Author Topic: Spade Terminal/Turn Signal  (Read 347 times)

Offline Footer

Spade Terminal/Turn Signal
« on: Wednesday,August 05, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »
I've been working on the wiring of my 1973 TCS and had no turn signals.  Narrowed the problem down to the turn signal switch in the steering column mounted stalk mechanism.  I have power going into the switch but nothing coming out regardless of the left or right signal.  While I was taking apart the switch, I routinely disconnect the contact points and clean them as insurance.  Well, one of them broke and I can't seem to locate a replacement or come up with a repair.  The terminal slides into a plastic housing with two others and they provide the contact points for power, right and left signals. The ends are exposed and the turn signal switch rolls a copper cylinder over the power and either the right or left, depending on the direction the the lever is moved.
I've included pictures to provide some size and comparison of the broken one along one that is intact.  I've looked in all the likely places, R & D, Dave Bean, eight or ten internet listings with no positive results. 
If any of you have a suggestion I would appreciate it,  I'm hoping you may have one that you'd be willing to sell me.  It could be cut out of a signal mechanism that is otherwise junk.  Would only need a short length of wire remaining for me to attach it.
Thanks for looking.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Spade Terminal/Turn Signal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 05, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »
New switches are not expensive and freshly made so no 50 year old plastic ready to crumble away.  That would be my choice.

Failing that, similar, used switches are frequently for sale on ebay.  Local British repair shops may also have used switches or junk ones they are about to throw away.

Just looking at the contact, could you not solder the wire to it?

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 05, 2020, 05:19:19 PM »
Could you solder the wire to the flat section just next to where the crimp broke off, or would that  make it too thick to slide into fitting?

Alternatively could you cut up a standard Male crimp connector to give a thin strip to solder to the same section as above leaving the crimp on the other end - that would be thinner than soldering the wire on.  You could then crimp the wire to the "new" crimp. If you can't reuse the contact anyway you would have nothing to lose trying this.

I see jb posted while I was typing this!
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 05, 2020, 05:20:56 PM by SilverBeast »

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,August 05, 2020, 05:25:07 PM »
Triumph Spitfires used the same switch and as JB says, they aren't that expensive and they're new. Here's the link from Moss Motors (https://mossmotors.com/turn-signal-horn-dimmer-switch) but any parts house that specializes in classic Brit. sports cars should have them. I also saw a few of them on ebay.

The trick is the plate that connects both stalk switches. The one for the Europa is unique to it so you'll have to retrofit the plate to the new switch. Since you've already taken the switch apart, you should realize that there are some spring loaded pieces so be careful replacing that plate.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,August 06, 2020, 10:40:06 AM »
Check this place out https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-60-terminals . I can't access the website because my browser is out of date and I'm on a work computer and can't change it, but I have a hard-copy catalogue and there are some terminals that appear similar to your photo, called 'male blade MBL'.

It's worth getting a catalogue anyway. A very handy resource for anyone doing electrical work on British cars.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Footer

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,August 06, 2020, 05:30:08 PM »
Thanks guys, I used everyone of your suggestions and have solved my turn signal issue.  I have spent a lot of time tracking this issue down to the switch and was about to give up and simply order a replacement for it.  Moss Motors has one that was suggested by BDA and JB . it also looks like it would fit right into my mounting plate as well as having the same configuration for the connector.  Simply soldering the remaining piece to the lead wire was not available because of the insertion depth the terminal needed.  However, I scavenged up a piece of copper that I don't know why i had.  After some trimming, it fit nicely under the terminal with enough length to allow full insertion.  Got it soldered together and it then needed some tweaking to be just right but in the end it's functional and works correctly.  This was one of Silverbeast's suggestions but I soldered it rather than trying to crimp it.  Bainford's link to the parts site was exactly what I was hoping for but they did not have the right size for my situation.
I should have taken more pictures along the way but forgot until the end.  The shrink wrap was necessary because of the unshielded proximity to other contacts, but this will provide some perspective even though the connection is covered.
Thanks again guys, your help is always appreciated.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,August 06, 2020, 05:38:08 PM »
Glad you got it sorted and you had a little adventure along the way!  :trophy:

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #7 on: Friday,August 07, 2020, 02:53:18 AM »
Glad you have sorted it.

I'm from Yorkshire,  we are well known for doing all we can to avoid spending money (though I bought a Lotus!),  which is why I have a garage full of stuff that "may come in useful" and have no room to work on the car inside!

Invariably when you do finally throw something away, you find you need it within a few days/weeks!