so far the stainless water transfer tubes are installed and the rear Spax shocks have been installed in the stock rear springs.  The adjustable lower control arms from RD Enterprises will also be going in.  The last and maybe next most expensive item to be done will be an hydraulic clutch system.  This will also be tricky.  I got photos of how the system goes together and bought the cylinders.  The only problem is the system in the photos is from a Renault.  The exhaust is different, the motor mounts are a little different, and the gear linkage maybe on the other side of the engine.  The mechanic at the shop said he believes he can make it work, but it will take some more time to fabricate brackets for the slave cylinder.

I have confidence in his abilities.  Their shop (Northshore Sportscars in Lake Bluff, IL) have been racing a Renault powered S2 for over twenty years and they win a lot of races at Road America, often time times with the fastest lap of the day.  They have made many such modifications to their car over the years so I believe I am good hands. 

In for a penny, in a for a pound.  Oh boy!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #46 on: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 06:34:23 AM »
Great result.  The only thing wrong with the Stromberg heads are the Stromberg carbs themselves.  Glad the shop took the time to set things up properly.

On the hydraulic clutch, it's extremely important that the clutch slave cylinder be EXACTLY in line with the clutch arm.  Even a little bit off to the side and you will get excessive wear in the slave.  Mine is not perfect and I have to change my slaves every 5 to 8K.  A bit of a pain but the beautiful, light action more than makes up for it.

Also, the master has an automatic adjustment built in (assuming it's a Girling-type cylinder) BUT, you need to adjust the play out properly at the slave end.  Otherwise engine vibration will cause it to randomly lose its "hydraulic" adjustment.

Use 1/4" line from the master to the slave.  I used an 0.70 master and it works well.  Tried an 0.625 and it was quite a bit lighter but the engagement was on the low side.  My trans axle is a 395 modified to have the clutch release on the left side.

Here are some photos of my hydraulic clutch install:

« Last Edit: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 06:38:52 AM by jbcollier »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #47 on: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 06:36:45 AM »
Great report! Very glad to hear things are moving along well. The numbers sound stout, she will be quite a runner.

Thanks too for the info on fitting/tuning the Mikunis. Very helpful info. I am anxious to hear your thoughts on them once you are back on the road.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #48 on: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 07:28:50 AM »
That motor sounds strong! Your builder seems to know what he’s doing! Keep us informed about how she goes together and runs when she’s on the road!

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #49 on: Friday,March 19, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »
Here is a picture of the slave cylinder being mounted on a fabricated bracket.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #50 on: Friday,March 19, 2021, 09:27:25 AM »
Here are pictures of the Mikunis.

Offline BDA

« Reply #51 on: Friday,March 19, 2021, 09:44:50 AM »
That looks great! The clutch slave setup is very nice!

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #52 on: Friday,March 19, 2021, 09:54:13 AM »
My question with the slave cylinder is doesn't that interfere with the shift linkage?

Offline BDA

« Reply #53 on: Friday,March 19, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »
My question with the slave cylinder is doesn't that interfere with the shift linkage?
Good point. I would think that as long as the cylinder and mounting is mostly inside the plane formed by the clutch arm, he's ok but I have a different linkage so I'm probably the wrong one to comment.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #54 on: Friday,March 19, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »
It looks like it is bolted where the shift linkage pivot bracket goes .... At least mine is in that spot.

I see now on your picture that the pivot bracket is still there.
« Last Edit: Friday,March 19, 2021, 12:32:16 PM by TurboFource »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #55 on: Saturday,March 20, 2021, 05:15:16 PM »
Since I didn't do the work I cant brag.  I believe the mechanic is just inside where the shift linkage passes.  The bracket that holds support/swivel in the shift the linkage is what is being fabricated to do two jobs. The bracket should hold the swivel/pivot in the linkage and the slave cylinder.  The ideas was to carry the shift linkage and the slave cylinder, while not disturbing the linkage.  If he mechanic can pull this off it will be great.  I don't like the cable actuated clutch.
As an aside, The mechanic is a 60 something year old mechanic.  I have the utmost respect for his abilities.  He is a craftsman, not just a parts replacer.  The shop owns and drive two race cars and he is the mechanic/driver for these cars too.  I worked in a British car shop for a couple of years and I know enough to be dangerous.  But I can pretty much tell who can get it done and who can't.
The mechanic at Northshore Sportscars gets it done.  Ill keep you posted in the following week.

Offline HelpMyLotus

« Reply #56 on: Thursday,March 25, 2021, 04:49:41 PM »
this has been a fantastic thread to read.  I read every word of every post and learned along the way.  I respect how you take credit for mistakes and accept that not everything goes as planned.  I once had a friend get stranded by his MGB.  We thought we checked everything until we stumbled on the rotor.  Though it looked fine and was nearly new, we swapped it to my mini and the problem followed.  I've also fought strombergs with enrichment tube seals that leaked and a hole in a diaphragm that was tricky to find. 

Your approach to the mikunis and fluid clutch are interesting.  I too will continue to follow.

My experience with the water pump is to be expected. My car sat for over 20 years without ever being turned over. I got it running and driving until one day my trans detonated. (whole other story).  I literally got the new trans in and dropped the car off the jack stands and my water pump started to drip.  I figured it was just a fluke until it dripped more, and more and more.  Ends up the inner parts had solidified and broken down.  I pulled the entire engine, reinstalled the new (standard) water pump and got to the pulley and realized I had the flange on backwards.  Off and out and fixed and this time I got it all the way to starting and it leaked. Two more times until the leak was so slight I let it ride.  It finally stopped.  As said before; I don't think there is anything wrong with a [correctly installed] factory water pump. Just run the car more than every 20 years!

Thanks again for sharing all you've done with your car.  It's both inspiration and fun to hear. 

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #57 on: Sunday,March 28, 2021, 08:15:17 AM »
Here is the engine back in place and a photo of the slave cylinder in its new bracket clearing the exhaust and shift linkage.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #58 on: Sunday,April 04, 2021, 04:51:25 AM »
Here is another update.  The car is home.  It runs and drives quite well.  The engine builder requested I bring him the car to analyze the exhaust with the new Mikunis.  He said he wants to put a probe in the exhaust to read the the air/fuel mixture?  I thought he was going to do it at idle, like an emission test, but I was wrong.  His associate Leo Franchi rigged it up installing an exhaust probe and a gauge and we went for a drive.  Leo Drove, I sat in the passenger's seat and held the gauge for him to read. 

Leo used to be a race car driver and BMW shop owner and he put the car through its paces in a way I would never do.  I didn't know a Europa could go so fast.  I hadn't fasten my seat belt and wished I had.  We were blasting down two lane highways over eighty mph multiple times.  OMG, Leo can really get a car going fast in a real hurry.   When we finished I was astonished by the way he can drive and the car's performance.  Leo he said he was only pushing like 40%.  He didn't feel the brakes were good enough to push it harder. 

Back to the exhaust gas.  It was pretty good.  Upon acceleration he loved it.  At idle and cruising it is still too lean.  There will be more re-jetting of the carbs maybe next week.  In my way more docile driving I noticed no matter what gear or where I am in the rev range, just give it more Welly and the car just starts pulling and feels like it will never stop.

Offline BDA

« Reply #59 on: Sunday,April 04, 2021, 06:14:38 AM »
Great report, rjbaren! It sounds like Leo has those Mikunis dialed in pretty good already, but he might get it even better! Can’t wait to see further updates!